What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs Utah 12/12 10:00 AM Fox BIG NOON SATURDAY - GAME THREAD

I’m horrible at spotting penalties, but I saw Utah OL with handfuls of black jerseys and Buffs players being tugged back on a few plays. P12 seems to have some vendetta against CU. Starting with the whole CCG issue prior to this game, and then odd penalty calls against CU and zero against a handsy Utah team...
Absolutely!! On one play, their tackle had his entire arm around the shoulder/back of our DE as they ran around that end. No flag. It was a 15+ yard gain.
PAC 12 officiating is painful to watch, and more painful to us usually.
The Pass Interference call against JVD was ludicrous. He barely touched the back who ran into him, who then slipped and fell down.
And Utah’s first TD was an absolute pick play!!
Their DB’s had their hands all over our receivers, and only got called once (which was declined because Shinault made a great one handed catch, and then was unable to brace himself to hit the ice-turf because the DB was holding his other arm; I think he seriously bruised his shoulder for the rest of the game).

This.

i was amazed at the fact that we couldn’t clear our field, even though the snow had stopped long before game time. The residual piles of snow and ice directly led to a Utah TD at a critical moment.

In fact our field seems poorly prepared for most games. Huge torn up chunks, and I watch Broussard slip and stumble most games (he’s the person making the most dramatic cuts, obviously).

I’m not sure our field/turf scheme is the best one for the success of this team in this environment. I’m not sure when we changed over to this, but it seems to slow down the game speed overall.

I live right near the Rose Bowl, and the speed of play seems higher on that turf. (I hate the seating there though, and the UCLA “Yell Squad” is so painful to have to deal with, as to make games unwatchable.)
Has there been any real information on why there was such poor field conditions from the AD or other sources? Very sad situation for the players.

Thought came to me that Hagan wants to prove he didn’t screw up recruiting Davis and keeps trying to get him run. And it’s killing us. He’s barely serviceable.
More likely that he's trying to reward those who are putting in the work and doing everything he's coached them to do... regardless of talent level.

I look at Joe Davis like I look at JVD like I looked at Rick Gamboa. Will put in the work but get flat out beat on the field by more talented players.

More likely that he's trying to reward those who are putting in the work and doing everything he's coached them to do... regardless of talent level.

I look at Joe Davis like I look at JVD like I looked at Rick Gamboa. Will put in the work but get flat out beat on the field by more talented players.
Then KD needs to remind Hagan that his paycheck depends on putting best player in the game. Not the best practice warrior. Some people play with an extra gear. Davis doesn’t got it.

Then KD needs to remind Hagan that his paycheck depends on putting best player in the game. Not the best practice warrior. Some people play with an extra gear. Davis doesn’t got it.
Agreed. I get that you have to reward those who do things right or no one will care to, but he's leaning too heavily on that. Clayton should be played more.

When Hagan was a player, he witnessed Coach Mac bench Figures when he screwed up, despite his talent. Hagan also rode the pine behind Aunese when he came in. Both supremely talented players that developed stronger character by being taught there are things you have to do to earn playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if those experiences influenced Hagan into making the personnel decisions he does today.

This.

i was amazed at the fact that we couldn’t clear our field, even though the snow had stopped long before game time. The residual piles of snow and ice directly led to a Utah TD at a critical moment.

Johnson and Coach Barnett commeted that they didn’t see anyone slipping, but I saw a ton of CU defenders slip.

In fact our field seems poorly prepared for most games. Huge torn up chunks, and I watch Broussard slip and stumble most games (he’s the person making the most dramatic cuts, obviously).

I’m not sure our field/turf scheme is the best one for the success of this team in this environment. I’m not sure when we changed over to this, but it seems to slow down the game speed overall.

I live right near the Rose Bowl, and the speed of play seems higher on that turf. (I hate the seating there though, and the UCLA “Yell Squad” is so painful to have to deal with, as to make games unwatchable.)
Several times (like the 1st or 2nd play) Buff defenders got a good rush, but couldn't cut or change direction at full speed, while the QB just took a step up or to the side.
There have been times when teams have tried to take advantage of bad field conditions, but I don't think that happened here. Although utah was viewed as a defensive power, and a slick field should help the "O", as they know where they're going. Someone well-paid, had specific responsibility for field conditions, and they decided this was what they would do. It's not realistic to think someone wasn't paying attention or overslept.

Several times (like the 1st or 2nd play) Buff defenders got a good rush, but couldn't cut or change direction at full speed, while the QB just took a step up or to the side.
There have been times when teams have tried to take advantage of bad field conditions, but I don't think that happened here. Although utah was viewed as a defensive power, and a slick field should help the "O", as they know where they're going. Someone well-paid, had specific responsibility for field conditions, and they decided this was what they would do. It's not realistic to think someone wasn't paying attention or overslept.

I agree. I doubt any of this was purposeful. I just think our choice of field turf is—maybe— not the best for our climate or team speed. The fact that you can’t clear it after a snow, and it remains iced and slick, seems a questionable choice.

Come on, they played on the same damn field. If the grounds crew ****ed up, idk? What I do know is that's not why we lost.
Excuse me for opening my mouth. I NEVER said the field is why lost. I said the field was poorly prepared and unable to be cleared for a post-snow game, which seems a poor choice for a stadium in Colorado. And I question our choice of the field/turf, as it seems to reduce game speed compared with other fields.
Noticing our players slipping and falling is noticing facts, and there is no question they got a TD because our safety slipped trying to react off the line. That makes the game more random than it needs to be, since it wasn’t snowing for some time prior to game time. When stakes are high, especially, I hate to see a crappy field impact the play of the game. (re Missouri?) Yes, it’s frustrating to watch our players slide when they are in position, when that shouldn’t have been an issue.

Sure snow games happen. That’s football in CO. 1. It wasn’t snowing; 2. Our field seems to suck for efficiently being cleared of snow.

Excuse me for opening my mouth. I NEVER said the field is why lost. I said the field was poorly prepared and unable to be cleared for a post-snow game, which seems a poor choice for a stadium in Colorado. And I question our choice of the field/turf, as it seems to reduce game speed compared with other fields.
Noticing our players slipping and falling is noticing facts, and there is no question they got a TD because our safety slipped trying to react off the line. That makes the game more random than it needs to be, since it wasn’t snowing for some time prior to game time. When stakes are high, especially, I hate to see a crappy field impact the play of the game. (re Missouri?) Yes, it’s frustrating to watch our players slide when they are in position, when that shouldn’t have been an issue.

Sure snow games happen. That’s football in CO. 1. It wasn’t snowing; 2. Our field seems to suck for efficiently being cleared of snow.
Was wondering yesterday why we don’t cover the field pregame rather than attempt to blow away the ice and snow. Assumed too expensive to purchase a field cover as we are apparently a poverty program 😜

Again, last time I checked, there were two teams out there. Did they have magic shoes? I don't give a rat's ass what you said, I probably didn't read it. They played on the same field, period.

Again, last time I checked, there were two teams out there. Did they have magic shoes? I don't give a rat's ass what you said, I probably didn't read it. They played on the same field, period.

Not on the same page on this discussion!!!

Both teams were on the same field and Utah was better! HCKD said that.

We need to have better field conditions!
Do not want injuries, do not want players to be concerned playing on it.
99% of fields would have and should have been covered. A covered field is easier to clean off either way.

Not on the same page on this discussion!!!

Both teams were on the same field and Utah was better! HCKD said that.

We need to have better field conditions!
Do not want injuries, do not want players to be concerned playing on it.
99% of fields would have and should have been covered. A covered field is easier to clean off either way.
Go bitch to the grounds crew or RG about it. It still doesn't change what I posted already.

Didn't they shut down or cap off the heating pipes under the field? That would have been useful to use this past week.

Was it during this game that the announcers said that they couldn't use "frozen tundra", insinuating that it was copyrighted or something?!?!

That is one of the greatest lines in that NFL film . . . "On the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field"

Was it during this game that the announcers said that they couldn't use "frozen tundra", insinuating that it was copyrighted or something?!?!

That is one of the greatest lines in that NFL film . . . "On the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field"
I took that comment as “Frozen Tundra” is a redundant. By definition a Tundra’s soil is frozen year round.

Here's the story: Buffs w/Landman >= Utah

Buffs w/o Landman < Utah

As we have all said a million times this year, depth, esp. at LB, is a huge weakness. Utah is a better program than us because they have a good coach, who has been there forever, and he has built the program the way he wants it.

In the time Utah had had Whittingham, we have had 5 head coaches, none of whom are as good as him. Maybe Dorrell can surprise us and be as good and stick around as long as that guy, or maybe Whittingham can get stupid and chase the money in the SEC or Big Ten.

Until then, I don't see us catching up to the Utes.

Back