1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expansion may be done for a while. ACC approves grant of media rights deal

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffedup, Apr 22, 2013.

1. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

3. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

Might spell the end of any expansion of the Big 12 into the east to find a partner for West Virginia, unless Cincinnati is eventually pulled out of the newly renamed American Athletic Conference.

4. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Lol at WVU

5. buffedup

They simply won't expand then since there aren't any schools that would add enough to the TV pie to make it a net positive for each school.

6. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

Possibly. Depends on how much the Big 12's television partners value a championship game. If it ever wanted to get to 12 members again - the Big 12's options just got very limited with the grant of rights in the ACC. The Big 12 should have moved on Louisville when it had the chance.

7. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Contracts get ripped up all the time, so I still say never say never. The real winner in all of this is Wake, there's potentially many losers depending on the way you look at it. The real loser I think is UConn; if the ACC is staying put, they are really screwed in terms of geography. The only thing I can come up with is the Big 10, but I don't see it.

8. buffedup

This isn't an ordinary contact. The conference own all media rights to that school until the contract expires. So Clemson for instance can leave any time, but all of their TV revenue belongs to the ACC.

9. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Sacky is going to be pissed. I know he really wanted Texas and Baylor in the PAC.

10. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I hope there's some stability. So tired of musical chairs!

11. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

This sucks, I was hoping the few football schools in the ACC would bolt to another conference.

12. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I would love for this to be over. As for the Big 12, they're stuck with the choice of forgoing a CCG or becoming the next Big East and adding second-tier schools.

13. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

fify....talking TV markets here. Neither of those schools add much to any TV pkg.

14. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Obviously it isn't, just wouldn't say it's impossible something couldn't be worked out say 10 years down the line? I doubt it happens, but contracts do get ripped up and reworked.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I could see the B12 adding two teams easily. CSU and UNM would provide decent balance, halfway decent television markets, and some basketball cache. Yes, I know basketball isn't the engine that's running this, but if you're the Big 12, and already have some very solid football programs, adding a couple of basketball schools to the mix might not be the worst idea. It gets you a football championship game, more money, and some additional exposure during the winter.