What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

Might be a good combination.

EB is known from past history for volatile emotions. KD shows his emotional outburst by blinking slightly more rapidly. Provide some balance.

I would probably describe Dorrell more as competent than respected. After that many years in the business he has found his level as a WR coach. It would be logical that with that much experience he would be at least a passing game coordinator or some similar elevated responsibility.

Hope he gets the job to save CU some money but agree with @4BienemyTDs that this is probably an attempt to show that he is complying with his requirement to seek employment. KD is most interested in retiring to his Boulder County home, Looking at his coaching and recruiting results it seems that he already had done so emotionally when he came to CU.
I used to coach soccer with a guy that was very hot headed. He had me and another guy as assistants because we balanced him out. 😂

Is your coaching name Beard?
beard GIF

yes

We have justified feelings about some former CU HCs. But that doesn't mean they aren't great in certain coaching roles.

Any NFL team would be in great shape if it had KD coaching WRs, MacIntyre coaching DBs, and Embree coaching TEs.
I did a deep dive on KD's record as an NFL wide receiver coach, back when he came to CU.
I was unable to find any evidence to support that he made a difference. None whatsoever.

I did a deep dive on KD's record as an NFL wide receiver coach, back when he came to CU.
I was unable to find any evidence to support that he made a difference. None whatsoever.
I believe Davante Parker had his best season under KD

I believe Davante Parker had his best season under KD
Which of course may have had little, nothing, or everything to do with KD.

Which is my point, it's pretty hard to tell. So I'm unwilling to attest to the truthfulness of "Any NFL team would be in great shape if it had KD coaching WRs" any more than I'm willing to state that he sucks as a WR coach.

I didn't see improved WR performance during his tenure at CU, with two different position coaches under him, that I'm sure of.

Which of course may have had little, nothing, or everything to do with KD.

Which is my point, it's pretty hard to tell. So I'm unwilling to attest to the truthfulness of "Any NFL team would be in great shape if it had KD coaching WRs" any more than I'm willing to state that he sucks as a WR coach.

I didn't see improved WR performance during his tenure at CU, with two different position coaches under him, that I'm sure of.
KD coaching style….
1678015903822.gif

Maybe that’s helpful…

2023 proved his worth. KC's offense was a dumpster fire that was saved only by having the best QB in the league, while the Commanders offense improved markedly despite having a JAG QB and a questionable offensive line.
Had nothing to do with EB. KC had maybe the worst receiving corp in the league. Everyone knows Andy is, and has always been the OC.

Had nothing to do with EB. KC had maybe the worst receiving corp in the league. Everyone knows Andy is, and has always been the OC.
???

They had very few changes in the receiving corps between 2022 and 2023; they basically replaced JuJu Smith Schuster with Rashee Rice and Mecole Hardman with Richie James. James didn't work out, but they got Hardman back midway through the season.

As for Rice vs. Smith-Schuster:
  • Schuster 2022 numbers with KCC: 101 targets, 78 receptions, 933 yds, 3 TDs, 47 first downs.
  • Rice 2023 numbers with KCC: 102 targets, 79 receptions, 938 yds, 7 TDs, 44 first downs.
They basically got the same production out of Rice in 2023 vs. Smith-Schuster in 2022. The rest of the WR group was unchanged (MVS, Moore, Toney, Justin Watson).

So what made it the "worst receiving corp in the league" this year and not last year under Bieniemy?

???

They had very few changes in the receiving corps between 2022 and 2023; they basically replaced JuJu Smith Schuster with Rashee Rice and Mecole Hardman with Richie James. James didn't work out, but they got Hardman back midway through the season.

• Schuster 2022 numbers with KCC: 101 targets, 78 receptions, 933 yds, 3 TDs, 47 first downs.
  • Rice 2023 numbers with KCC: 102 targets, 79 receptions, 938 yds, 7 TDs, 44 first downs.
They basically got the same production out of Rice in 2023 vs. Smith-Schuster in 2022. The rest of the WR group was unchanged (MVS, Moore, Toney, Justin Watson).

So what made it the "worst receiving corp in the league" this year and not last year under Bieniemy?
Weird comment.

The Chiefs receiving corp being terrible has been a major talking point this year in the NFL.

Just Google "Chiefs receivers" and everything that comes up will be a out how big a disaster the group has been.

???

And using stats to make an argument here doesn't really mean anything. Two guys having identical stats tells a very small part of the story.

Weird comment.

The Chiefs receiving corp being terrible has been a major talking point this year in the NFL.

Just Google "Chiefs receivers" and everything that comes up will be a out how big a disaster the group has been.

And using stats to make an argument here doesn't really mean anything. Two guys having identical stats tells a very small part of the story.

Original post that you responded to said "2023 proved [EB's] worthKC's offense was a dumpster fire that was saved only by having the best QB in the league"

You responded: "Had nothing to do with EB. KC had maybe the worst receiving corp in the league. Everyone knows Andy is, and has always been the OC"

I pointed out that the receiving personnel in KC in 2023 is IDENTICAL to the personnel that they had in 2022, with two exceptions. I further pointed out that in the biggest change (Rice vs. JSS), KC got identical production.

Andy Reid is still there. EB is not.

If, as you assert, Andy was and has always been the OC, then it would stand to reason that he would produce similar results with mostly the same personnel. He has not. KCC has regressed in every major statistical category.

I'm open to the argument that the regression is not SOLELY due to EB's departure, but your assertion that it "has nothing to do with EB" and blaming the WR talent is not compelling when it's the same guys (with one exception) that are playing WR this year.

Original post that you responded to said "2023 proved [EB's] worthKC's offense was a dumpster fire that was saved only by having the best QB in the league"

You responded: "Had nothing to do with EB. KC had maybe the worst receiving corp in the league. Everyone knows Andy is, and has always been the OC"

I pointed out that the receiving personnel in KC in 2023 is IDENTICAL to the personnel that they had in 2022, with two exceptions. I further pointed out that in the biggest change (Rice vs. JSS), KC got identical production.

Andy Reid is still there. EB is not.

If, as you assert, Andy was and has always been the OC, then it would stand to reason that he would produce similar results with mostly the same personnel. He has not. KCC has regressed in every major statistical category.

I'm open to the argument that the regression is not SOLELY due to EB's departure, but your assertion that it "has nothing to do with EB" and blaming the WR talent is not compelling when it's the same guys (with one exception) that are playing WR this year.
EB isn't a good coordinator and is not head coach material.

EB didn't call the plays.

Everyone but you notices and points out the drop in play from the receivers.

Wow, those are bold statements of opinion
IF Jeff Fisher can keep getting a job for being a terrible coach, but an legendary White Man coach, then poor old EB deserves a chance.
Vance Joseph, Josh McDaniels, and Nathaniel Hackett have less experiences and success than EB, but they got a chance

EB called all the Washington plays and I would like to see him get a chance, even if he fails, at least he gets a chance

Quit moving the goalposts.

OP assertion was that EB proved his worth because Washington's offense was better than 2022 and KC's was worse.

Your rebuttal was that KC's offensive problems were the fault of a lackluster WR corps, and that EB's departure had nothing to do with it.

I pointed out that the WR personnel was entirely the same year to year with one exception. In that case, they got almost the exact same production from the replacement. Ergo, if WR wasn't the problem in 2022 (when KC had a top 3-5 offense by any statistical measure), then it shouldn't have been in 2023, unless it was correlated to another variable (such as the departure of EB).

Your initial 'rebuttal' to my argument was no rebuttal at all- you said that since a whole bunch of commentators said that the WR group was cheeks, then that must be the problem, and that the statistics I presented meant nothing.

Now you are arguing that EB isn't a good coordinator, didn't call the plays, and he's not HC material. This was not your original argument, and is an entirely separate discussion.

Here are the facts:
  • The roster was remarkably stable on offense-it was almost exactly the same starters from 2022- and KC invested in the offseason on that side of the ball:
    • Of players that started any games on offense for the Chiefs in 2022, 3 left: JuJu Smith Schuster, Orlando Brown, and Mecole Hardman.
    • To offset, Chiefs brought in Jawaan Taylor (T), Richie James (WR), and Donovan Smith (T) and drafted Rashee Rice (WR) & another (T)
  • They regressed in EVERY major category on offense:
    • 2022: 29.2 PPG, 2.71 points per drive, scored on 46.4% of drives, expected points 281, Red Zone 69.4%
    • 2023: 21.8 PPG, 2.01 points per drive, scored on 39.3% of drives, expected points 62, Red Zone 54.1%
One would think that if the WR corps was a constant and that it was the same OC still calling plays that there'd be less of a regression than that. I wonder what else changed?
  • Also, Washington improved in almost every major category on offense:
    • 2022: 18.9 PPG, 1.55 points per drive, scored on 28.4% of drives, expected points -24.7, Red Zone 51.2%
    • 2023: 19.4 PPG, 1.68 points per drive, scored on 29.4% of drives, expected points -30.0, Red Zone 63.3%

Quit moving the goalposts.

OP assertion was that EB proved his worth because Washington's offense was better than 2022 and KC's was worse.

Your rebuttal was that KC's offensive problems were the fault of a lackluster WR corps, and that EB's departure had nothing to do with it.

I pointed out that the WR personnel was entirely the same year to year with one exception. In that case, they got almost the exact same production from the replacement. Ergo, if WR wasn't the problem in 2022 (when KC had a top 3-5 offense by any statistical measure), then it shouldn't have been in 2023, unless it was correlated to another variable (such as the departure of EB).

Your initial 'rebuttal' to my argument was no rebuttal at all- you said that since a whole bunch of commentators said that the WR group was cheeks, then that must be the problem, and that the statistics I presented meant nothing.

Now you are arguing that EB isn't a good coordinator, didn't call the plays, and he's not HC material. This was not your original argument, and is an entirely separate discussion.

Here are the facts:
  • The roster was remarkably stable on offense-it was almost exactly the same starters from 2022- and KC invested in the offseason on that side of the ball:
    • Of players that started any games on offense for the Chiefs in 2022, 3 left: JuJu Smith Schuster, Orlando Brown, and Mecole Hardman.
    • To offset, Chiefs brought in Jawaan Taylor (T), Richie James (WR), and Donovan Smith (T) and drafted Rashee Rice (WR) & another (T)
  • They regressed in EVERY major category on offense:
    • 2022: 29.2 PPG, 2.71 points per drive, scored on 46.4% of drives, expected points 281, Red Zone 69.4%
    • 2023: 21.8 PPG, 2.01 points per drive, scored on 39.3% of drives, expected points 62, Red Zone 54.1%
One would think that if the WR corps was a constant and that it was the same OC still calling plays that there'd be less of a regression than that. I wonder what else changed?
  • Also, Washington improved in almost every major category on offense:
    • 2022: 18.9 PPG, 1.55 points per drive, scored on 28.4% of drives, expected points -24.7, Red Zone 51.2%
    • 2023: 19.4 PPG, 1.68 points per drive, scored on 29.4% of drives, expected points -30.0, Red Zone 63.3%
If he did such a great job in Washington you’d think he’d get the head coach job there? New England promptly hired from their staff when they knew they had the guy. If Washington doesn’t think EB can be their guy after having him on staff all year why should another team?

Back