1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeAD TEAM WALKIN'!

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I wonder what they are having for their last team meal?

Sorry for the gallows humor. My parents used to tell me about the juggernaut Notre Dame team coming to Dallas to play a bad SMU team back in the forties. Notre Dame had been undefeated for 37 straight. The SMU locker room was like a funeral parlor. As they prepared to take the field, Kyle Rote walked up to head coach Matty Bell and said, "Coach, I'd just like to shake your hand." Rote reached out his right hand as did Bell. Unknownst to him, Rote had one of those shockers in his hand and when Bell shook his hand the shock made him jump through the roof. The entire team cracked up laughing.

SMU played the game of their lives, taking Notre Dame to the wire before falling 27-20. Notre Dame went undefeted and won the 1949 National Championship. I always loved the stories my parents shared about the SWC and their friend Doak Walker. I hope our guys can just loosen up and make themselves proud.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the best underdog story i've heard about that and team prayer is from my OU step-dad. sometime in the 70's OU is playing in Lincoln. and someone gives the team prayer before they take the field. he says: "Dear God, please let us play to the level of our ability, with respect to our opponent, and injury free. and, also, please God don't let the best team win." OU guys are laughing their ass off running out of the tunnel in Mausoleum Stadium. play loose.

sort of average OU team beats Osborne and a better NU teams in Lincoln (again).

JWP303 likes this.
  3. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

The University of Oklahoma is the only team in FCS (Div 1A) with a 40+ game winning streak..... I'd go with this story and 21 straight at the time though..... 2nd link....

http://collegefootball.about.com/od/history/a/history-streak.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_NCAA_Division_I_football_winning_streaks

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

no love for Ken Dorsey era Miami in that article.....they had the same # of wins as USC. given 01 MIami and 04 USC are the two best teams of the decade....a little love for that Miami team and Dorsey.

5. DBT

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

I think he is actually calling your parents liars. :huh: :smile2: :popcorn:

7. unbiasedtruth

No not at all, nor your parents like some would like to think. I just know with age comes distortion of events......:lol:

8. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Ya know, I do remember a certain team about 4 years ago, coming off an atrocious 1-11 in 2006, with a 1st year HC, having been pounded already in 2007 by UCLA, Arizona St, and Oregon, going into USC as 41 point dogs and shocking the world...Stanford.

Hopefully Stanford's forgotten that and walks out today like that overconfidant USC bunch, and we play the game of our lives, and well, you know...

Not saying it'll happen, just sayin...

9. DBT

I found a site where you can find almost every team
    s record for every season and just counted 'em up. Cool site. I'll see if I can find it again and link it.
    http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/byname.htm

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  10. DBT

Oops. I went back to the site. They had not lost in 37 straight. In 1945 I counted from their first loss to the top instead of their last loss at the end of the season. So, from 1946 to the last game of 1949 against SMU, they had not lost. Still pretty impressive.

11. DBT

The irony of OU's streak is that it started after a loss to that football power house Santa Clara and ended with a loss to Notre Dame. Another irony, for my story anyway, is that my dad attended OU during their streak.

12. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

I think my grandparents actually drove from Pueblo to take my dad to this game. They were HUGE Notre Dame fans (yes, Catholic) before my old man started attending CU.

13. DBT

So it is likely that my dad and your grandparents and your dad were at the same game rooting for opposite teams! Six degrees of separation, man!

14. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Is Kevin Bacon somehow involved as well?

15. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

It's not gay if it's a three way.

16. unbiasedtruth

cool, thanks appreciate all CFB football sites I can find.....

check it out after the 2nd half of the game right now an ABC