1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does CU's "No Coach Yet" Statement Point To EB ?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Dec 2, 2010.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

don't you think that if Embree was indeed the choice CU would have said that and then
    announced a presser for Monday or Tuesday to officially have Embree in town?

why say no candidate has been picked if Embree was the one...
    it will make CU AD look even dumber than they do now if Embree does get the job-

2. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

No, Embree has been offered but hasn't accepted the job yet. There's still a chance (not likely) that the Redskins or someone comes in with another offer. The AD doesn't want it known that they offered a job and were rejected. That's all there is to this. Nowhere in any of the news or scoop has it been said that there was anything more in place than the offer.

3. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

No. it points to Mike Bohn making a half-assed hire by taking his 2nd choice from his first coaching search. Wonder if Bohn will call him a home run hire too?

4. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Why do they look dumb now ? Because of internet rumors and speculation in the local rags?

What else are they supposed to say if the deal isn't final ?

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

No. CU won't announce anything has been offered until the contract is signed. Usual practice.

6. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

Exactly - it was Mac that came out & said the deal was done. If anything, be pissed that Mac jumped the gun... last I checked, he was a candidate for the position - not on the committee & not the AD. For me, it makes me seriously lose some respect for Mac that he is involved on making any sort of announcement on behalf of the school.

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Bohn clearly said in the ESPN article that no offer was extended yet. Is that just semantics too, or straight lying?

8. Darth Snow

Depends on the definition. I guarantee you no "final" offer has been extended yet, and they are just in negotiations...

Example: "This is not an official offer, but if it was, what would you think of it, and where would it need to be different?"

9. Del

Del Member

+1 --Probably the worst thing he could have done at this point. Should have just kept quiet and then get on his soap box post official announcement.

10. SanDiegoBuff

Little bit of both. AD's trying to save a lot of face after Mac leaked this out and what he said about the coaching search.

Every source, with the exception of those in the AD, are pointing at Embree. And the AD sources carry no weight since they just got nationally punked by Mac and are in damage control mode.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I have to believe that Embree was offered the job and CU as usual is late to react to public news leaking. I'm not surprised this is turning into a cluster ****

12. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

No it is not. Many coaches don't sign their contracts for months after they are hired.

13. Darth Snow

ok. finalized. happy? :lol:

14. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Well, this is getting out of hand. At least there is a buzz...that is a good thing.

I have some thoughts, no info, just speculation. A few assumptions:

1. Mac wanted the job, but would be happy if EB, Embo or BC got the gig;

2. Mac was finally brushed aside recently, but mollified that EB, Embo or BC were going to get the gig;

So what gives with the announcement Mac made?

1. Could be Mac just jumped the gun; that would be bad, and make Mac look foolish;

2. Could be Mac is trying to give Embo some negotiating leverage (i.e. more $$, more control etc.) not a bad thing for Mac to do for Embo, but somewhat bad for CU/MB;

3. Could be Mac heard EB either got passed over/ rejected and MB had McElwain pegged before Embo, and went public to box MB into Embo. If this is it, there is a king sized pissing contest going on between MB and Mac and it could screw things up pretty good.

4. Could be they are pitting Embo against EB by extending an offer to Embo after negotiations with EB went sour. I kind of doubt this one, but it would be bad too.

I really don't know what to think, I thought the DP article pretty much sealed it for Embo. But now, MB is denying. Who knows?

15. SanDiegoBuff

Got one more for ya.

Mac is ensuring, right or wrong, that Bohn doesn't waffle on this and goes with EB or Embree and forcing his hand to follow through and get this process over with.

16. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Your mind is running over time Lefty.

17. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

:lol: I am sure you are right, I am just pretty into it, I guess.

18. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

:thumbsup:

19. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Well, the quote I read by Bohn was "We have not hired a coach." Sounds like a word game to me. They've offered it to Embree.

20. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Having Mac leak the news to the press was planned to guage reactions or deflect criticism away from the school/AD. You can hang your hat on it.