What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Direct TV wins

I would be shocked if the NFL truly wants to limit its revenue by not allowing greater access to its product.

I would think that allowing more providers and access to streaming would bring in a higher net revenue for the NFL.

I can see DTV carrying NFL Ticket, but I would be surprised if they're the exclusive carrier.

I agree though that if you want P12 Net you won't be seeing it on DTV anytime soon.

What if the NFL tickets cuts a deal with DTV, but it is not exclusive. Then NFL goes to DISH and charges them 30 cents on the dollar compared to the DTV deal. That would be delicious.

I'm still waiting on the day that the Pac-12 Network can be streamed online for like a $9.99 monthly sub or something like that. I have cut cable TV out completely and I don't regret that decision. Based on the number of people unplugging from cable TV, Larry Scott better get his stuff together or he will be gone sooner than later.

I'm still waiting on the day that the Pac-12 Network can be streamed online for like a $9.99 monthly sub or something like that. I have cut cable TV out completely and I don't regret that decision. Based on the number of people unplugging from cable TV, Larry Scott better get his stuff together or he will be gone sooner than later.

There's more to PACN being headquartered in Silicon Valley instead of Los Angeles than just keeping it close to the conference office.

What if the NFL tickets cuts a deal with DTV, but it is not exclusive. Then NFL goes to DISH and charges them 30 cents on the dollar compared to the DTV deal. That would be delicious.
"never happen" all this google talk etc is a pipe dream

i was very lucky and fortunate to be watching all of the buffs game this year -- streamed for FREE. that's right FREE!!!! the game against csu was from a streaming site (not to be named -- PM me if you want it), and the rest was from, actually, the pac12 (again, PM me if you want the info as well). yeah, i was a happy camper to be watching all of the buff's FB game. heck, i even downloaded all of the football game this season LOL (PM me if you want this info, too).

Except the NFL deals will have the same protections for the carriers that the PAC-12 deals have. Give somebody a discounted price after you sign a higher cost deal with another carrier and they both get that price.

Except the NFL deals will have the same protections for the carriers that the PAC-12 deals have. Give somebody a discounted price after you sign a higher cost deal with another carrier and they both get that price.

Come on Junction what happened, you used to be sharp.

For those of you who dont have the pac-12nets and like college basketball you are really missing out. It was something I clearly didnt know I needed until i had it.

"never happen" all this google talk etc is a pipe dream

That is what TV, Radio, and newspaper's said years ago when someone said the internet was going to steal their lunch - how is that going for them?

That is what TV, Radio, and newspaper's said years ago when someone said the internet was going to steal their lunch - how is that going for them?

Speaking more holistically about the industry, it will take live sports to truly disrupt the existing model. Everyone know this, and this is why all the leagues are commanding premiums.

In the us, the nfl is the crown jewel by far. It isn't even close. The bidding for Sunday ticket is going to be epic.

If google or amazon or Microsoft win it, it will be a historic shift. one thing I wonder about is reach. The nfl doesn't want people struggling to get their games. Another is whether they will do any real exclusive deal this next time or if they will effectively go direct via multiple distribution channels.

In terms of the business of tv, this is the one to watch. There will be fallout including for the p12.

The NFL has denied there is a renewal in place, Directv is saying they are "close". Translation, not set to announce the deal yet, probably will happen Super Bowl week at the media blitz. Those that think Scott has not lost are dreaming, and any "sports bar" that doesn't have Sunday Ticket is so in name only. The NFL rules the sports world, just because it does not rule your small little portion matters little. In the grand scheme of televised sports, the PAC XII network is small potatoes, it only matters to fans that can't get it. If Scott wants to grow this thing he should cut the cost to the others and get DTV on his side, or find a way to get it to the fans that want it via whatever format suits him. Cutting the cost in the end still translates into much more net revenue in subscriber numbers alone. If this continues its about ego, not principal.

i was very lucky and fortunate to be watching all of the buffs game this year -- [strike]streamed for FREE[/strike] stolen. that's right [strike]FREE[/strike] STOLEN!!!! the game against csu was from a [strike]streaming[/strike] illegal pirating site (not to be named -- PM me if you want it), and the rest was from, actually, the pac12 (again, PM me if you want the info as well). yeah, i was a happy camper to be watching all of the buff's FB game. heck, i even downloaded all of the football game this season LOL (PM me if you want this info, too).

Fixed for accuracy.

At the risk of repeating myself, DTV will not, ever, yield to what Scott wants. DTV does not want the P12 at the same price/terms as everyone else. The deal will not happen anytime soon. If you want P12, you have to go elsewhere. DTV is the spinoff/successor to Hughes satellite, bought by GM. They have loads of money and do not care about P12. As others have said, they have NFL Sunday Ticket, and that is 95% of the battle. I could be more detailed based on some conversations I have had with a muckity muck at DTV, but really does not serve any purpose. Bottom line: if you want P12 get a different provider. Waiting on DTV is a fool's errand...it isn't going to happen.

Can't see how DTV wins. Their subscribers lose if they want the PAC. I know several folks just waiting for their contracts to expire to make the switch. This fall was enough for them. I know we've only chosen bars that carry the PAC when we go out for a game. We don't consider DTV only establishments. DTV has 20% of the market, the other 80% provides plenty alternatives. Choices will be made eventually.

I probably watch the PAC 12 network as much as any other now. It's in my top 2 choices when I do sit down to watch tv.

What about when you stand?

I try not to stand too often, I tend to block the other family members view.

I don't think the conference should give in and offer a lower deal. Football and basketball drive college ratings, the Olympic and ladies sports are gravy for viewers. With the PAC 12 getting stronger on the national scale with both sports the demand will increase.

I am not talking about the random house changing subscriptions, that is strictly personal preference. I am talking about growing the product, and product value. Comparing the PAC XII network to the NFL is the equivalent of taking on a fully armed tank with a BB gun. For the Conference to gain national respect their product needs more exposure, and limiting it is folly. Right now because of where I live its a choice between watching the Broncos or Buffs, considering the products its an easy choice.

DTV values the Pac network at pennies on the dollar compared to the Big 10 Network.

That shouldn't be good enough for any Pac fan.

Cutting a deal with DTV on DTV's terms will severely limit long-term revenue.

I expect movement between DTV and the PAC12 someday, but I believe it will occur only after the NFL Ticket deal next year. No reason to believe that, but I left DTV after they couldn't sign up with the Pac12 after having given them a year to do so earlier this Fall.

I still couldn't be happier with the decision to leave DTV after 14 years...

There have been several reports on this topic since Thanksgiving. Reports that have Scott backing off his "hell or high water stance" because he needs viewers and revenue. As the old saying goes, having part of something is better then 100% of nothing. I have attached a link to an interesting view, one I have now heard several times.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/predictionten123013.htm

down here in naples fl.. comcast provides the big ten network in hdtv nestled right near espn on the channel lineup... pac 12 network?? in the 700's in std def only!!... scott better get his ass in gear!

From the article linked above:

DIRECTV's customers (in Pac 12 Network markets) who subscribe to a high-cost programming package would get the Pac 12 Network for free. But if they subscribe to a lower-cost plan, they would have to pay for the Pac 12, somewhere between $5-8 a month, which is more like paying for a a la carte premium channel.

This would allow both sides to claim victory. The Pac 12 Network would get more viewers and DIRECTV's overall carriage fees would be reduced.

And as for the other TV providers who now don't have an a la carte option, different deals are done for different providers all the time. Carriage strategies are always a work in progress. The Pac 12 Network could adjust their plans later when their deals with Comcast, etc. expire.

Or, they may not change them. They may be in a position later to demand better rates and terms, even from DIRECTV. The idea is to get into as many homes as possible soon after launch -- and collect the most fees possible -- and then work from there.

The bolded part is key, they need to get all the exposure they can especially since they're working at the disadvantage that comes with the Pacific time zone.

What is most interesting is the comments about the existing deals and saying they don't matter. The continual chatter has been you can't go back on your word to them. When the fact is and has been those deals don't matter. As I have continually said, buy 10 of said item the price is one number, buy 1000 of said item and it's a different number.

From the article linked above:

The bolded part is key, they need to get all the exposure they can especially since they're working at the disadvantage that comes with the Pacific time zone.

Also don't forget the new regional sports fee of about $3.

down here in naples fl.. comcast provides the big ten network in hdtv nestled right near espn on the channel lineup... pac 12 network?? in the 700's in std def only!!... scott better get his ass in gear!

Pac 12 network is in HD on DISH.

Isn't that your local provider's choice in what it offers? Comcast in CO has the full PAC12 complement in HD.

Back