1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN article on running Big Ten QBs reminded me of the days of the old Big 8

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NashBuff, Aug 23, 2011.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ew-old-new-again-big-ten-running-quarterbacks

Wasn't the old Big 8 like that as well whereas every QB had to be able to run the football? I do miss those old days especially QBs such as Hagan, Stewart, and Ochs for starters. Now with the Pac-12, we pretty much have Darron Thomas from UO as the Pac-12 QB that can run...is it that the Pac-12 is too interwined with its reputation of developing future pocket QBs for the NFL QBs that they simply have ignored a different category of QB...the running QB?

2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

M. Tuiososopo had success at UW.

3. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Yes and Locker as well. I'm talking about this year's haul of Pac-12 QBs.

4. Mick Ronson

ah, OK. my bad.

5. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

Oregon shifted the PAC with their offense recently. Locker ran when he had to. The Big 8 was triple option, of course the QB had to run. I think there is still room for option in college football. It is hard to defend. You see pro teams run an option occasionally but the QBs cost so much you can't get them hurt. From the recruiting news I've seen, the pro style QB is in demand. Big12 QBs lately have been pro style. Bradford, McCoy, Gabbert, Freeman to name a few. PAC12 will be the same 'cept for the Ducks. I like what Embo is putting in place. It will help recruiting QBs that want a shot at the NFL.

6. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

McCoy and Gabbert pro-style? Bradford didn't too much under center while at OU and Freeman was an athletic freak. His size and ability and upside was why he got drafted, not because of what he showed in college. These guys were all drafted so I'm not saying they weren't good, just that their offenses weren't necessarily pro-style.

7. Mick Ronson

McCoy in the Greg Davis zone read O did quite a bit of running on the draw type dealie play. Colt drops back, whatever his roommate WR friend's name was runs a deep type route to pull the DB's back, they freeze the LB's with the fake handoff and a TE across the middle. Colt find the hole on the front line and takes off. seems like they ran this every 3rd down when i saw them play.

edit: Jordan Shipley (did you know their dad's played together at Abeline Christian?....the announcer drones on for the 18 millionth time...) can't spell Abaline.

8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Don't forget Luck - he can run extremely well

9. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Or that QB from Toledo. A burner.