What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Few key offseason storylines

Some need to slow the roll on Battey being back. He's back with the team, starting a road back. He's not yet back. First and foremost, let's hope and pray there's no more of these issues in his future, regardless of basketball.

First priority has to be his health.

Fortunately for him as a member of a P5 basketball team he has access to a level of monitoring and support that he wouldn't as a regular student of a young man out on his own. The athletic training staff and the S&C staff can maintain a level of attention that most people wouldn't get.

Article says Battey had a stroke. He has to work his way back to playing condition. Hopefully he can go all out by November.
Up until now, they had always said "a stroke-like incident." Did they get a better diagnosis or is this sloppy writing? No chance his parents, Tad or CU would let him play if there was a known serious risk to him. He has gained a lot of love, which will stay with him

I didn't see enough of D'Shawn to say last year, but heard he showed flashes. I wouldn't be surprised though if we go with Kin, Gatling, and Namon. I get that we need Gatling as a backup to Kin, but even if he doesn't start, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of the two of them on the floor together.

I'm really hoping that Battey plays - not just for his overall well being, but also for the team.

Not really sure how you don't put Lucas in the starting lineup, especially since he plays a lot on the perimeter and showed flashes of taking people off the dribble. It's nice to have a few interchangeable pieces based on match-ups.

Will need Walton and Bey to step up huge on the boards next year with GK gone. I couldn't tell if it was aggressiveness or just being in the right area, but D'Shawn did have some nice adjusted rebounding numbers too.

Not really sure how you don't put Lucas in the starting lineup, especially since he plays a lot on the perimeter and showed flashes of taking people off the dribble. It's nice to have a few interchangeable pieces based on match-ups.

Will need Walton and Bey to step up huge on the boards next year with GK gone. I couldn't tell if it was aggressiveness or just being in the right area, but D'Shawn did have some nice adjusted rebounding numbers too.
My guess is that Bey will be a 25 or 30 minute per game guy with Walton, Siewert and Battey rotating and all playing in that 18-25 mpg range. Wildcard for me is Lazar and whether he's really a 15-20 mpg guy on this team like he was this past season.

I feel like Del was pretty aggressive on offense too for his limited touches, it just hadn't totally clicked and then he got hurt.

My worry for this team is it fuels Tad's historic knack for stretching and mixing the lineup a little too much – my only oddly negative view of too much depth.

Great beginning post from YngC.

My thoughts on next years team:

Starting Lineup
PG - McKinley-Wright (If he improves his 3-point shot, which i think he will, we'll be worrying about how long until he declares.)
PG - Gatlin (Just what the doctor ordered. His ability to run the backup point is going to be huge next year)
SF - Schwartz (The silent assassin was feeling his way through the year. A little more muscle and attitude and he's set to avg 10/5.
PF - Bey (This guy with another 10 pounds of muscle will morph into Dre 2.0 and is going to be a Beast)
PF - Siewert (He's getting better and his shooting ability is going to be tough to leave on the bench)

- Walton played way more minutes than Tad wanted. Walton is better than I expected and still has a lot of room to improve. I think Tad will spot start Walton where necessary. Yep "House Money" YngC!
- I'm not sure if Namon will ever be consistent, he should be coming off the bench strictly for scoring purposes.
- I love Lazar's court awareness, but his shooting has to improve or he'll be delegated to the bench and eventually off the team.
- I'm beginning to think Deleon Brown needs a change. I thought he'd be a much better player, especially since he had a year at Brewster Academy before coming to CU. Maybe the injuries held him back. Maybe the light will switch on, but I doubt it.
- I'm expecting Daylen Kountz to push for a lot of time because he's a guy that should be able to create his own shots.
- If Strating wants to play basketball and get some court time, he'll need to transfer to do it.
- It would be a huge boost to our frontcourt depth if Battey overcomes his battle, and comes back and is advertised. This would also allow Dombek to get in a redshirt season.

Last edited:
I feel like Del was pretty aggressive on offense too for his limited touches, it just hadn't totally clicked and then he got hurt.

My worry for this team is it fuels Tad's historic knack for stretching and mixing the lineup a little too much – my only oddly negative view of too much depth.
Yep. His best lineup (before Spencer got hurt that year) had Spencer, Ski, XJ and J40 all playing 30 minutes a game with Wes at 25 mpg. Then they had XT, J-Hop and Dustin all playing 15-20 -- with XT & J-Hop inflated on that because they had to make up for Spencer's minutes late in the season after he went down. Basically an 8-man rotation that also included Fletch, King and Mills making an appearance in most games and playing under 10 minutes when they did get a chance.

I don't think we have a starting lineup that commands those kind of minutes, but I think we will get closer to that than the revolving door rotations we saw this past season where it seemed like everyone except Kin and King played 15-20 minutes a night.

Some need to slow the roll on Battey being back. He's back with the team, starting a road back. He's not yet back. First and foremost, let's hope and pray there's no more of these issues in his future, regardless of basketball.

It's a good thing we have Sieweirt and Walton coming back. Big Gravy doesn't have to rush right back in.

Could we be looking at a Carlon Brown type senior year from Namon? If we get anything like that this team has very few limitations.

"It's long overdue. I'm old," Wright said. "I sat out a year, so it's weird. I came into college in Dom's year, so seeing Dom graduate wakes me up a little bit. Josh Perkins and everybody else that was in my class in high school. Karl-Anthony Towns is a third-year guy and going to the playoffs in the NBA, and he was in my class in high school."

"I think Namon's season was in many ways like the team's season," Boyle said. "There were some flashes of brilliance and some moments that were, 'Yeah, that's why we recruited him.' There were other times where it felt like we needed more. We need more consistency from Namon. I think the inconsistency was there, and that's something as we do go forward as a group that we have to fix and find a solution to. And I think that's exactly what Namon has to do."

As he attempts to evolve as a leader, CU's only senior is focused on ironing out the small details in his game.
"I wouldn't have cared what I scored if we had gone to the tournament, and we didn't accomplish that," Wright said. "I've been looking at the film and looking at my turnovers and my rebounding numbers, and those are the things I've got to improve on. This offseason, I'm trying to really focus in. To help this team I have to be really locked-in with my skill-set. I think I struggled at being honed in on small things. For me, that's the offseason work."

Starting Lineup
PG - McKinley-Wright (If he improves his 3-point shot, which i think he will, we'll be worrying about how long until he declares.)
PG - Gatlin (Just what the doctor ordered. His ability to run the backup point is going to be huge next year)
SF - Schwartz (The silent assassin was feeling his way through the year. A little more muscle and attitude and he's set to avg 10/5.
PF - Bey (This guy with another 10 pounds of muscle will morph into Dre 2.0 and is going to be a Beast)
PF - Siewert (He's getting better and his shooting ability is going to be tough to leave on the bench)

I really hope Gatling is good enough to step right in as a starter from the first game. More realistically he starts the season on the bench and Namon gets first chance at 2guard.

Last edited:
Up until now, they had always said "a stroke-like incident." Did they get a better diagnosis or is this sloppy writing? No chance his parents, Tad or CU would let him play if there was a known serious risk to him. He has gained a lot of love, which will stay with him
I think it’s sloppy journalism. I have some knowledge of it, don’t take it for gospel, but this sounds similar to a parapeligic migraine. Not a stroke. They ****ing blow. I get them once every couple years and it disabilites you for a couple months max. I think Evan will be ok and a full go. Certainly not trying to discredit it. I get them. Danny spond a good friend who went to notre dame it ended his career with the addition of concussions. I would expect Evan to be at 80 % reasy to go

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23217065/g-league-announces-players-salaries-increased-35000

G-Leaguers coming out of high school can now earn $35,000 a year before taxes. That is not counting the housing and insurance G-League teams already provide. And it is for $7,000.00 per month for five months. And let's not forget the shoe deals one could sign as well. On other articles, the G-Leaguer can have his ASU online classes partially paid for as well.

And that goes up to $77.25k the following year if you are a two way player.

It won't be long before the blue chippers start spurning the NCAA for the G-League. It is starting tho.

It won't be long before the blue chippers start spurning the NCAA for the G-League. It is starting tho.[/QUOTE said:
Think about the possibilities of paying G league players even more ... maybe up to $100K a year ... this would be a legitimate incentive to players who think they will be NBA caliber and don't value the college education/experience so much ... also would be a godsend to players with poorer backgrounds. And this kind of money is trivial to NBA franchises ... a fraction of what they pay a starter to shore up a G League team

Now that the team is set for next year, we can focus in on who the likely starters would be.

Starters
M. Wright
N. Wright
Brown/Siewert (Matchup Dependent)
Bey
Walton

Bench
Gatling
Siewert/Brown
Battey
Schwartz (If he doesn't improve dramatically this year he could join Stratting on the all permasplinter team)

Permasplinter
Stratting
Parquet/Kountz (If Schwartz doesn't develop, then the one that doesn't redshirt could get some minutes).

Redshirt
Kountz/Parquet
Dombek

I really like that we should have a very solid 8 or 9 man rotation instead of the typical Tad dozen this year.

Now that the team is set for next year, we can focus in on who the likely starters would be.

Starters
M. Wright
N. Wright
Bey
Walton

Bench
Gatling
Siewert/Brown
Battey
Schwartz (If he doesn't improve dramatically this year he could join Stratting on the all permasplinter team)

Permasplinter
Stratting
Parquet/Kountz (If Schwartz doesn't develop, then the one that doesn't redshirt could get some minutes).

Redshirt
Kountz/Parquet
Dombek

I really like that we should have a very solid 8 or 9 man rotation instead of the typical Tad dozen this year.

I did not watch a lot of Buffs bball last year, and some of the games I did watch, we started losing so I turned off due to stupid superstition. But why are you so down on Schwartz? I didn't get to see him too much, but heard he had some good games with clutch shooting.

I still think we go MWIV, Gatling, Namon, Bey, Walton/Battey. I'm more optimistic about Kountz after seeing his updated videos, but I agree...think Parquet and Kountz are going to struggle to see the court, which honestly could be a good thing. Hopefully that means that our team is doing well. With Gatling in the fold, I'm getting pretty excited about our season, which I already had decent hopes for.

Starters
M. Wright
N. Wright
Bey
Walton

Bench
Gatling
Siewert/Brown
Battey

Permasplinter
Stratting

Redshirt
Kountz/Parquet
Dombek

I think the Wright x2, Siewert, Bey, Walton lineup would be a nightmare (for us, not opponents)...way too much size and way too many limited ball handlers on the floor. Of course this means it'll probably be used heavily. I feel like a broken record, but bogging down the floor with guys who can't create and take up too much space for those who do is the worst thing you can do in the college game (and basketball in general).

Don't care much about starters, but the most effective lineup will likely be M. Wright, Gatling, Schwartz, Bey, and Siewert. Again, not necessarily the starting lineup, although it could be...

Also, completely disagree about Schwartz. Think his current floor is a more polished Fletch and that is plenty good enough for a role on this team going forward. With continued shooting consistency and solid rebounding, he's a multiyear starter.

Kin
Gatling/Schwartz
Namon
Bey
Battey

Don't be surprised if that's our best 5 and primary lineup.

Battey over Walton?

Thinking Gatling/Schwartz/Brown will be a revolving door throughout the season.

Kane, think you saw something completely different than literally everyone else. Schwartz had the biggest adjustment to make, but he figured it out as the season went along. Massive offensive upside.

I think Walton starts and he's way advanced from last year. I really hope they are trying to put another 20 pounds on him

Back