1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed-X Willing To Give $10 million Annually To The BCS Conference

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Jun 12, 2010.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

2. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

wow. talking about stepping up..

SEC would love a Fedex partnership I assume.

3. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Maybe CBS will televise a Memphis/South Carolina game where USC actually wins....

4. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

Fred Smith and Memphis have been working for well over a year to get into a BCS conference. Doesn't really surprise that the will drop 10 mil.

5. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The SEC might put that in their pipe and smoke it. I can't see the Big10 biting. This might also factor into a reconstructed Big12, or the Kansas/Missouri bloc whateve conference is hobbled together.

Hey FountainOfUte, too bad SLC doesn't have business the size of FedEx.

6. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

I think there will be more of this. As schools, boosters, cities, and fans start seeing that the CFB world is reorganzing to create super-conferences, possibly 4 x 16 member conferences (PAC-16, SEC, ACC, and Big-16) for a total of 64 teams to have a real championship playoff, they will want their school inside. If you are not one of those 64 schools in those 4 mega-conferences then you are SOL, and on the outside looking in. Those 64 schools will get richer, and will only share revenues among themselves and those other 50 or so schools will be lucky to get one or two teams in the playoffs if at all. I predict there is going to be a lot of scrambling the next few days, weeks, and months to ensure their particular school is secured in one of the superconferences. So there are going to be a lot more entitiies (boosters, corporations, cities) out there with deep pockets that will throw money at conferences to buy their way in. JMHO of course.

7. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

With all this money comes the added possibility for corruption.

I predict some real doozies in the future of CFB. White collar stuff.

What is St Louis based Budweiser willing to do for Mizzou? Maybe Hallmark and Sprint will go to bat for KU. Who knows what Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco is capable of doing on behalf of Baylor.

8. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

l will donate $5 to whoever leaves a flaming bag of **** on kameltosis' doorstep.

9. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Yep, FedEx is already very generous (read, corrupt) to the Memphis basketball program, i.e. getting Derrick Rose's brother a cush job...

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I've often said Memphis would make a very good addition to the B12. If this story has any validity, it should be noted at the B12 offices and in Austin. Adding Memphis and, say BYU to the B12 keeps the conference together, adds an additional $10MM/Year from Fed Ex, and allows UT to maintain their uber-dominance over the conference. It works out for everybody. Even if OU and A&M leave, the B12 could simply add TCU and Houston and be right back where they started.

Makes sense. I hope it happens.

11. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

If I were a shareholder, I would call for this guy's head....

12. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

I'm only an hour from tampa, and a finski goes a long way at taco bell...I'll keep you posted...

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'll throw in another $10. Make it happen.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I guess that means that Memphis is getting a Big East invite. Seriously. They need to make a move to increase value. Football should split from basketball, then add Memphis as a first invitation. Nice rivalries in place between Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati. Plus, 9 teams gets everyone in the conference 4 home games.

I wonder if they're just afraid to make a move until they know what teams may be available. For instance, if the ACC loses 2 or 3 teams while the Big East loses a couple, they probably just merge into a single 16-team conference. If they're short a team, they beg Notre Dame to come along.

15. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

They aren't sponsoring the Orange Bowl anymore. Better deal to have a year long sponsorship than one game.