What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ditch "Air Raid" scheme

GoDonkeys

The surprise has worn off. Many games with tape now and offense stinks. Has for last 5 games IMO. Any version of "Air Raid" has never won anything in CFB. Recruit RB's that are 220 lbs and get a more balanced offense please. Most frustrating thing is that stupid QB run. How in the hell do you keep calling that on every 3rd and short? Especially with a QB that keeps getting dinged up. I'm starting to wonder about Chiv.

Let me be clear though. Huge progress this year and with facilities and a good HC, future is bright. Many key decisions ahead to keep it going. Hope the recruiting on OL and DL is progressing. Watching these bowl games really highlight importance of the trenches. Even in spread systems. I know we can't ditch the spread concept entirely but nice RB with size and speed would help tremendously IMO. Just more balanced is all. Maybe work in a TE too :)

They don't run an Air Raid scheme. They run a Spread system that utilizes some Air Raid concepts, but is far more based in the read option and RPO (run/pass option) game.

Take a step back and realize that, even with two stinkers from the offense to end the season, this offense still averaged 31 points/game in 2016. It's no coincidence that our worst offensive outputs of the season came against the likes of USC, Washington and Oklahoma State. While I didn't like much of the playcalling last night either, I think fans need to take a step back and realize that we simply aren't ready to compete with legit top 10 teams, and that's OK! This team won 4 games a year ago and just made one of the biggest jumps in NCAA history YOY.

We run enough of Air Raid, Read Option etc. All Im saying is teams caught up. Take away defensive TDs and what did we Avg last 6 games? More importantly what did we average in big games? Jack Squat. And maybe Tampa 2 would have been better than that crap last night.

The surprise has worn off. Many games with tape now and offense stinks. Has for last 5 games IMO. Any version of "Air Raid" has never won anything in CFB. Recruit RB's that are 220 lbs and get a more balanced offense please. Most frustrating thing is that stupid QB run. How in the hell do you keep calling that on every 3rd and short? Especially with a QB that keeps getting dinged up. I'm starting to wonder about Chiv.
Chiv doesn't call the plays

We run enough of Air Raid, Read Option etc. All Im saying is teams caught up. Take away defensive TDs and what did we Avg last 6 games? More importantly what did we average in big games? Jack Squat. And maybe Tampa 2 would have been better than that crap last night.
I think the point we're all trying to make is that you don't have the first clue as to what you're talking about.

I prefer the Run & Shoot over the Air Raid. However, the Bear Raid is better than both, but not as good as the Wildcat.

:ROFLMAO: I guess you got to expect these kind of takes the day after. CU needs to run the Air Raid before they can ditch it.

We should go back to the pound it and launch it
They need to ban you for good really. Do me a favor though, go talk your bull**** to a player, see how far ya get.

We found success WHEN we ran more Air Raid concepts. When Lindgren used our offense to try and prove that his way was the only way, we got stale, Sefo's/Montez' accuracy decreased, & we had a serious decline in explosive plays. This isn't gold colored glasses. IMO, our playcaller became insecure that Chev's influence was on the rise and our offense suffered.

Which games are you talking about? The best games have involved a lot of read option.

Reactions: SBG
Michigan? The game that basically sent the starting QB's season off-course?

Our best offensive games were when the Air Raid was muted to a large extent.

So, at what point do you recruit to your style of play vs. adjusting your style based on your recruiting? It seems, to me, that staffs get too caught up in a certain philosophy rather than adjusting based on talent. That could mean, to me, evolving from a pass attack to a run attack if you find yourself with a bruising line and great running back.

I always liked the concept of a running right at the other team until they stop you. Then do it on the other side some more.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the successes from the Michigan game. Only one team scored more against Michigan than Colorado all season. The injuries our QB sustained weren't because of the Air Raid concepts in the offense by my estimation. Continually running him even after sustaining injuries via ZR plays seems to be the culprit.

Michigan? The game that basically sent the starting QB's season off-course?

Our best offensive games were when the Air Raid was muted to a large extent.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the successes from the Michigan game. Only one team scored more against Michigan than Colorado all season. The injuries our QB sustained weren't because of the Air Raid concepts in the offense by my estimation. Continually running him even after sustaining injuries via ZR plays seems to be the culprit.

When you look at Air Raid teams, do you see an offense run by very good to great teams? Because you can always pick out nice individual games, but it rarely works over the course of a season.

Back