1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embree's Staff

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Pale Ale, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

If you have not read Brook's new article, I definitely recommend checking it out.

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205055247

Sheds a bit of light on the reasoning behind so many alums being on staff IMO.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Well... both Embree and Bieniemy left their alma mater for different jobs. CU pride isn't everthing

3. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Although, I don't think it was he contract uncertainty that was the reason they left. EB had family issues and I think JE had a better opportunity with better pay. Thats the biggest problem with the contract thing. Guys can leave for any number of reasons anytime they want.

4. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

They both knew they were going to have to diversify their experience to come back in the role (HC) that they wanted to.

It didn't hurt that UCLA offered the services EB needed for his kid. And family should always be the #1 loyalty.

5. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

Another big reason they left was because of the recruiting restrictions under Barnett. It would have likely been career suicide/stagnation to stay.

6. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Brook's makes a valid point with some of the guys that are "allegedly" coming onboard as coaches from other stable situations. Obviously, they see something about Embree they like.

7. ruffemupbuff

ruffemupbuff New Member

They left because Embree wanted the job and didn't get it. Hawk was going to hire his own staff. I thought it was insightful that Embree said last week he would not have been ready for the job at that time and now he is.

8. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Did this strike anyone else as interesting?

dply likes this.
  9. ruffemupbuff

ruffemupbuff New Member

He's been through this before and saw the same thing all of us did as far as Hawk being gone. After interviews in the past, he likely put his list together proactively. After the hammer fell, my guess is his phone was blown up.

10. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Left because EB needed more help with his son and his family lives in LA. They weren't crazy about Barnett and both disliked Watson. Their buddy got the job at UCLA. They left and got higher paychecks. I don't fault them for that. BTW, Watson is one of the worst human beings I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with.

They left long before Embo didn't get the job when Hawk was hired.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  11. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Nothing like being totally wrong. EB called Barnett within two weeks after he left and wanted to come back but the position had been filled. EB and Barnett enjoy a close relationship to this day. EB talked in great depth about his relationship with Watson the other day and how he considered Watson one of his mentors in him being qualified for the OC job.

I will take the counter point of view. Watson is a good guy in my opinion. He is highly regarded in the coaching community. by his former players and people who have coached with him. Mike Moschetti talks highly of Watson and keeps in touch, ditto Bobby Pesevento, Joel Klatt and as I said EB talked about him as being one of his mentors. A lot of Buff fans Hate Watson and I have no idea why. The guy is loyal to a fault...is not a self promoter. Watson is one of the people who reached out to help BJax after he got out of jail. '[

12. azbuff

I had close ties to the program when EB and Embree left and in the year leading up to their departure. What I said has been more or less confirmed by other members here before. I heard what EB said about Watson and was surprised to hear it. But, if you listen to the entire soundbite, EB mentions every OC he has ever worked with. In other words, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Watson that he was mentioned. I guaran-****ing-tee you EB does not consider Watson a "mentor," regardless of what he says to the media.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Watson is not a self promoter? :lol: Talk about being totally wrong.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  13. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

Also, they left to help support their bro Dorrell. Turned out well for EB and Embo both. Cable was the OC @ UCLA another guy they learned from. Not bad, Cable has done an amazing job turning the Raiders around.

14. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

It was that redonkulous bubble screen and his predictable play calling. Bubble / Run / Buble / Punt. Nebraska fans are not exactly crowing about his skills either. They think Watson leaving would make a great Christmas present.

It's all in the past now anyways. I wish him no ill.

15. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 5 yard out or curl on 3rd and 7.

16. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

or the draw play on 3rd & 10.

17. azbuff

I don't love or hate Watson as an OC. He obviously had some great days as OC at CU. My point is the guy is an absolute prick. He loved his QBs, they could do no wrong in his eyes and he coddled them to no end, so it's no surprise they all think good things about Watson. Seems like Klatt has picked off some of Waton's douchiness and holier than thou attitude. If you were an employee, walk-on or non-QB freshman, you learned to steer clear of Watson and his perfectly coifed hairdo and visor combo pretty quickly.

18. C(U)3PO

C(U)3PO Member

Definitely, not a surprise though. Apparently he started lining up boosters as early as two years go.

19. ScottyBuff

As an alum, "lining up boosters" isn't that abnormal.

Being proactive in assembling a coaching staff five months before the job was "officially" available speaks to possibly more going on behind the scenes than we envisioned.

20. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

It was interesting when I mentioned two weeks ago on the Emburrrito poll!

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Maybe more than some envisioned, but I am of the belief that Bohn made it abundantly clear to Hawkins that his ass was fired a long time ago. I don't think it was any big secret.

22. The Guest

The Guest Guest

It didn't seem interesting to me back then. But as the weeks (two) passed, I found it fascinating. Rep to Scotty.

23. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

24. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I think it was something in the way Scotty said it. Much more poignant! Rep to Scotty!

ScottyBuff and (deleted member) like this.
  25. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Possibly the most interesting thing I've read all week. Thanks! Rep.

26. ScottyBuff

This thread's sarcasm meter is going through the roof

27. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I'm just saying, it feels like about two weeks ago I was sitting here thinking "there is nothing interesting to read on Allbuffs." Then all of a sudden there was some sort of spark or something and interesting things started to show up again.

1 person likes this.
  28. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Everytime I see the title of this thread, I think, maybe appropriately:

[​IMG]