1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dustin Thomas

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

There's so much I like about his game.

But for 2 years he hasn't been able to get into a rhythm or find any consistency.

The main culprit, I think, is that he can't stay on the court due to all the foul calls that go against him.

More than him just being a guy who commits a lot of fouls, there seems to be this weird thing where every 50/50 call goes against the guy and has for 2 season. Must be something about him that makes him look guilty for whatever reason. The thing is, when I'm watching him it looks like he's moving his feet, maintaining position, and not swatting or grabbing... and it doesn't matter. Still a foul on DT whenever the man he's guarding makes an aggressive move toward the basket.

Do you guys have the same impression?

(Also, rep to whomever can find data on foul rate on Dustin as it compares to the NCAA norm and a low foul rate guy like Josh.)

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Scott is #124 in fouls committed per 40 minutes at 1.9, Dustin is at 5.8 which is tied with Miller for highest on the team.

Buffnik likes this.
  3. Buffnik

As high as that is, it actually seems higher than that to me when I watch. Maybe because when he's not getting whistled I'm not noticing him on the court. I really think it gets into his head and saps his aggressiveness at times.

4. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Unless someone Pulls it up beforehand, I'll try and grab the average rate at work tomorrow. Laptop is downstairs and I don't feel like walking down stairs [emoji38]

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I think he needs to start hammering guys. Make the refs know what a foul looks like so they don't call a little contact.

6. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Resting bitch face.

Seriously.

We joke about it, but the kid has a natural pissed off look. Refs don't like it (especially the sensitive ass refs we have in the P12). His fouls called per 40 minutes has improved this season (5.8 this year vs 6.3 last year), but not by as much as I had hoped it would. He still has a tendency to go on 2-3 game binges where he gets 4-5 fouls.

7. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I think that's it!

8. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

There may be a point here. Knock two guys on their ass in the 1st 15 minutes of the game. Then play regular defense for the remainder and see if the ticky-tack fouls stop getting called.

9. jsmilkst

jsmilkst Club Member Club Member

I'm a big DT fan. He's near the top in the always playing hard category (which causes some of those fouls ), never gives up on a play, and doesn't back down from a bigger guy. Sure, he gets beat sometimes, and his jumper isn't often there. .. But he's easy to cheer for, imo

10. tante

I say this because Arizona did this last night and it looked very effective. It sets a tone and make guys hesitant to go in the paint.

11. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

I'm not down on DT as some seem to be. He should never play the 4. Just wish his shot would go down. At least he seems like he is putting in the effort.

12. Buffaloup

Buffaloup New Member

Don't know why he plays inside. He can play the 4 but would be much more suited as a stretch 4 than one that plays inside

13. tante

he has some great moves around the basket but just has trouble finishing. At some point if he gets a consistent 3 AND finishes better at the rim, he is going to be a dangerous player.

14. Goose

Couldn't help but think of this post last night. DT had that great dunk in the first half, and as soon as it went through he shot the refs a look that could have killed (and it was glorious). Not 10 minutes later he got a BS call, and I'm convinced it was related.

15. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

definitely related. Saw it too and thought that he was going to get some payback for it. Sure enough...

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

only got 11 minutes last night. Not enough when Talton is getting 22.

17. Shldr2Shldr

12pts, 5-5 shooting, 11min. Would like to have seen what he could have done with 22min.

18. Goose

Frontcourt is so crowded. I agree that DT should have gotten more minutes, but he's gotta tighten up his handle a touch this offseason so we can start getting him serious minutes at the 3.

19. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I would rather have him at the 3 and Fletch at the 2 than Talton in the game.

20. Buffnik

I also like that we can play J-Hop at the 3 against certain teams. He rebounds well enough to do it and pretty much no one posts their 3 any more.

21. Shldr2Shldr

Liked the look with Dom, Ski, and J-hop on the floor together. Lot of speed out there.

22. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I interpreted the look he gave the refs differently. I thought he was expecting an offensive foul (even though no defenders were around), and was confirming he didn't get one.

23. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

Really like his game, but he does seem to catch a lot of whistles - I cant understand why sometimes, but he surely gets a little timid if he picks up a stupid foul early.

24. tante

He needs to get stronger but damn he is fast for his size.

25. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

he had a beaut of a floater last night

26. Medford M.

Medford M. Well-Known Member

Saw it the same way Goose.