What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

do we start gerhke?

a week of prep will do montez well. montez went in after michigan had figured out how to beat us. i think montez will be decent at a minimum. the real question is what will the spread be with sefo out?

100% Montez gets the start but this one is going to be on the O line and running game. The receivers are also going to have to make some catches (looking at you #5) but this week the balls probably won't be perfect if you can touch it, got to catch it. Oregon sucks on D, pound it on them and give Montez time and keep their offense off the field.

On the sidelines, Montez was as overwhelmed looking as any kid I've seen. But we also dropped a couple of his 1st passes, and you never know what would have happened if he'd gotten a couple of completions and some confidence early.

Now, you have the 'no confidence' comment and he;s going to be more uptight. Under the circs, that was a really harmful statement. How easy to say, 'we didn't have as much confidence in him....' The play-calling may have told him the coaches lacked confidence too.

One of those times when closed practices make it hard to tell, but I think I'd go with Montez. Gerke isn't likely to improve.

1st game jitters he can overcome - the idea his teammates don't trust him is tougher to deal with

Cody is pretty much spot on, Montez's first 2 throws were good balls and fairly deep, one was defended well and the other had a chance to be caught. Mich did what any team would do in adjustment with a new young QB in the game and started blitzing and the O line didn't pick it up (watching Montez reminded me of watching Sefo his first season) running around to safe his life.

Montez needs the week to play with the ones and get tons of reps. That's all. Michigans D was coming full speed with a lead and knowing they had the run game contained. And then the CU receivers dropped balls, including the one to George that might have been a TD, right? (was driving to in laws and didn't get to see it yet). So hard to blame him when WR's drop balls and then BL goes into his shell.

I hope BL is gone after this year. Bernardi too. Not sure the two headed monster at OC will work long term.

No on Gerhke. No. I'd rather not pull Noyers redshirt; can't imagine he is more ready that Montez. I don't hold late in an intense game with the #4 team having a lead and CU reeling from dumbass special teams play to be an accurate indicator of Montez's talents. We will see after this week. Even if a loss, the game experience would mean great chances of wins against UA, ASU, UU, OSU, and WSU. And chances against USC and UCLA. I still feel good with Montez with his running and throwing ability. Needs time with the ones and some more game experience. I think he will be a good one.

Of course; would rather see Sefo be healthy. Maybe resting Sefo if he is iffy against UO isn't a bad thing. Might give the game away, but get him healthy against teams with a better chance of winning. If he is healthy I think we will beat Oregon.

As long as we never ever have to punt. Ever. Or kick field goals. Or extra points. Always good for it on fourth, and always go for two. Buffs win!

Last edited:
Had George Frazier caught the TD throw that Montez put on him I think we would be thinking a lot differently about him right now. Shay also dropped a 1st down that he should have caught. Montez is a good athlete with a strong arm. I think in time he can be a really good QB. Problem is we need to win now so hopefully Sefo is healthy but if not Montez has to be the starter. No Gehrke.

Montez will get all week with the 1s and will be more mentally prepared to start. No matter what they or the coaches say, when a player doesn't think he has a good chance of playing, the mental prep can sometimes "go through the motions". With all eyes on him this week and him getting every 1st team rep, I think he'll look a lot more ready than he did yesterday.

handful of teams do the QB by committee thing and works for them or put their second stringer in there and barely skip a beat or it even provide spark. Amazing that we just dont have that depth with like 5 QBs on the roster

Had George Frazier caught the TD throw that Montez put on him I think we would be thinking a lot differently about him right now. Shay also dropped a 1st down that he should have caught. Montez is a good athlete with a strong arm. I think in time he can be a really good QB. Problem is we need to win now so hopefully Sefo is healthy but if not Montez has to be the starter. No Gehrke.

Yes. And Shay had a clear path to the endzone. Damn we should have won that game.

IMO people are being too hard on Montez. Dude was thrown to the wolves. The play calling was aggressive at first and Montez delivered and his receivers dropped. Then the play calling went turtle and UM brought the house. That really doesn't tell you much about where he is at.

"Backup QB is always the fans' favorite player," is a bit ridiculous right now.

I haven't seen the replay, but I thought 2 of his 1st 3 passes were drops. Not easy catches, but doable. After that start, he didn't get many good plays to run

Montez. He should start until Sefo is back. Lets answer the question of if he truly is the guy after Sefo.

I suppose we could burn a redshirt....

I like Awini when healthy. I've always thought he was underrated. I saw him play QB at AFA and the dude can sling it.
Gerhke has a great stat line this year: 1-1, 1 yard

To be honest, he did what he was asked to do. congrats!

I haven't seen the replay, but I thought 2 of his 1st 3 passes were drops. Not easy catches, but doable. After that start, he didn't get many good plays to run

Yes, one of his drops was IN THE END ZONE right on the hands of the receiver. Had that catch been made, perhaps his confidence doesn't go lower than oil stock in a bear market (thanks to the middle east refusing to cap production, but that's for another thread altogether) and things end up differently.

What year was it that J.J. Flanagan was on his way to the house against Nebraska and he just dropped the ball? Frazier's drop kind of reminded me of that.

sefo is going to start, dammit. i'm covering my eyes and eyes and holding my breath until it comes true.

Back