What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Email Todd Saliman About Transfer Rules

Out of State Base Tuition Rate (excluding room and board on campus) is around $41,500/year * 85 scholarship players = ~$3.5m/year the AD pays to the school
In-State Base Tuition Rate is around $13,300/year * 85 scholarship players = ~$1.1m/year

Giving the AD $2.4m/year back to invest in the program instead of paying for artificially high tuition costs would be a big deal in putting together a quality staff, providing the academic resources, tutors, counselors, building a recruiting infrastructure, etc.

So, I agree the transfer stuff is the last real self imposed hurdle that can be removed and put them on par with other programs, the tuition issue would also really help. However, money in general is always going to be a hurdle that will keep CU below many peer institutions, unless Saliman and the Regents decide they are going all in with building the program back up and allow the University to help fund it with the idea that they will get paid back ten fold if the program succeeds.
That doesn’t even include all the other sports’ athletic scholarships.

The cost savings would be much higher.

If you can believe CU Admin is even more stupid than we believe, my best friend from college's little brother went to CU for his first two years. He was having a hard time with things there and decided to transfer closer to home to UCCS. He's ready to go back to CU now but he will have to go back with fewer credits than he earned at UCCS because CU won't accept a lot of business school credits from UCCS into CU even though the schools are apart of the same campus system lol. So no, that loophole wouldn't work.
That almost happened to me when I inquired to do calculus at UCD in the summer. And actually UCD wouldn’t accept the Calc pre requisite credits earned at Boulder the prior semester.

Last edited:
Didn't the basketball team just have a HS kid they couldn't get in?
Yes. A high school kid who started his high school career in Sweden. One of his courses in his Swedish High School wasnt up to our high standards so we had to pull the scholarship offer, and he enrolled at wake forest.

Current transfer rules are just a way for the university to milk money from students. Like a lot of things at CU the student athletes just shine a spotlight on it. Removing ambiguity and department input in what can be transferred would go a long way to solving issues for both students and student athletes. Talk is cheap but hopefully Saliman follows through on reforming transfer requirements.

Friends, I just had a very disturbing conversation with Rick George. I am tailgating in lot 308 and he was speaking to some group. After he concluded and was leaving and I walked up to him and asked if I could speak to him and he agreed. I said the most important thing was to get the transfer of credits thing solved. He was. Very defensive and strongly denied that there is any issue whatsoever, not even a small issue. I brought up a couple of examples brought here and he brushed them off. I asked him what he would ash if the next coach said he would only take the job if he solved the transfer credit issue, and he said that would get a great head coach and walked away.
Either we all here have it wrong, or he is delusional, or he is toeing the party line, or he hasn’t got a clue. Anyway, we’re humped.

Friends, I just had a very disturbing conversation with Rick George. I am tailgating in lot 308 and he was speaking to some group. After he concluded and was leaving and I walked up to him and asked if I could speak to him and he agreed. I said the most important thing was to get the transfer of credits thing solved. He was. Very defensive and strongly denied that there is any issue whatsoever, not even a small issue. I brought up a couple of examples brought here and he brushed them off. I asked him what he would ash if the next coach said he would only take the job if he solved the transfer credit issue, and he said that would get a great head coach and walked away.
Either we all here have it wrong, or he is delusional, or he is toeing the party line, or he hasn’t got a clue. Anyway, we’re humped.
So he’s openly defying his boss? That’s a bold strategy…

Did you tell him you weren’t talking about Juco’s?

I suggest a letter writing campaign targeting RG, copying TS, Skipping PD.

Dear Rick

I’ll be brief. You are busy.

I am concerned about transfer impediments and your ability hire a quality HC with current PTD requirements and no collective.

Many of us have communicated with President Saliman directly on the transfer issue. And we now know his thoughts.

I’d greatly appreciated a response on the topics of onerous transfer requirements and no collective.

Thank you. Go Buffs.

Can we just work up a nice letter that we can all send to the Prez? I know that Form Letters are not ideal, but it would make some sense for all of us less savvy members.
It’s in this thread. Maybe 10
Above. Chase used it. Got a specific response, not a form letter.

It’s in this thread. Maybe 10
Above. Chase used it. Got a specific response, not a form letter.
Sorry. Wrong board. This. Or something like it. It worked for Chase.

|||||||||||

Dear Mr. Saliman:

Congratulations on your appointment. I look forward to your success.

You are busy. I’ll be brief.

I write about two issues critical to CU football success:

1. Transfer Impediments - You know the issues. We must become competitive with peer institutions on this matter.

2. Leadership - I strongly question if the current leadership is equipped and willing to handle the transfer issue and other modern competitive football challenges.

I have seen several of your responses to other letters. I would appreciate you addressing these two issues.

Congratulations again. Thank you for listening.

Sincerely

That summb!tch needs to go.

That didn’t come up, but he was adamant that essentially any transfer that wanted to come to CU last year had no problem.
Confirmation bias and willful ignorance (or incompetence)

1. Coaching staff only recruits players that they know they can get through CU’s arcane transfer rules.

2. AD sees that none of the transfers we brought in last year had any issues.

3. Rinse and repeat.

Option 1: RG is lying for whatever reason.

Option 2: RG is unaware of a huge issue impacting his department.

Option 3: There is no problem and our Buffs only looked at freshman and grad transfers by design.

I’ve been wondering about #3. RG seems mighty defensive about the transfer stuff. I don’t think this is likely, but after Tucker, what if he did get the admin open to taking flyers on players here and there and KD and his band of lazy recruiters just didn’t want to deal with it. We know they quit when a bigger school started going after a recruit, why wouldn’t they quit when thing got tougher at CU as well. They can stick with freshmen and grad transfers or they can spend a few hours putting together a PTD package for the enrollment people. I could see them punting on having to do more work.

edit: or more likely with this crew, they put the onus of transferring and enrollment on the athlete and the athletes just said **** it.

This issue needs to be looked at far beyond just the impact on athletics.

I understand that as multiple posters here have detailed the transfer issue is at least in part a revenue issue, forcing transfer students to retake classes generates more tuition revenue, and often these classes they take are core academic classes that have large enrollments and are effectively taught by TAs or non-tenured staff generating revenues without adding to the workload of the tenured faculty. They try to justify it with a level of academic elitism.

It is also a model that is rooted in a time that is now in the past.

It used to be that the majority of students at higher end academic institutions entered as freshman and continued to their degree unless for some reason they made the choice to leave or were pushed out due to not making the grade (bell curve.)

This is no longer applicable for two reasons.

One is honestly CU is no longer an elite public institution. They may disagree but under Phil the academic reputation of the school has significantly declined. CU is not on par with Cal, UCLA, Michigan or even Washington. It's not Nebraska or Oklahoma State yet but it is only elite in it's own view, not from others. Accepting transfer credits from other schools is not degrading the value of a CU education or academic integrity.

Secondly we have become a mobile society. People seek different paths and transition between them. In the workplace the idea of working for the same employer for an entire career is now rare rather than the norm it was a couple generations in the past. Educationally top students cannot be expected to lock themselves into a single academic path at a single academic institution. Students unlike any time in the past move to meet changing goals and plans.

CU still has some outstanding programs, programs that should be attracting top students from other institutions be those community colleges or top tier institutions.

What happens to that student who entered State U somewhere to study Mathematics or General Engineering or Chemistry who in his/her sophomore year decides that they would really like to take their 3.7 GPA and study Aeronautical Engineering. They look at CU with it's great reputation and NASA connections but upon finding that they will have to retake 24 semester hours of classes instead go to a "lesser" school like Cornell who will take most of their credits.

In this situation has CU "protected" the academic reputation and integrity of the school? Absolutely not. This isn't talking about accepting a bunch of PE credits or Ag credits but recognizing it is in the best interest of the school and it's student body to be more realistic about looking at the current state of higher education and student mobility.

Got my response yesterday as well. I actually really like his comments outside of the defending of the little bald man. Although, it is only a slight defense of him. very positive response.

Dear Brad,

Thank you for your email and for your work with the Denver Forever Buffs. I appreciate your perspective. The issues you raise are the issues we are working hard to solve. I agree that we should be in the same position as some of the universities you cited. I expect us to generate ideas and actions on how we can improve, and we will. You and many others have shared your thoughts on the program, which I appreciate. I hear you. I would also note that Chancellor DiStefano has been in his position for a little over a decade, not the past two. I also believe that no one person is responsible for where we are and no one person will fix things. Just like with a successful football program, it will take a team. Thanks for being part of that team.

Sincerely, Todd

Back