1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone ready for the Bball Conf. tourneys?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by CSU Husker, Mar 12, 2008.

1. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example of why College Football should NOT change its format. There is almost no excitement to the conference tourneys, they mean almost nothing. Compare them to the conference championship games in fb, not even close.

2. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

That's why I feel that if college football does go to a playoff system that they should keep it to a very low number of teams and I think 4 that ideal number. If the playoff were 16 of even 8 teams, then the KU-Mizzou game or the Big 12 title game both would have been dimished because in those games, both teams would get into the playoff anyway. I love the fact that big late season games and CCG's are almost always elimination games instead of just who is going to get a better seed.

Back to the college b-ball tourneys, they're actually more important for teams that are on the NCAA bubble, but for the teams which are already locks for the NCAA are simply playing for seedings.

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

A conference championship in basketball is nearly meaningless.

4. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

Win your tourney, make the dance. CU could still make it!! :wow:

5. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I might be able to wake up and fly...:wow:

I love this time of year... it is the absolute best!!! Tourney time!!!

:woot:

6. BUFFCAKE

BUFFCAKE Active Member

How meaningful would you say the ACC football championship has been since its inception?

7. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat:

March Madness is the greatest of all time. The BCS doesn't even compare. It ain't even close.

CarolinaBuff likes this.
  8. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

Sure, but college bball sucks ass during the regular season. They had a #1 v #2 matchup and nobody gave a ****. I'll take months of excitement over weeks.

9. Scotch

I disagree, but I'm more of a hoops fan anyway.

10. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Agreed......that is why it is so depressing that we have sucked for so long...I hope Jeff B gets it turned around.

11. CarolinaBuff

Agreed, these 2 and a half weeks are awesome, and I say that even though our Buffs are rarely in it. This week or 2 before it starts is almost nearly as great with the conference tourneys serving as a warm-up and the anticipation of the brackets being released and who's in, who's out, and who's going where. :thumbsup:

I find the bowl season and even the BCS bowls anti-climactic coming off the best 3 months of the year.

12. Scotch

My favorite part of March is the Weekend of the conference tourneys through the first weekend of the NCAA's.

13. CarolinaBuff

:yeahthat:

14. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

Me too. I like when there are constantly games on and constantly upsets (hopefully) it is much more exciting than the later rounds when my bracket is already f*cked to hell.

15. CarolinaBuff

That's one of the biggest reasons that I also like these next 2 weekends the best, because of the the volume of games going on in so many different cities at once. Plus the presence of daytime games on Thursday and Friday of this week and next makes it all a special and unique aura.

16. Scotch

:nod:

There is just more desperate play in the conference tourneys. For a lot of teams in the country, whether major, mid-major, or small conference, just getting to the tourney is the big prize. Makes for some exciting games.

I always laugh when I hear people talk about expanding the field past 64 teams. The flippen whole month of March is one big tournament.

17. CarolinaBuff

I think the current size of 64 is perfect given the overall number of D-I programs and taking the automatic bids into account. Another thing that's good about it is that it's a power of 2, so every team has to play 6 games and there's no bye's, which would only put more emphasis on the seedings when they're already splitting hairs between a 1 and 2 seed, a 2 and 3 seed, etc. Expanding the field to 96 teams wouldn't mean that all bubble teams would get in, it would just add different bubble teams that would have a gripe when they get left out on selection Sunday. The part about bubble teams will never go away regardless of how many teams they put in the field.

The one thing they do need to change is get rid of that ridiculous play-in game.