What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Drop In Attendance

As far as security goes, it has to be there for liability. I don't think any of us actually believe that they will stop something from happening. Yes, the police that are there can diffuse situations, but the people that just wand us and pat us down aren't going to stop anything. It's easy to get something pass them, I have brought in flasks easily.

As for Folsom Field, I'm for improving the fan experience...it's what keeps the fans coming back or away. Plus there is a difference between out of town Pac-12 fans versus Big 12 fans and the Pac-12 fans simply don't travel as well. Plus Pac-12 fans do not come from states that are more agricultural like the Big 12 & fewer entertainment options.
No doubt. We can count on somewhere between 500 and 2,000 visiting fans for an average conference home game. We used to get a lot more from the Big 12 visitors. There is good with that. It was a kick in the ass. You can't depend on your opponent to sell out your stadium. But there's no doubt that Folsom would get an attendance boost if, for example, K State and Oklahoma were added to the Pac-12 and we had one of them on our home slate every year.

I think the Rockies do the best job around in terms of stadium fan experience. Part of it is the individual seating, audio/video system, ton of drinking and eating venues, a ton of bathrooms, the view, and of course the Rooftop. At Folsom...
- Better/more concession areas so lines aren't 30 minutes long and allow beer at the seats
I think being able to bring beer back to your seats is a win situation for everyone.

CU football games are an entertainment bargain.

I wonder if declines in attendance have any relationship to schools banning beer sales?

CU football games are an entertainment bargain.

I wonder if declines in attendance have any relationship to schools banning beer sales?
I think it has a lot more to do with 4D television, the cost of going to live events in general, the hassle of leaving home and the amount of competition there is these days for our entertainment dollars.

Stadiums need to sell beer, ramp up the tailgating, have a killer sound system and video boards, offer great food, etc., etc. It's the modern day equivalent of back in old times when the Catholics put on a show for the pagans with stained glass and loud organ music. :)

I think it has a lot more to do with 4D television, the cost of going to live events in general, the hassle of leaving home and the amount of competition there is these days for our entertainment dollars.

Stadiums need to sell beer, ramp up the tailgating, have a killer sound system and video boards, offer great food, etc., etc. It's the modern day equivalent of back in old times when the Catholics put on a show for the pagans with stained glass and loud organ music. :)
Screw the video boards, that’s like planes getting TVs put in head rests. All they have to do it ramp up WiFi and have a stream of the highlights so people can check if they want to between plays and schools don’t have to spend outrageous amounts of money on new video boards.

Screw the video boards, that’s like planes getting TVs put in head rests. All they have to do it ramp up WiFi and have a stream of the highlights so people can check if they want to between plays and schools don’t have to spend outrageous amounts of money on new video boards.
They matter. WiFi matters too. You're like I am and need to step outside yourself on this stuff, because we'd be there if it was BYOB with a junior high style PA system and the scoreboard showed nothing except the time, timeouts left and the score. They've got to be exceptionally bad at putting on a college football game to fail at attracting many of us on AB into the stadium.

They matter. WiFi matters too. You're like I am and need to step outside yourself on this stuff, because we'd be there if it was BYOB with a junior high style PA system and the scoreboard showed nothing except the time, timeouts left and the score. They've got to be exceptionally bad at putting on a college football game to fail at attracting many of us on AB into the stadium.
Haha I was honestly trying to think about the next step with all this crap. Younger generations just want everything on their phone, I noticed how much easier it was when I first took jet blue a couple years after taking the new Dreamliner that had all the new fancy TVs and stuff on it. Instead of investing money in huge screens the ad could keep those small and boost the WiFi so anyone could watch highlights from their phone. Then in the premium seating areas you could provide hookups to phones and iPads where people could plug them in, they could charge and play whatever highlights they wanted to watch, even if it was another gAme. Obviously this doesn’t get rid of scoreboards and TVs around the concourses, it’s just limits the need for them.
Now a sound system should be the number one priority right now in terms of the fan experience.

Lot of bitching in this thread from people that live nearby. Shut your pie hole and get to the damn game. Signed the guy who has had season tickets for the last 19 seasons while living 520 miles away and still manages ~4 games a year with the wife and 2 kids.

Holy **** has it been a long time since I've been to a movie theater. They do that?

It hasn't actually been that long - I saw the Hateful Eight in the theater, but it was the 70mm version in the American Film Institute's large theater - and, as the name would imply, it's an old-school large theater. They've put in larger chairs (with cupholders) and serve beer & wine, but that's about the only thing different from a theater 30 years ago. Hell, they even still have a big red curtain that they open to reveal the screen.
I saw The Last Jedi in an AMC Dolby Cinema. Top notch Dolby Vision HDR projection and Dolby Atmos sound with very nice powered recliners and reserved seating. There are four in the Denver area. Only one screen at each location is a Dolby Cinema and you pay a premium that is well worth it.

AMC Arapahoe Crossing 16
AMC Flatiron Crossing 14
AMC Highlands Ranch 24
AMC Westminster Promenade 24

I have a very nice home theater. Only the finest cinema experience and a movie I really want to see will get me to shell out money at a theater instead of waiting for blu-ray or streaming. I feel similar about sports these days. Only a winning team, good weather and big name opponents can get me out when Dolby Atmos sound and a giant screen at home is such a great experience.

FYI, other chains also have premium theaters. Regal calls theirs RPX (Regal Premium Experience). They have six in Colorado. Not sure if any have recliners.

Regal Continental Stadium 10 & RPX Denver, CO
Regal Interquest Stadium 14 & RPX Colorado Springs, CO
Regal River Point Stadium 14 & RPX Sheridan, CO
Regal Village at the Peaks 12 & RPX Longmont, CO
UA Colorado Mills Stadium 16 & IMAX Lakewood, CO
UA Denver Pavilions Stadium 15 Denver, CO

Harkins has Cine Capri theaters which have premium projection and Dolby Atmos sound but no recliners since they were built before the recliner trend. There is one of those at the Denver Harkins Northfield. It has an absolutely massive screen. I saw The Force Awakens there. Harkins latest is called Cine 1 which adds recliners. Hopefully they'll convert the Denver screen eventually.

Last edited:
Holy **** has it been a long time since I've been to a movie theater. They do that?

It hasn't actually been that long - I saw the Hateful Eight in the theater, but it was the 70mm version in the American Film Institute's large theater - and, as the name would imply, it's an old-school large theater. They've put in larger chairs (with cupholders) and serve beer & wine, but that's about the only thing different from a theater 30 years ago. Hell, they even still have a big red curtain that they open to reveal the screen.

Not to go off topic but the Dolby theaters are absolutely amazing. They’re worth the $12-13 for an early AM Saturday show.

In regards to the tailgating scene at Folsom. It's awful. If anyone traveled to Michigan or has been UCLA for the Rose Bowl, there is nothing better than that.

Uhhh, the SEC, namely LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia would like a quick word, sir.

Different strokes. I'm there for the story and feel overloaded by sensory inputs at those types of theaters. Like I'm on the edge of having a seizure.

My favorite venues have been the Landmark Theaters, which create more of an old school movie house environment. Of course, they don't show big special effect action movies so if that's your thing I can see why someone would prefer the kind of setup you guys are talking about. In terms of feeling blown away by a movie experience on the technology and sensory side, IMAX filming does that for me.

On that note, I guess the audio just doesn't mean much for me once it gets to a certain point. At Folsom, it needs to be upgraded so I can understand what's being said over the PA and so that it's viable for concerts. But I don't want it to be like Stanford. There, they have small speakers hanging in every section and I thought that the external audio dominated much of the game experience. I'm there to watch football and cheer along with other fans. I don't like piped in music, amplified crowd noise and all that other stuff.

Different strokes. I'm there for the story and feel overloaded by sensory inputs at those types of theaters. Like I'm on the edge of having a seizure.

On that note, I guess the audio just doesn't mean much for me once it gets to a certain point. At Folsom, it needs to be upgraded so I can understand what's being said over the PA and so that it's viable for concerts. But I don't want it to be like Stanford. There, they have small speakers hanging in every section and I thought that the external audio dominated much of the game experience. I'm there to watch football and cheer along with other fans. I don't like piped in music, amplified crowd noise and all that other stuff.

I do think the PA system needs to be upgraded, but I am on the same boat as you, I don't want it to dominate the game experience. I think speakers on each side of stadium, new speakers on Dal Ward would be sufficient to fix that issue.

As nik said earlier, I think raising the playing surface would possible be a good idea? How much would we have to raise it to allow for other sports to be played in the stadium? Doubt they would raise it to the point that would make the new seats in North endzone to be removed. Also with raising the playing surface, how much do we lose on the sidelines? I think a possibility of creating more seats if that were done would be to extend the second deck in the South endzone so that it would be flush with the East side second deck.

As nik said earlier, I think raising the playing surface would possible be a good idea? How much would we have to raise it to allow for other sports to be played in the stadium? Doubt they would raise it to the point that would make the new seats in North endzone to be removed. Also with raising the playing surface, how much do we lose on the sidelines? I think a possibility of creating more seats if that were done would be to extend the second deck in the South endzone so that it would be flush with the East side second deck.
Folsom used to have a full track around the football field. The field was actually lowered to be where it is today. So there's a lot of scope to raise it back.

I agree with a lot of what CitizenKane said. Biggest thing for me is the kickoff times are all over the place. Personally I hate the late kickoffs. I love the days when kickoff was at 1:30 for almost every game at Folsom. In 2013 with a 7:30 kickoff in late November was miserable - the stadium was pretty empty in the second half. I got one of the worst colds of my life from that game.

Last edited:
I saw The Last Jedi in an AMC Dolby Cinema. Top notch Dolby Vision HDR projection and Dolby Atmos sound with very nice powered recliners and reserved seating. There are four in the Denver area. Only one screen at each location is a Dolby Cinema and you pay a premium that is well worth it.

AMC Arapahoe Crossing 16
AMC Flatiron Crossing 14
AMC Highlands Ranch 24
AMC Westminster Promenade 24

I have a very nice home theater. Only the finest cinema experience and a movie I really want to see will get me to shell out money at a theater instead of waiting for blu-ray or streaming. I feel similar about sports these days. Only a winning team, good weather and big name opponents can get me out when Dolby Atmos sound and a giant screen at home is such a great experience.

FYI, other chains also have premium theaters. Regal calls theirs RPX (Regal Premium Experience). They have six in Colorado. Not sure if any have recliners.

Regal Continental Stadium 10 & RPX Denver, CO
Regal Interquest Stadium 14 & RPX Colorado Springs, CO
Regal River Point Stadium 14 & RPX Sheridan, CO
Regal Village at the Peaks 12 & RPX Longmont, CO
UA Colorado Mills Stadium 16 & IMAX Lakewood, CO
UA Denver Pavilions Stadium 15 Denver, CO

Harkins has Cine Capri theaters which have premium projection and Dolby Atmos sound but no recliners since they were built before the recliner trend. There is one of those at the Denver Harkins Northfield. It has an absolutely massive screen. I saw The Force Awakens there. Harkins latest is called Cine 1 which adds recliners. Hopefully they'll convert the Denver screen eventually.

Meh. It makes the building rattle. The ceiling tiles shake. Their are vibration sounds as it bounces off the projector rooms glass. And then you cant understand the dialog but have to plug your ears when an explosion happens.

Meh. It makes the building rattle. The ceiling tiles shake. Their are vibration sounds as it bounces off the projector rooms glass. And then you cant understand the dialog but have to plug your ears when an explosion happens.
You must have really ****ty theaters near you. That wasn’t my experience. At all.

I thought it was annoying loud at first, but recognized the quality. I adjusted after the first 5 minutes. Was it better? Sure? Was it worth the extra money and it being too loud? Debatable.

Was it what you are describing? Absolutely not.

Surely you jest. Have you actually been to a Dolby Cinema? Everything from the most delicate whisper to the most thunderous explosion is rendered with stunning realism and accuracy. Dolby Atmos is object oriented rather than channel based and it adds an array of ceiling speakers that allows audio engineers to place sounds anywhere in 3D space. Dialogue intelligibility is perfect. There is no rattling of ceiling tiles or anything else. The visual and audio presentation is as fine as it gets in a large venue with digital projection. Only true 70 mm IMAX beats it visually.

With the exception of club seats, Folsom hasn't been meaningfully "expanded" in 50 years. It's worth noting that, even during the 90s, there was never a season in which every game was sold out. It's a good size as it is. I'd like to see them do something with the west side, like a new press box or closing off the end like they did on the east side in 2014. But neither of those things should change the capacity much. I don't really want them to go below 50,000 as a matter of pride, but there's been one true sellout in the last 10 seasons. Even if the team went on another run like they did in the 90s I think expansion would be foolish considering the general trends in the sport.

Back