What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Folsom Field Expansion (Theorectically)

BUffsNation

Newest Tool
Let us say for the next 5 years CU is ranked in the top 10 and the fan base is nuts, donations poor in, maybe even a national title, and we need to add some seats...

What and where could we do this?

I know one thing would be to undo the new seating that was a result of the new athletic facility. But that was like what 1000 seats we lost? But could we put in a 3rd deck in the south between the field house and the suites ? Could we demo the field house and press box, move the press box to the suites (temporarily) And make the new deck go from the suites all the way around to the NW end zone? But the MCDB and student rec center are in the way? Unless there can be some very clever engineering done here?

I think the only option would be the new deck over Colorado Ave. So we can maybe add some where around 10k seats and that is it ?

I am just dreaming of course. But curious on what you all think

I wasn't able to read all of the words (Giddiness), but out of curiosity, what is your net worth (Theoretically)?

ETA: I'm off to bed (temporarily), but let'$ chat soon

Would have to do something with the student rec center (which I think was just renovated?) and the MCDB building though. Unless again there can be some very clever engineering and build it above without having to demo them. But that would likely cost more than saving them.

Edit* Can't figure out how to post google map image of Folsom here.

embed

Last edited:
we dont need to increase the seating we just need to continue to update folsom....balch needs to come down....maybe some individual seats etc

CU was ranked for 7 years in a row and never sold out every game. I think expansion would be a really terrible idea. BUT if we were to do it, it should be done by getting rid of Balch and building something back there.

Colorado's population is a lot greater now than it was then though.
I think if CU could be a consistently ranked team we could really build the fan base like never before.

I'd rather focus on adding comfort. Stadium seats would be nice but they eat up space. So, in order to convert to stadium seats like Mile High or Coors Field we'd have to increase the seating area size by 10% to 15%. We need to do a lot of "comfort" upgrades such as modern restrooms, better concessions, etc. so, rather than adding numbers, I'd prefer we add comfort and quality.

I'd rather focus on adding comfort. Stadium seats would be nice but they eat up space. So, in order to convert to stadium seats like Mile High or Coors Field we'd have to increase the seating area size by 10% to 15%. We need to do a lot of "comfort" upgrades such as modern restrooms, better concessions, etc. so, rather than adding numbers, I'd prefer we add comfort and quality.

This. I posted it a few weeks ago but bathrooms are absolutely #1. Then amenities like speakers, TV's and concessions are next. But balch has GOT to go! Demolish it or renovate it and the press suites, whatever they think would be best. I just really really wish if they're going to pack you in balch they need to add glass windows on the field side or an upper level that has a balcony out over the field. Sucks being punished for wanting a beer.

Reactions: SBG
I would be hesitant adding any new levels or decks to the stadium. Learn from the Colorado Rockies when they built Coors. The right field third deck was never apart of the initial plans but because of the hype in the expansion years the rushed to add it on. Those seats hardly were listed for sale and not until they demoed the seats for the bar did that area become profitable.

I don't think Folsom needs to grow in capacity. It need updating of ammenities like many suggest.

Last edited:
West side. Tear down Balch, extend the 2nd deck all the way to the northwest side and add new press box. Angle the seats in the northwest side where opposing fans sit like they did to the northeast side. Not sure how feasible that is, but its what I'd like to see done.

I would be hesitant adding any new levels or decks to the stadium. Learn from the Colorado Rockies when they built Coors. The right field third deck was never apart of the initial plans but because of the hype in the expansion years the rushed to add it on. Those seats hardly were listed for sale and not until they demoed the seats for the bar did that area become profitable. And It stole the Longs Peak view from the stadium, which would have been sweet.

I don't think Folsom needs to grow in capacity. It need updating of ammenities like many suggest.
You had me right up until the Longs Peak view. The right field third deck is on the North East side of the stadium - how in the world did it block a view of Longs Peak?

Adding 10k seats means expanding the south end zone seating and losing any views of flat irons from anywhere in the stadium.

Renovating the west side is next on the list But they haven't even initiated a planning process there.

Likely we would see improved media amenities, expanded upscale club level, preservation of the Flatiron Club and some expanded seating.

I think there may be room to expand towards Colorado Blvd with a flat (standing room only) area -like the roof top. Could provide concessions and additional standing room seats while still preserving iconic Flatirons views

No reason to expand. Curl the northwest stands in to make it more of a bowl, then tear down Balch and build something like the oracle suites at Levi's stadium but the bottom level should he an open area or fan amenities, might need to make it two levels considering how packed Balch gets now.

Modern amenities like bathrooms (gasp), new audio, and fix rusting bleachers, cracked concrete etc should be next priority.
Then a new West side press box, club, and beer garden/concessions service area. I would hope PAC would help with some of the cost of Press box but maybe not?
I guess having some kind of restaurant / pub or whatever on South side that RG mentioned once isn't happening.

Yea
You had me right up until the Longs Peak view. The right field third deck is on the North East side of the stadium - how in the world did it block a view of Longs Peak?

Yeah you are right damnit

I think that creating a bowl in the NW end zone and wrapping a 200 level around the west side with a Balch renovation can give us 60k in seating even with losing some seats by putting chairbacks into the lower bowl.

I like the idea of enclosing the North end zone. Basically take the NE side and continue it all the way over to the NW side. I also like the idea of a 60,000 seat capacity. Yes, we've struggled with filling it, but I expect we will see a lot of sellouts in the next few years.
Lastly, for fu*k sake, what the Hell do we care about the view for? It's a football game. Look at the mountains during the tailgate.

I know we've talked about this before, but the historical preservationists would fight tearing down Balch.

While I like the idea of somehow adding a 200 level to the west side and renovating Balch and the pressbox in the process to allow it, I doubt we see it anytime soon. The current stadium would have to be regularly and consecutively sold out for several seasons for that to even be considered.

I know we've talked about this before, but the historical preservationists would fight tearing down Balch.

I'm not sure they would. It's not a state landmark or anything. There's nothing celebrated about Balch. There's nothing about it's architecture that is in any way nice or respected. It's just an old building that was never nice and is decades past its expiration date to still be standing.

I'm not sure they would. It's not a state landmark or anything. There's nothing celebrated about Balch. There's nothing about it's architecture that is in any way nice or respected. It's just an old building that was never nice and is decades past its expiration date to still be standing.
I agree. But there might be a push from some to preserve it. And it could be done correctly to keep the exterior appearance and modernize the interior. But just an opinion. I'll be 75 or 80 before any of that happens. Haha.

I don't think there would be a lot of opposition to tearing down Balch as long as the replacement plans honored the architectural norms of the stadium and the campus. Do it in flagstone, keep the lines reasonably consistent with the surrounding campus buildings. You could do a modern press box and add 5-10 thousand seats doing this.

I agree that the market has expanded and that sell-outs are more likely in the future with a quality product on the field. With that though expanding to much could end up costing more than it gains.

When you consistently have unused seats it takes away the urgency to purchase. Fans take the attitude that they don't have to worry because they can simpy "buy seats." For less desirable games you are forced to discount seats which then cheapens the value of other tickets.

When you instead are more frequently selling out then fans start to worry about getting a decent ticket. They are more likely to purchase season tickets to have the good games meaning you also sell seats to the less desirable games. The need to discount and promote goes down meaning that not only do you sell more seats but the per seat revenue goes up.

Back