What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fearless predictions for CU's 2018 season

I don't think he is a finished product, but it should not take another whole season for him to figure it out. It's a waste of time to keep waiting much longer.
I'm not as negative as you, but I have this feeling he's just missing the necessary makeup to be more than a collection of parts. If that makes sense.

Some pretty great performances in there, too. But also some real clunkers to balance that and most games somewhere in between. Most games very uneven, actually.

Where we disagree completely is that you seem to have decided who Montez is as a leader and what he can do on the field. I think that's absolutely crazy to think of a guy as a finished product after his sophomore year. He is growing up. Roper is going to have a huge influence on his game prep and maturity. This is the year it comes together and Montez busts out.
Simply labeling him as a Sophomore and excusing some immaturity because of it is disingenuous, as he's been on campus, in the program, around the players and coaches for 3 full years. Also, there is a higher standard for QBs, like it or not. I hope you're right about this being the year the maturity clicks for him, but most guys don't just suddenly become leaders in year 4.

Davion Taylor is 1st team all PAC 12
Fontenot becomes our lead back by end of the season - deservedly so, not bc others suck
KD Nixon has two returns for TD

Simply labeling him as a Sophomore and excusing some immaturity because of it is disingenuous, as he's been on campus, in the program, around the players and coaches for 3 full years. Also, there is a higher standard for QBs, like it or not. I hope you're right about this being the year the maturity clicks for him, but most guys don't just suddenly become leaders in year 4.
I didn't excuse it. Montez was out of shape in 2016 and thought it was all about having fun rather than treating it like a job in 2017. I simply believe that just as the lightbulb went on regarding his physical conditioning after 2016, that the lightbulb has gone on regarding the importance of the mental/maturity side of being a college QB after 2017. Roper has gotten through to him.

I didn't excuse it. Montez was out of shape in 2016 and thought it was all about having fun rather than treating it like a job in 2017. I simply believe that just as the lightbulb went on regarding his physical conditioning after 2016, that the lightbulb has gone on regarding the importance of the mental/maturity side of being a college QB after 2017. Roper has gotten through to him.
Hope so, because his arrogance and antics were a big part of the overall, toxic team culture last year.

I'm not as negative as you, but I have this feeling he's just missing the necessary makeup to be more than a collection of parts. If that makes sense.

I just want to see starting QBs pushed. The lack of competition for the starting job every single year, regardless of previous performance, gets pretty old when the offense only occasionally looks good.

I have a hard time believing MM would replace Montez based on how well Noyer/Lytle performs in practice. And let’s be honest with ourselves for a minute, neither of those guys is getting in a game without Montez getting hurt first.

So unless Montez gets hurt and misses 3-4 games and Noyer/Lytle steps in and blows up, it’s very unlikely one of them will just beat him out.

I love the optimism.
  1. Probably not, but they'll be so improved from last year that it'll seem like it.
  2. Totally agree.
  3. Still doubtful on the D-line, but it should be improved over last year (which isn't saying much).
  4. Man, I hope so, but I haven't watched Shenault closely enough.
  5. I don't think they'll be as good, but still a strong defensive backfield.
  6. Buffs finally beats USC. YES!
  7. Not a top 25, but still trending upward.

1. Comeback win over the Fuskers! (if we're down 7-0 in the first quarter and we score the next four touchdowns, it still counts as a comeback, right?)

I promise I was going to say the following before the Montez discussion ensued:

Buffs start off 2-1 but look similar to last year's non-conference slate on offense. Tyler Lytle is given the reigns to the offense during the bye week heading into conference play and we now have our QB we've been waiting for. Leadership, toughness, smarts, maturity. He leads the Buffs to a 7-2 conference record.

1. Offensive line is the best since the Barnett era even with freshmen starting at LT (Moretti) and C (Pursell).
  2. Montez is honored as an all-conference QB.
  3. Run defense is among the best in the Pac-12.
  4. Shenault has a breakout year that reminds us of Westbrook.
  5. Miller is our CB1 and the CBs are much better than 2017 even without Oliver.
  6. Buffs finally beat USC en route to winning the Pac-12 South, finishing 11-1 but then losing a second time to Washington in the Championship.
  7. Recruiting class finishes ranked Top 25 nationally in the 247sports Composite.
24869.jpg
1. Doubtful, I will settle for better than last year.
2. I think Montez has all the tools, but difficult to say he is all-conference. He will be good.
3. Run D should be sound, not all-conference, but sound.
4. Shenault is going to blow up
5. Okay.
6. Would love to see it, but this isn't the year.
7. Okay.

I love the optimism.

1. Comeback win over the Fuskers! (if we're down 7-0 in the first quarter and we score the next four touchdowns, it still counts as a comeback, right?)
remember all the times the fuskers scored on the opening play of the game? we knew it would be an option pitch to the short side of the field along with the whole stadium, to only watch a bugeater catch the pitch and run right in front of the CU bench for a TD. This better not happen.

1. Montez loses his job, and it's a good thing.

2. Our defensive line is good.

3. Hcmm wins and stays.
Outside of one exceptional performance against a horrible Oregon defense, he is pretty mediocre, his rocket arm notwithstanding.

The 2017 had a major issue with leadership and it started at the top.
Lack of leadership and also an open question of how much is between the ears. There is a reason to be concerned.

I put it at 50/50 that Montez benefits from a year of maturity and Roper. If he does, sky is the limit.

If he flashes his frat sign to his "family" upon his first TD toss, I'd be looking immediately for next guy up. Nothing says I'm a leader like "my boys are in the stands".

Either way, I hope "next guy up" gets a ton of work in August and a chance to play early. Next guy up would be given series in all of the non-conference games, independent of score, if it was up to me.

Last edited:
I put it at 50/50 that Montez benefits from a year of maturity and Roper. If he does, sky is the limit.

If he flashes his frat sign to his "family" upon his first TD toss, I'd be looking immediately for next guy up. Nothing says I'm a leader like "my boys are in the stands".

Either way, I hope "next guy up" gets a ton of work in August and a chance to play early. Next guy up would be given series in all of the non-conference games, independent of score, if it was up to me.
If the worst thing your starting QB does is flash his Frat sign after a TD, I think you have very very little to complain about.

In fact, I hope he does it very very often this year.

Some pretty great performances in there, too. But also some real clunkers to balance that and most games somewhere in between. Most games very uneven, actually.

Where we disagree completely is that you seem to have decided who Montez is as a leader and what he can do on the field. I think that's absolutely crazy to think of a guy as a finished product after his sophomore year. He is growing up. Roper is going to have a huge influence on his game prep and maturity. This is the year it comes together and Montez busts out.
Hopefully, he has the grey matter between his ears to do it.

I just want to see starting QBs pushed. The lack of competition for the starting job every single year, regardless of previous performance, gets pretty old when the offense only occasionally looks good.

This I agree with, and at every position.

Anytime the players don't believe that opportunity to play is based on merit the coach is at risk of losing the team. This is even more true when the team is losing games.

remember all the times the fuskers scored on the opening play of the game? we knew it would be an option pitch to the short side of the field along with the whole stadium, to only watch a bugeater catch the pitch and run right in front of the CU bench for a TD. This better not happen.
Holy ****, yes I remember those years. And it all came back to mind because you said something. Thanks a lot.
:)
**** 'braska.

Outside of one exceptional performance against a horrible Oregon defense, he is pretty mediocre, his rocket arm notwithstanding.

The 2017 had a major issue with leadership and it started at the top.

Hey Debby Downer, that's why MM hired the new QB coach. Montez will be better in all aspects and lead this team to a 6-6 record. How ya like dem apples?

Exactly how I feel. His frat brothers seem to mean way more to him than the team. I’m guessing the team might just notice that.

He can throw gang signs at the twins for all I give a **** as long as he keeps throwing tds

I promise I was going to say the following before the Montez discussion ensued:

Buffs start off 2-1 but look similar to last year's non-conference slate on offense. Tyler Lytle is given the reigns to the offense during the bye week heading into conference play and we now have our QB we've been waiting for. Leadership, toughness, smarts, maturity. He leads the Buffs to a 7-2 conference record.
Is that a prediction or a wish?

Back