What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

I say we embrace the comedy and let Chip coach the team. He has the same facial expression as KD.
You might have something here. Kind of like the tv show the masked singer. CU hires an interim HC who only appears wearing Chips outfit. For the rest of the year everyone tries to figure out who the coach is. It would generate some buzz and at least give something about the Buffs to be interested in since nobody will be interested in the football that they play.

I am trying to get my head around what makes this team so bad. Is the talent level really that low on this team? Dorrell has been around football all of his life, he has coached for the long time in the NFL and college. You would think at a minimum he would know how to organize practices and get a team ready to play.

This program is performing badly on an epic level. I know our talent is not at the top of the conference but it cannot be NAIA level.

I saw Dorrell's comments about the problems with rush defense and he was blaming player being in the wrong gaps. Can players really be in the wrong gap every play, not likely.

This is really bad but it is almost like they are trying to be bad. I have seen teams with little talent, I have seen teams that are poorly coached, I have seen teams that play with little passion, but this team takes all of that to a new level. It is almost beyond comprehension that this could happen.

Dorrell is one of the worst offensive coaches in the country. Everywhere he has gone, he has been bad. No, not bad, historically bad. The offense actually has some talent.

The defense has a talent issue, particularly at edge and linebacker. They have also quit trying, because they know the offense can’t score more than 10 points against an opposing team’s starting defense.

I am trying to get my head around what makes this team so bad. Is the talent level really that low on this team? Dorrell has been around football all of his life, he has coached for the long time in the NFL and college. You would think at a minimum he would know how to organize practices and get a team ready to play.

This program is performing badly on an epic level. I know our talent is not at the top of the conference but it cannot be NAIA level.

I saw Dorrell's comments about the problems with rush defense and he was blaming player being in the wrong gaps. Can players really be in the wrong gap every play, not likely.

This is really bad but it is almost like they are trying to be bad. I have seen teams with little talent, I have seen teams that are poorly coached, I have seen teams that play with little passion, but this team takes all of that to a new level. It is almost beyond comprehension that this could happen.
Adam and Brian put it nicely... Each of those 4th, 5th and 6th year players in the defensive front seven have played far better during their time at CU. This is purely a scheme and coaching issue across the board. However, the biggest problem is that we have a HC with no expertise of any kind in any area other than WRs, and even our WRs have largely been awful.

Seriously, what does Karl Dorrell bring to the table as a Head Coach? Can anyone name a single positive thing?

Adam and Brian put it nicely... Each of those 4th, 5th and 6th year players in the defensive front seven have played far better during their time at CU. This is purely a scheme and coaching issue across the board. However, the biggest problem is that we have a HC with no expertise of any kind in any area other than WRs, and even our WRs have largely been awful.

Seriously, what does Karl Dorrell bring to the table as a Head Coach? Can anyone name a single positive thing?
He's so bad that he doesn't tease us with hope. It allows us to move on with our lives.

His demeanor is very......consistent.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Great questions that should have been asked before hiring.

i think it is a bit of a perfect storm of failing.

the transfer portal clearly caught them off guard. look around at all the guys starting/contributing who would have been the foundation of the team this year. and, of course, recruiting has not been where it needs to be. and, because of our **** NIL efforts and the tough transfer rules for CU, they couldn't get more experienced guys here.

that is the cornerstone of the epic fail.

then, add the fact that they invested so many resources and so much time in b-lew. they got tunnel vision on how he was performing and i am sure he looked a lot better in practice. no offense to the player, but this was a huge **** up-- they were incapable or unwilling of helping him get to the place he needed to be. add in the happy feet of the back up qb. that looks a lot to me like a guy who has been coached so hard not to make a mistake he cannot make a play either. it is like a golfer with the yips.

so, that's another leg of the epic fail.

then, look at how games are playing out. the Buffs come out clearly overmatched but ready to try hard. take away the untimely turnovers (another coaching fail) and yo have a team at least willing to execute a plan to keep them in the game for awhile. then it goes totally off the rails. everyone is screaming about a failure to make half time adjustments and that is certainly a big issue, but i would also suggest the team lacks the experience, conditioning, and depth to keep hangingi in there. simply put, they are physically worn down and wrecked in the 2nd half.

that's a 3rd leg of epic fail.

and, last, while these coaches all have resumes that suggest they know what they are doing, no one in the 3 leadership positions is good at their current job-- hc, dc, oc. in each instance, we have a reputedly solid position coach failing horribly at the management level. vision, scheme, planning, whatever you want to point to, they just aren't good enough. you maybe can get away with a learning period at one of the 3 management roles but all 3 at once and you are ****ed. kd last was a hc in another era. what sorta worked a decade or more ago ain't going to work now.

and, so there you have it. epic fail.

These are undersized, slow, poorly coached players.

1) Recruiting is the lifeblood of the sport. Karl Dorrell does not know how to manage a successful recruiting operation. The AD dismantled the recruiting infrastructure that was moving us in the right direction under Mel Tucker. This is a fireable item IMO.

2) The team’s personnel is not NAIA, but it is not Power 5. It is more comparable to lower level FCS (not up to snuff). They are dreadful compared to the competition.

3) They are trying, but they’re not good enough. The player quality is that disparate. Colorado’s players are, by and large, slower and weaker than their competition.

Last edited:
1) Recruiting is the lifeblood of the sport. Karl Dorrell does not know how to manage a successful recruiting operation. The AD dismantled the recruiting infrastructure that was moving us in the right direction under Mel Tucker. This is a fireable item IMO.

2) The team’s personnel is not NAIA, but it is not Power 5. It is more comparable to lower level FCS (not up to snuff). They are dreadful compared to the competition.

3) They are trying, but they’re not good enough. The player quality is that disparate. Colorado’s players are, by and large, slower and weaker thsn their competition.
Nepotism

These are undersized, slow, poorly coached players.
Especially at LB (Except G Thomas) and safety. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a lack of speed at LB on any team I’ve ever watched play college football. It’s that bad. Landman obviously covered up a lot of LB issues.

our D line gets blown 3 years off the line every run play too which isn’t helping.

Especially at LB (Except G Thomas) and safety. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a lack of speed at LB on any team I’ve ever watched play college football. It’s that bad. Landman obviously covered up a lot of LB issues.

our D line gets blown 3 years off the line every run play too which isn’t helping.
I'm not sure it's a speed issue. They're out of position, not keeping gap integrity and taking bad angles. That will make you look a lot slower than you are. It's not like our issue has been failing to be able to run with a TE on a pass play.

Our talent is poor (nepotism), but this team is playing far below its talent level. This is primarily a coaching/inspiration issue rather than talent issue
There's no reason a front seven full of 5th and 6th year guys should be getting dominated like they have. Maybe their talent was overstated, but the issues on defense go well beyond talent gap.

3) They are trying, but they’re not good enough. The player quality is that disparate. Colorado’s players are, by and large, slower and weaker thsn their competition.
This is something @manhattanbuff and I have been trumpeting from the get go. Combine it with epically bad coaching and this is what you get. Kids are out of position, not taught techniques, are not even close on fundamentals and now are past the point of buying into what they now know is a recipe for disaster.

Not enough talent and a lot of bad coaching gets you exactly what we are watching.

Unfortunately I'm listening to KDs press conference right now. When asked about Owen, the first ****ing thing out of his mouth is how the 2 turnovers really put the defense in a bad spot. Cause you know, we did so well when we pinned them on their own 3.

No wonder B-Lew was scared ****less of turnovers. According to Kardboard, they are the worst thing in the whole ****ing game.

According to Kardboard - Owen is Left handed, which means he isn't right handed.

Pearls of wisdom from the guy who can't figure out what the problem is with this program.

I get that the scheme and coaching are historically bad. But at some point on the field, you're natural instincts as a football player have to take over, no? Don't you say to yourself, "See the guy with the ball, go get him." I mean I've seen defensive players (Barnes, JCS at times) actively running away from the ball carrier. The history of college football is filled with undersized and/or slow players who have excelled on heart alone. We have none of those guys. It's a miracle!

There's no reason a front seven full of 5th and 6th year guys should be getting dominated like they have. Maybe their talent was overstated, but the issues on defense go well beyond talent gap.
We’ve routinely had RBs and receivers run past the defense. The edge is consistently available because the team lacks lateral quickness. These guys are SLOW AF.

Back