What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Oh my goodness. I missed this whole thing and reading the comments, I think I'm glad I did? I'm sure someone has made HCMT aware of FHCBM's condition?
i have a feeling rick george wrote down a note during that and passed it to Tucker

What did he say?
He decided to coach Mel Tucker up on the importance of great black athletes, how to relate to them so they feel comfortable in lily white Boulder, and emphasized that this is why 5 of his 9 assistants were black when he was head coach.

It was rough. Mel Tucker was an absolute professional and gentleman in response.

I don't think you believe that or didn't read "championship level". If you are recruiting "top few" classes (someday), there's closer to 1 than 5 in-state recruits.

2014: Christian McCaffrey, Starks, Ballage, Jones, Risner, Miller, Scott
2015: Lee, Anderson (maybe), Lynott
2016: Kemp
2017: Moretti, Dylan McCaffrey, Van Diest, Dalton Keene
2018: Jackson, Wildeman, Stanley, Borghi, Stenstrom (maybe), Robinson (maybe)
2019: Evans, Townsend, Miller, Johnson (maybe)
2020: Gentry, Atteberry, Keanaaina, Lee, Atkinson

I stand by my statement. Most years there are several good recruits.

Yep. I think Tucker should average 4-5 CO recruits a year with a whole bunch of in-state walk ons.

Edit: My post assumed he lands his targets. The state doesn't go 10 deep with guys who can beat USC, so those 4-5 are coming from a pool of 5-7 prospects.

Didn't you know that the biggest, most physical lines in the conference get dominated every week? No clue how USC, UW, Utah, and Stanford hope to maintain any level of success that way...

Not only that, but does Glen watch football? Does he think the Pac-12 DL speed is faster than SEC DL speed?

If so... yikes.

Not only that, but does Glen watch football? Does he think the Pac-12 DL speed is faster than SEC DL speed?

If so... yikes.
I think our linebackers are generally faster on average. Mostly because they're the size of safeties for the most part. But SEC DLs are easily the most athletic in the nation (while also being big).

I think our linebackers are generally faster on average. Mostly because they're the size of safeties for the most part.

The edge rushers in the SEC are freaks (there are some in the Pac-12 as well). You don't see the top teams going lighter.

I'm talking top few "championship" programs. In the end, there's a handful of takes by an Alabama or Ohio State on that list above.

He decided to coach Mel Tucker up on the importance of great black athletes, how to relate to them so they feel comfortable in lily white Boulder, and emphasized that this is why 5 of his 9 assistants were black when he was head coach.

It was rough. Mel Tucker was an absolute professional and gentleman in response.

Sorry. I was trying to gauge Mel T’s response. I was living for many folks melting here with Coach Mac’s cringe worthy call....

poor Mac. alzheimers is a bitch of a disease. Coach Tucker handled it with grace and i hope everyone else does too in the aftermath.

and, i hope folks remember that Mac meant well. and, that he is undoubtedly super-excited about this hire-- Mac has a career full of promoting and helping black coaches get ahead. that's who he is.

i guess we all knew we weren't getting through the hiring process without a Mac reference to the "great black ath-a-lete."

poor Mac. alzheimers is a bitch of a disease. Coach Tucker handled it with grace and i hope everyone else does too in the aftermath.

and, i hope folks remember that Mac meant well. and, that he is undoubtedly super-excited about this hire-- Mac has a career full of promoting and helping black coaches get ahead. that's who he is.

i guess we all knew we weren't getting through the hiring process without a Mac reference to the "great black ath-a-lete."

IMO coach mccartney was always very forward thinking and brutally honest about race, especially from someone in his generation. It comes off a little dated and sad because of his condition; but, he’s not totally wrong about Boulder’s whiteness or the dynamics of race in college football. I’m happy to read Coach Tucker handled the whole deal with class.

You mean like rush for 2000 yards and win the Heisman trophy?
That's the thing I don't know if everyone understands. Playing defense against passing teams isn't all that tiring. Sure, you have to run more. But you catch your breath and move on. What is absolutely exhausting, though, is fighting through 310 pound men who are coming at you strong for 3+ hours. That is what wears down a defense.

P.S. If you can mix power football with increased pace like Boston College innovated this year, then we're talking about an absolute nightmare of a CU team to face at altitude.

That's the thing I don't know if everyone understands. Playing defense against passing teams isn't all that tiring. Sure, you have to run more. But you catch your breath and move on. What is absolutely exhausting, though, is fighting through 310 pound men who are coming at you strong for 3+ hours. That is what wears down a defense.

P.S. If you can mix power football with increased pace like Boston College innovated this year, then we're talking about an absolute nightmare of a CU team to face at altitude.

As much as people talk about winning at altitude, you have to remember winning multiple road games every year is a necessity as well. Lightweight lines do not travel well.

I don't think you believe that or didn't read "championship level". If you are recruiting "top few" classes (someday), there's closer to 1 than 5 in-state recruits.
I won't bother to guess why you continually dismiss Colorado kids, but if you want to look at championship level, how about 1990? There were 44 football players from in-state. Some of the more memorable contributors over their time at CU were Rouen, McCloughan, Bradford, Biekert, Henry, Brunner, Kahl, Berti, Polk, West, Solomon, S. Embree, Dyet, and Steed. Several others were at least in the two-deep during their careers. The borders weren't entirely locked down, either - some top prospects went elsewhere. It was the norm for Mac: roster.aspx, if you care to look at other years.

Some of the takes by the last bunch of coaches were questionable, but they missed on a lot of high caliber recruits from Colorado high schools. The number of in-state kids starting at other top schools over the past decade plus makes me sick.

This verges on a quasi-religious dogma for me. One of which I am a principle disciple. All I can say is AMEN!

I am sure that Tucker watched the Coach Mac 30 for 30....where he said the Great Black Athlete dozens of times. He played Coach Mac's team while at Wisconsin and got steamrolled. "Playmakers on both sides of the ball". I think Tucker gets Mac....

Syracuse did this too. Babers’ adaptation of the AR to be more power oriented was really interesting.

Bingo.

I get the feeling we’re all really excited right now.
source.gif

Back