1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU's 5 penalties for 70 yards

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

There are penalties and then there are penalties.

I don't remember the order, but I do remember 4 huge ones that pretty much define a team shooting itself in the foot.

1. Crawley with a pass interference that negated an interception.
    2. Sanchez with a hold that negated a big kickoff return.
    3. Walker with a halo infraction that negated a fumble recovery on a punt.
    4. Kough with a chop block that negated a run inside the 10, stalling a drive.

Anyone remember what the 5th penalty was for?

Regardless, between turning the ball over 3 times, getting a punt blocked, giving up an 80 yard TD pass, not being able to complete a simple throw to a WR running open down the sideline, going 2/5 in the red zone and horrible clock management in the 2nd half... that game was a textbook case of finding ways to lose.

But within all that, I think the types of penalties at the moments they occurred were probably the biggest back breaker.

2. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Wasn't it our receiver going out of bounds and coming back in or was that them?

3. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

The punt interference was actually a good call since walker stepped on his foot but the chop block was complete crap. The hold on Sanchez was a little tacky as well.

4. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

At the time I thought the PI call on Crawley was a bad one. Had a few drinks in me so admit I could be wrong.

5. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

The KC PI was lol as well. The refs bailed out a terrible duck that Wittek threw, you don't usually see that called.

6. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

It's also nice to know that Sefo is still good for a pick or 2 a game.

7. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Wasn't it a Witherspoon PI call where he didn't turn around and made early contact?

I thought the single most crucial moment of the game was not getting a safety when the ball was fumbled into the endzone and their OT was running it out, or when Whittek was stopped a few yards inside of the end zone and - in addition to the refs not blowing the whistle for stopped forward progress (which was inexplicable) - he somehow got out of the endzone. Then we fumbled the punt.

TDbuff and FlatironsBuff like this.
  8. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

+1. That sequence was vintage CU snakebite.

9. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Or the Powell fumble on 3rd & 2 which lead to a 9 play scoring drive aided by the AW interference and 6-10 point swing.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

QUIT MAKING ME RE-LIVE THIS GAME!!!!

Bufffan68 likes this.
  11. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

All great points, but remember, you can never blame the officials for anything that happens, right?

12. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

Everyone thinks that blaming the refs is just an excuse. I do think the refs had a huge impact on this game with a couple horrible calls that turned out to be crucial plays for CU. We may have even won the game had these calls gone our way but I do not blame this loss on those calls. Take away our incredibly boneheaded plays and we win that game by 14 to 21 points, even with the refs bad calls.

13. fwbuff

fwbuff Active Member

If he got out of the endzone, then how, exactly, was his forward progress stopped?

The refs had that one right; don't blame them. I blame the 5 guys on our defense who couldn't stop a QB from dragging them 4 yds to get out of the endzone.

NBDefektor likes this.
  14. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Because he was being pulled out by his OL? Which by the way is a penalty.

15. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I did see this during the replays, and it was very obvious.

Still, overall, the ****ty refereeing could have been overcome if we didn't keep hurting ourselves.

16. Quattro

Two agree with everything here

17. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

I understand CU shouldn't have been in position to have the bobble at the end matter, but they were and it did. If that was the only blatantly horrible officiating snafu, then I would not say a word about the refs. However, a case can be made that the reason they were in that position in the first place was due to the other 5 blatantly horrible officiating snafus, that negated game-changing plays for CU. One horrible call, OK. But five, and all of them coming on game changing plays? Gimme a break.

18. fwbuff

fwbuff Active Member

Have you ever seen that called though?

Seems like in those situations, the refs generally just let the players play. Sort of like pass defense on a Hail Mary.

19. Quattro

So refs should just ignore certain rules in the rule book?

20. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

If you watch it again, you'll see the WR stumbled and Crawley had little choice other than to run into the guy or defy Newton's Second Law of Motion.
    The chop block was non-existent: the UH guy was not engaged by any Buffs player when Kough pancaked him, as both TV announcers observed and the color commentator upon watching the KO return replay admitted he could see no holding by Sanchez. Those refs just made stuff up; gotta keep a FB program in Hawaii and old Norm needs all the help he can get!, ya know!

21. Quattro

Even if the WR didn't stumble, the ball wasn't even close to catchable.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  22. fwbuff

fwbuff Active Member

You didn't answer my question.

Regarding your question, I don't want the refs calling every play to the exact letter of the law. They could, per the rule book, call holding on every single play of every game. Illegal contact on DBs, too. Have you ever exhorted the refs in a basketball game to "let them play" in the last 2 minutes of a game? Or would you prefer ticky-tack hand-check fouls be called then?

For me, in a situation like the one in question, where half the defense and offense are trying to move a pile one way or the other, I'm good with the refs letting whichever team wins that battle of strength have the outcome of the play.

23. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

My point in this thread was "shooting themselves in the foot" not "the refs shot them in the foot".

Bad penalties at inopportune moments.
    KC missing the tackle by going for the strip on the 80 yard td pass.
    Sefo missing a wide open Shay down the right sideline.
    Not closing the deal on getting a safety on 2 straight plays (poor tackling).
    Powell not seeing (or being able to make the cut) to the left and running himself into a no-gain & fumble.
    Defense not being able to force field goal attempts after the punt block or with the short field. (6 points vs 15 is the game.)
    Shay diving to cover a punt and fumbling away great field position.
    Burning 2 timeouts on the opening 2nd half drive that resulted in no points (in QB sneak situations, no less).
    Missed assignments in pass & punt blocking (physical/technique plus mental recognition errors).
    Interception in the red zone where Sefo and Frazier were on completely different pages.
    Shocking play call, poor throw and mistake of not running the ball to the ref on final play.

Add all that up and put it against the Buffs only losing by 8 points and I see a team that beat itself in a game it would have won comfortably if it had played disciplined football. And that's the source of my frustration with the opener.

24. Quattro

Yes I have seen it called. That's not an excuse either way for the refs to ignore that rule. An official can't choose what rules apply, they can determine the severity with plays like holding and PI, but most of the time the ones that are called are very obvious.

25. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

They can choose not to enforce certain rules which conflict with their religious beliefs.

26. Quattro

Do they get suspended though?

27. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

How many yards is it for eating shellfish, again?

28. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

Half the distance to the long line.

29. BUFFS14

BUFFS14 Well-Known Member

The bad part of it all is we are not good enough to overcome the penalties or the turnovers, or the poor officiating. It happens every week in every game. If have to be good enough to overcome these obsticals and move on. We are not.

30. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Don't know where else to post this but was Hawaii intentionally having their players fake injuries? Were they stalling? It sure seemed like it to me.