1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encouraged by early recruiting

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Duff Man, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

1. In-state recruiting is a priority. Not just lip service either. With four coaches assigned to Colorado, we can finally build strong relationships with schools. An in-state Junior Day was a nice touch as well. Kids understand they may not get offered, but they appreciate the respect from the coaching staff.

2. We are not ditching Texas. Why Dan Hawkins decided he could ignore that state is downright bizarre. Thankfully, the Embree staff did do one thing right in getting our name back into the state. Now we can build upon that and aggressively target kids in the Houston, DFW, Austin, and San Antonio. Walters in Houston and Jeffcoat in DFW should pay off.

3. We are offering quality players. Lots of blue chips and kids who will be right below that level when it's all said and done. Quality high school programs too.

Dont fret about momentum right now. I think things in December/January will fun to follow.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Improvement on the field this year will make MM's sales pitch to those blue chips a lot easier! Somehow finding 6 wins and a bowl game would put the rebuilding project in overdrive.

3. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

Dang, that's a positive outlook! It all makes sense - if there is evidence of hope on the field next season.

Of course you're gonna be accused of drinking the Kool Aid, but that's a terrible analogy since Jim Jones's Jonestown Guyanans knew they were toasting their deaths, at least (most) Buffs fans are no more than delusional. That said, I'll have what BP's having.

Are you sure that's yellow Kool Aid?

4. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Not gonna lie, Adam's post the other day about our recruiting strategy got me a little hard.

My only complaint is just having one old guy assigned to Arizona. Really wish we'd place more emphasis on that state.

5. Nupe90

Nupe90 Member

AGREE, big time! AZ is off the hook, tons of talent and kids who can get down with the PAC-12 style of game.

6. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Staff was very active in Arizona while at SJSU and I'd expect they will continue to be so. Having one "old guy" recruiting there is no issue since this guy has done it very effectively for a long time. He is very well connected there.

Bernardi was at Arizona for 6 years starting in 1980 and over the next 30 years, never ventured further away than USC/UCLA. He knows all the top head coaches in that state and has for many years.

We are in good hands in Arizona.

jahbrahakala likes this.
  7. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

At least the strategy is good. It may take a while to get the talent we were used to, but you can't get there without a plan/vision. Our coaches seem like really good guys as well. I can see them doing well in a living room.

8. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Honestly, if Duff Man is encouraged, I'm encouraged too.

9. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I haven't seen him this encouraged since he drank the Kool Aid and started that "We're going Bowling" thread last summer!

10. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Where'd you guys go? I know Lucky Strike is/was a decent but overpriced place in Lodo.

11. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Next person who starts one of those gets throat punched.

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

To be clear, it's still about landing players at the end of the day.:wink2:

But this is the best recruiting plan I have seen of any of the last three staffs. Probably significantly better.

13. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

To be fair, the last two staffs didn't even have recruting plans.

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Duff + positivity in recruiting = Good.

Duff + positivity about going bowling = bad.

15. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yep.

16. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I absolutely trust Duff's opinions on recruiting.

17. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

Can you elaborate more on the recruiting plan? I have not heard much detail other than Jeffcoat and Wlaters in TX and Bernardi in AZ. Thanks.

18. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Read the first post in this thread...

19. White_Rabbit

You doing shots of kool-aid again?

:smile2:

I'm not hating on Bernardi, I don't know how good or bad of a recruiter he is. Just we had this older guy assigned to AZ by himself last time.... didn't work out well.....

I just was hoping to have him + a young guy that could help him. Like I said, from what I can tell, I love the plan. I was just hoping for a little bit more emphasis on AZ with more than 1 guy assigned there.

20. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I don't know who we end up with but at least it looks like they aren't "settling" for the guys they can get easily and then trying to sell us on them.

Coaching has been a huge issue with the last two staffs and it has cost us games but ultimately no matter how good or bad your coaches are it comes back to talent. This team right now severely lacks the talent needed to stay on the field with the better teams on our schedule.

The proof is going to show on LOI day but I am encouraged so far, just frustrated because I am waiting for their work to turn into some commits.

Highlander likes this.
  21. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

The guy assigned is really more of the networker who finds guys and often more importantly, weeds them out. He identifies , and is the first recruiter. The closer is the position coach and Mac.

I played ALL of my ball in AZ , and coached a bit of HS there. Bernardi is well coonected to HS coaches. He will hear all about HS coach's own players, opponents, their flaws etc from the guys who know. Very important to identify the right targets.

HS coaches play a huge role in the ID process as well as they send their kids to coaches they know and trust. That's bit us badly.

22. White_Rabbit

If we suck at recruiting in AZ again I'm holding you personally responsible!