What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dan Hawkins might have a new HC job

agree. oh and Texas State it's burnt to the ground, ya know?

Those Bobcats better get their claws out.

The Wiki entry for Texas State is enlightening. Only university in Texas to issue a batchelors degree to a US president. 55th largest student population in the US. Fabulous access to an outlet shopping mall.

Francione is a good choice for them. He'll do well there, if just for a couple years before he starts moving up the coaching ladder again.

Can't imagine Dan Hawkins would receive more D-1 interest than GB these days. We weren't ranked 1nce under his leadership.

Can't imagine Dan Hawkins would receive more D-1 interest than GB these days. We weren't ranked 1nce under his leadership.

Dan Hawkins is like the useless geek lots of the cute girls liked in school. He pays attention to the right people, says stuff to make them feel better about themselves, and is just goofy enough to make them think that they are special. In the end he doesn't accomplish anything and people see him for the sham job he is but by then he has moved on to a different group of suckers. Oh and by the way when he gets his teeth kicked in by the big, bad, bullies they all feel sorry for him and he gets even more attention because he was the civilized one, even though it was his big mouth that started the fight in the first place.

I think Danny is going to have a hard time getting a D1 job - he doesn't exactly make "networking" a priority

I think Danny is going to have a hard time getting a D1 job - he doesn't exactly make "networking" a priority

Assistant for Peterson at Stanford, maybe? Or better yet - Peterson to Stanford and Hawk goes back to BSU in some capacity.

Assistant for Peterson at Stanford, maybe? Or better yet - Peterson to Stanford and Hawk goes back to BSU in some capacity.

I don't know about BSU, he ticked off a lot of people when he left and a lot of others seemed very glad to see him go. Don't think that there are a lot of people there who would want him back. It also would be pretty awkward to have the ex-HC working for a new HC.

The Stanford idea might make more sense. If Peterson can be successful there and Hawk is a successful coordinator it might put him back in line for a D1 job, probably a non-AQ school but still BCS level.

So, how do you think Hawk explains his lack of success at CU during an interview? "You have to understand, when I took over, that place was burned to the ground, it really was."

Special teams coach? Hawkins? Does he even know what special teams are?

Special teams coach? Hawkins? Does he even know what special teams are?

Head coaches usually make good special teams coaches since pretty much every coach is involved in coaching special teams and a former HC is used to managing a coaching staff. On that same not, ST Coordinator is a great training ground for a future Head Coach (probably better than OC or DC).

Head coaches usually make good special teams coaches since pretty much every coach is involved in coaching special teams and a former HC is used to managing a coaching staff. On that same not, ST Coordinator is a great training ground for a future Head Coach (probably better than OC or DC).

Hawk's idea of special teams was to have Kent Riddle clinic every other special teams coach in the US. Hawk paid absolutely zero attention to special teams, and it showed. I'm a big believer in the value of special teams. Look at the Jets game yesterday. It came down to two things that the Jets did very well - a kickoff return and a field goal. After 59 minutes of evenly matched offensive and defensive football, it was the Jets special teams that won the game. Hawkins was more worried about which of his players had a twinkle in his eye than he was about coaching fundamentaly strong football. I wouldn't want him near any team I had a rooting interest in, especially not as a special teams coordinator.

Hawk's idea of special teams was to have Kent Riddle clinic every other special teams coach in the US. Hawk paid absolutely zero attention to special teams, and it showed. I'm a big believer in the value of special teams. Look at the Jets game yesterday. It came down to two things that the Jets did very well - a kickoff return and a field goal. After 59 minutes of evenly matched offensive and defensive football, it was the Jets special teams that won the game. Hawkins was more worried about which of his players had a twinkle in his eye than he was about coaching fundamentaly strong football. I wouldn't want him near any team I had a rooting interest in, especially not as a special teams coordinator.

When it comes to special teams, there's nothing bigger than the little things.

I was making a general point.

It wasn't my intention to dispute the fact that Hawkins licks tapir taint.

All joking aside, Hawk was a pretty respected coach before he got in over his head in Boulder. He won a bunch of games at Boise and didn't have any trouble getting assistant jobs before becoming a HC.

I sure wouldn't want to hire him as a head coach for a major program and his welcome is long gone in Boulder but in the right situation he may turn out to be an asset.

All joking aside, Hawk was a pretty respected coach before he got in over his head in Boulder. He won a bunch of games at Boise and didn't have any trouble getting assistant jobs before becoming a HC.

I sure wouldn't want to hire him as a head coach for a major program and his welcome is long gone in Boulder but in the right situation he may turn out to be an asset.

Hawkins is a fraud.

Along the lines of what Nik said, Hawk is a snake oil salesman. I have to admit, I was on board with the hire and he had me fooled. I would think that the experience he had in Boulder will severly limit his opportunities moving forward. Any talk of him becoming a HC is just crazy talk right now.

Don't know, seems like the jury is still out. While the Hawk never really took flight in Boulder, I still get the sense that, at another school and at another time, he might be effective again. One way or the other, we're free of him now, give or take a couple million dollars, and the future is looking brighter every day.

I think in a couple of years our special teams would have turned around and led us to a big 12 championship.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Hawk was a fraud, but his approach absolutely was a failure at the BCS level. I do think his "approach" to coaching/recruiting/... could work again at lower level schools. I think he's best suited to a small school, low/no expectations, always an underdog, maybe 1-2 big games a year, where getting 3* recruits is a HUGE accomplishment, minimal admission standards, little to no major media presence.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Hawk was a fraud, but his approach absolutely was a failure at the BCS level. I do think his "approach" to coaching/recruiting/... could work again at lower level schools. I think he's best suited to a small school, low/no expectations, always an underdog, maybe 1-2 big games a year, where getting 3* recruits is a HUGE accomplishment, minimal admission standards, little to no major media presence.

The worst thing that ever happened to our program under Hawk was Boise beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. All it did was to bolster Hawk insistence that his "way" would work in a BCS league. Boise wins, Hawk is now justified, and his hard-headedness screws CU for the next 2-3 years. Oh yeah, then them beating TCU in the Fiesta last year didn't help either...but at least Hawk was one foot out the door at that time.

I agree. But, he is not likely to be forgiven in academic circles for some of his public comments during the scandal. If he had been he'd be getting more interest. It's also possible that he's just chosen to retire and has told his agent to tell anyone that inquires that he's not interested.

Don't know, seems like the jury is still out. While the Hawk never really took flight in Boulder, I still get the sense that, at another school and at another time, he might be effective again. One way or the other, we're free of him now, give or take a couple million dollars, and the future is looking brighter every day.

verdict: guilty of sucking massive balls

Back