1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Plati's future

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Clean Undies, May 29, 2013.

1. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Should he be updating his résumé?

2. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

A lot will depend on what the next AD wants from his SID. If he wants a guy who has utter disdain for the fans, then Plati is his guy.

3. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

Sacky in with the first comment on Plati .............. shocking, I tell you, SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

pretty sure only Sacky and 199 more are on Plati's bad side

5. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

We do need at least some type of new blood that will embrace the digital age and cultivate local journalist relationships. I'm not sure if PR lands on Plati's shoulders, but our PR department needs an overhaul.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The AD has a PR department?

I don't know what Plati's future will be. New boss and all that. But I do know that there are areas where Plati is among the best in the biz and that Bohn didn't use him properly. For example, that disaster of an Embree farewell presser was not organized or managed by Plati - it was taken out of his hands and handled as a university presser instead of an AD/SID event.

7. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Bottom line for next AD is this job will not be easy. For the all the good Bohn may have done, there is much more that is yet to be done. However, assuming the new AD actually has the support of the University (big if), then much of what needs to be done should not be too difficult. Except of course for that $200 million we need :)

8. sackman

I may never forgive him for the way he handled the powder blue game. He showed his true colors (pun intended) on that one. He hasn't done anything since to show any respect for the people who pay his paycheck (the fans). Maybe he doesn't think it's his job to show respect to fans. He should, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

9. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

no specific comment on Plati - but there are way too many lifers in our AD and foundation. Its basically impossible to get fired, that does not breed an environment of excellence.

10. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Plati is considered one of the best in the business. If he gets the axe (which I doubt), it would not be very good for CU's continuity. The man knows EVERYTHING about CU.

11. AlferdJasper

Is there some reason you want Plati fired? I am not following the logic of this. Some whipper-snapper fresh out of (the recently eliminated) J-School is going to do a better job than the man who coined the term "red zone?" Seriously?

12. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Concur. He's very good at what he does.

Interpersonally, I don't get the warm fuzzy from him, but I think you have to be in a very specific place (dedicated, and active fan on a chat site, and possibly a banker) to get a sense of said "contempt".

13. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I dont want Plati fired i should state that for the record.

That said there was a twitter convo a while back between some folks in the SID's office about an even they all attended in the early 90's together, that is too long for a core group of people to work together, you have to bring in outside tallent, fresh perspectives and new skill sets. CU doesnt do that they run the foundation, the SID's office and several others like it is the DMV the only way people leave is that the tallented younger folks move up and out, or someone publically embarasses themselves.

14. sackman

I think it's a great idea to have a SID who is openly confrontational with social media.

15. Uncle Ken

I knew you'd come around.

16. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I like Plati ok, but this is a big and legitimate gripe. The lack of understanding regarding new media and sites like Allbuffs is extremely frustrating.

17. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

I worked for several Denver-area newspapers from 1992-97, and covered dozens of CU football and hoops games. Even in the early part of his career, Plati was an arrogant d-bag. Most requests were met with some sort of wiseass look or remark. I can only imagine what kind of bloated insufferable a-hole he is now after being around so long.

18. sackman

Just an observation, but I think social media (like allbuffs) represents a threat to him. He's unable to control the message, so he attacks the messenger. OTOH, why should he change, it's not like newspapers are going away. Print media will be around forever.

19. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

F Plati.

20. AlferdJasper

Let's say you're right. How would having a Sports Information Director who didn't care to control the message benefit your school and team?

21. sackman

When he doesn't realize that the time for controlling the message is long over. The "story" is going to get out there whether he wants it to or not. He would be better served to embrace social media and accept that he can't control it as opposed to getting petulant over his inability to control what information is and isn't appropriate for public consumption. He's hurting the school by clinging to an archaic system of information distribution. Social media, in this case, is made up of CU supporters. The traditional media is not. He'd have a better audience with people who share his desire for a better athletic program. That simple fact is lost on him.

22. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Plati is pretty much as everybody described. He is a legendary stats/information guy known throughout sports, but he is a douchebag to the fans. I think he can be effective if his new boss can basically set him straight on some of his actions.

23. sackman

If Plati were serious, he'd register on this site and give his own accounting of things.
    Let's be brutally honest here - allbuffs is the best source of information on CU athletics. Better than the newspapers, better than the electronic media, better than the official AD website. Wouldn't it be a good idea to embrace that outlet?

24. Uncle Ken

You think that is a better strategy than creating a new log in when something breaks, and on the first post, that new user starts a new thread sharing an opinion that favors the AD, but is contrary to the general fan belief?

25. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Truth. Why not incorporate a fan forum into the actual AD site? Bring your clientele even closer to your product.

26. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Re: Plati

As a general rule of thumb, no business should keep a person at their job longer than 15 years or so. Stagnation, complacency = dwindling market share.

27. AlferdJasper

For one thing, there are compliance issues. If the AD runs an open forum on the site, they would have to monitor and be vigilant about any potential violations. When someone's post was removed, there would be screaming about 1st amendment rights.

Hey, maybe it's just me. But I work in a similar field. The institution controls the message on their end, and the fans come up with their own spin. And for all the amazing and interesting things that come out of Allbuffs, it is NOT the source of information as the AD is. It's just different. They are more accountable than a fan-run website.

28. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

I would settle for the administration not periodically giving press conferences that would be required viewing in a PR 101 class of what NOT to do. Nate Kreckmann's response on twitter to the Bohn firing was to ask whether CU was going to have another press conference because they have best press conferences ever...and not in a good way.

29. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Didn't they try that, fail, and have it generate Netbuffs?

30. sackman

The irony is that I'm not exactly the picture of a perfect physique myself. I'm bald, fat, middle aged and have bad skin. So what?