1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time tailgater needs some help

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Doug, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Doug

Doug New Member

Hey!

The family and I just moved to Boulder from Atlanta (Georgia fans), and we are going to our first Buffs game this Saturday. I was hoping I could get some insight into the the best way to tailgate at Folsom Field. Here are a couple questions, but any other insight is welcome:

1. Should I park my car at about 8 am somewhere to get a good spot? My oldest daughter is swimming in the morning at Carlson pool right behind the stadium, so this isn't very hard to do. I figured I could preload the car with tailgate supplies and ride our bikes to the game later on.

2. Where to park and or tailgate? Do y'all tailgate at your cars or set up in a quad or grassy area?

3. My kids are really into Ralphie. Is there a chance to see Ralphie before the game?

4. Is there a pregame pep rally or player walk before the game?

5. What time do people start tailgating. Is 10 am good?

Thanks in advance and Go Buffs!

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

As far as parking on campus, here is the map

http://www.colorado.edu/pts/sites/default/files/attached-files/Football%202011%20Parking_0.pdf

1. Public parking is open at 8am so to get a spot closest to Folsom at one of those lots get there around then.

2. Tailgating is kept to either the parking lot or the sidewalk behind your vehicle. They get pissy if you are on the grass sometimes.

3. I don't think ralphie is out before the game. She could be over by the stadium, I have never been in a position to go find her.

4. The band does a "parade" through campus. They stop by the Alumni area and perform and also inside the field house directly adjacent to Folsom.

5. My group will be there at 8am, I don't know how the crowd usually goes to these early games though.

3. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

You should be able to see Ralphie up close and personal in her cage just a few blocks directly south of Folsom Field a couple of hours before gametime

4. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

this

5. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

sackygate.

you're welcome.

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

The cash spots next to the engineering center are bomb. Esepcially the ones next to the business school field

7. Doug

Doug New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to head to the Business Field. That looks perfect.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Awesome directions!

9. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

If you are approached by a guy wearing a really faded purple and white T-shirt full of holes, under Buff gear and carrying a topographic map to show where Ralphie is located, run for the Stadium! He's old and slow!

10. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

New Buff fan Doug? stated you were a dog fan? If you are a tailgater at CU then you have to start drinking early. We call it therapy here - win or lose. Have to go into the field house just before the game. The band playing the fight song in there is awesome as it can be in such an outdated and upgrade needed building. Lots of history in there though.

11. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I'd suggest the Pearl Street Stampede shindig on Friday night, where the team walks and it's a raucous event, but good for kids. They can get autographs (actually free) from the players and usually get a picture with some. Paul Richardson is especially gracious and is mobbed by the kids.

And welcome to the Buffs! I moved to Colorado when my oldest was 6. We became Buff fans a few years later and it became a family tradition, even though both my wife and I graduated from smaller out of state schools and had never lived in Colorado before then.

My daughter is now a freshman and (with a large group of friends) will be at my tailgate every home game, as her older siblings also did. My youngest hopes to attend next year. It's been a great family tradition we built.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  12. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

KUDOS!!!!

Send a copy of this to Rick George, with a suggestion the AD set up a rendezvous tent as a place for parents and their kids who are attending CU, to meet up pre-game.

Several families from our neighborhood have been seen attending pre-game festivities, even though mom and dad are OOS college grads. There's no family atmosphere like a college football game. You can have (and keep) all the drunks and low-lifes who come with the "Bronco-Experience"......give me Boulder on game day any time!

But we do need beer in Folsom!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  13. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

There is some weird construction in the business school's parking lot right now. With the weather I'm not sure it will be completed.

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The B-school parking lot is, I think, a permit only lot. You can park across the street next to the CEC or in the garage and set up a tailgate in the B-school field, though.

I know this year is going to suck for our regular spot, but I'm cautiously optmistic about what we'll have next year.

15. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

for seeing ralphie, she starts hanging out in her pen about 15 minutes before kick-off. Its located in the north east corner of the field. There's always lots of kids hanging around.

16. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

Another option for tailgating is along Colorado Ave/Folsom St just east of the stadium. There are several churches/businesses that have grassy areas that allow parking. I think Buffarino does/did tailgate there.

I assume those places are still available these days?

17. sockdolager

sockdolager Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

El Gringo likes this.