What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Extend Mac now

RG has always waited until the end of the season to deal with contracts and I'm sure he'll do that again, hopefully before the bowl game though so there's no distractions.

He now looks like a cleaner, better version of sparkles. It still took him way longer than they would be comfortable with.

Hopefully these discussions were started weeks ago. Hopefully he likes it here and wants to stay for a long time. Good problem to have, but definitely nervous. I just ask the AD do all they can with $ and incentives to make it difficult for MikeMac to leave. He is the entire reason the stadium is filling again, which RG has been saying was a tremendous loss of $ (opportunity cost).

I also hope they do what they can to keep Leavitt and others. Everyone deserves to share in the $ from the rise.

I doubt he leaves, why would he want to? I think he legitimately loves it here and he's building something he can be proud of. He seems like such a nice, genuine guy that it would be impossible for him to leave this recruiting class behind. But I guess it happens all the time!

LSU or UT fans would riot if they hired MacIntyre, not going to happen. Other schools might hire him, like Vanderbilt or Baylor.

I don't think we are in danger of losing MM to a blue blood program. He has not shown he can sustain success yet and I don't think UT or LSU is going to shell out $6-7m/yr for a coach with a losing record and one good season at the P5 level.

There were a lot of CU fans that were unhappy when Tharp hired Barnett because of his record at NU. That NU turnaround is rivaled only by what Father Time did at KSU. Once a program has elite success the fans become much crazier than the crazies on this board. Winning breeds insanity.

In that huge article on ESPN about Mac last week Jay was quoted as saying the Colorado job was his dads dream job. I see no reason why he'd leave here other than money but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy. First off his son is here and while he's said many times he treats Jay like a diff player it would be hard to turn that off. Second Boulder offers some of the highest quality of living in the country. Baton Rouge is a f**cking sh1thole and Texas is set on Herman. Third the pressure to win at CU is low right now. But we've been a powerhouse before and we've made some moves to get back there. We now have some of the best facilities in the country, a rabid fan base, /land the support of the administration. If you ask me he would be crazy to leave here but maybe I'm biased ;)

There's nothing MM can't accomplish at CU, and as long as Saban is at Bama, EVERY SEC program is playing for 2nd place. As long as CU doesn't insult him with the $$, and assuming he isn't itching to live in the South again, I don't see why he would leave right now.

Mac and his agent won't agree to an extension right now anway. Let's finish this thing and then lock him up

Coaches go schools that:

1) Pay them top dollar
2) They can win championships at
3) Invest money into the program
3) Holds some personal significance (alma mater, previous experience coaching there, etc.)

Vanderbilt fired Mac's father and Mac transferred to GA Tech after, so I don't see him having much nostalgia for that place. Between this season and the facility upgrades, I would hope we'd be as attractive as most places with respect to #2 & #3.

#1?? We'll see. We're probably not going to pay a coach $5M per, I just hope we can see the benefit that a winning program brings and be competitive.

Mac is at $2M a year. Prob need to up to $3.5-4 to compete I think. Thoughts?
$4M would put him right near the top of the Pac 12 (David Shaw territory), but for comparison 8 SEC coaches make more than Shaw. I'd also expect Oregon to be in the same ballpark if they they go big to replace Helfrich and Peterson's new contract will be up there too.

I think you're in the right zone - $4M would make it tough to leave.

Definitely need to up the pay. I did my undergrad at Baylor, and there is some chit chat that BU is looking at MM, though he's not the top choice. But Baylor will shell out $5m for the right coach (Briles made about 6 his last year there). If we're only paying MM 2, we'll definitely have to up it. No matter how much he loves it here, an offer that doubles his salary would be enough to catch his eye. Hopefully RG will do whatever is necessary to tie him down long term.

It will be interesting to track CUAD revenue increases year over year.

Additional proceeds put back into retaining HCMM and key contributors coaching staff makes sense.

The P12N business model seems like it's on less than solid footing. Cord cutting trends & the DTV stalemate has not maximized exposure of the Buffs' Rise.

Can you imagine how bigger CU's 2016 story would be if ESPN had an incentive to treat the Buffs like an SEC team?

For CU to bump up salaries to B1G or SEC levels, it's going to take a better TV contract, a bigger and fuller Folsom, and donors opening up the wallets even more.

CU is going to pay the coaches what they can afford, which may be less than what the going market rate for the services of MacIntyre and his assistants might be.

I just can't imagine coaches with options going to Baylor right now - that place is a cess pool.
Yes, I definitely think/ hope that will keep MM away. But again, if he's offered double his current salary with more for assistant salaries as well, we'll need up contracts considerably. Which assuming we get it done, is good - because these guys sure deserve it.

When I reviewed the numbers earlier this fall, I seem to recall we were 8th or 9th in assistant coach salary pool as well. Not only do we need to pony up for Mac, but a few assistants are in line for some healthy bumps as well.

Back