What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future PAC-12 conference shedule

I like the DePaul idea and would consider arranging a trip to Chicago for that one. My only road game with CU was to Denver many years ago.

The other change with the new schedule is that we will have 18 conference games in the PAC 12 vs. the 16 we had in the Big 12.

DePaul is an awful program right now. Public League (inner-city high schools in Chicago) coaches are "boycotting" DePaul in recruiting because they weren't involved in the hiring process for the new coach. They play in a barn way outside of the city, and they have no profile in the region. They're essentially a forgotten mess of a program. Stay away.

If you're desperate to get attention in Chicago, then call the U of I and get a holiday showcase game going for the United Center. They've done it before, and much more people pay attention to the Illini than the forgettable Blue Demons. It would make for an interesting showcase December matchup, and (a definite plus) give me something to do when I'm home for Christmas.

DePaul was just an example. They are in a good recruiting area and play in a top conference. My point was to schedule more games against teams from the big 6 conferences and the better mid-major conferences such as the MWC, C-USA, and A-10.

But on the subject of DePaul, why do the area high school coaches feel they should had a say in who DePaul hires as their head coach? I was surprised he left Clemson for that job, and he left there in a quick and hasty way.

the previous DePaul coach, Jerry Wainright, had success everywhere else he coached. he had the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 USC team with Sam Clancy, Trepanier, and Scalabrini on the ropes in the 2nd round of the NCAA when he was at UNC-Wilmington, beat Kansas at AFH when at Richmond and then stunk at DePaul. Wainright is a Colorado College grad.

seems like maybe DePaul is overmatched badly in the Big East. they should have stayed in C-USA.

so, not DePaul....schedule Northwestern. make a Chicago trip. package it with a football home-home.

the previous DePaul coach, Jerry Wainright, had success everywhere else he coached. he had the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 USC team with Sam Clancy, Trepanier, and Scalabrini on the ropes in the 2nd round of the NCAA when he was at UNC-Wilmington, beat Kansas at AFH when at Richmond and then stunk at DePaul. Wainright is a Colorado College grad.

seems like maybe DePaul is overmatched badly in the Big East. they should have stayed in C-USA.

so, not DePaul....schedule Northwestern. make a Chicago trip. package it with a football home-home.

Yea, DePaul has not fared well in the Big East so far. I thought they had more of a tradition and had won a national title but just checked and that's not the case. They have 2 Final 4 appearances and one of those was way back in the 40's. They had a run of making the tournament in all but 3 years from 1976-1992, but they also had a number of NCAA infractions in the late 80's.

...even if Burks comes back, we are NOT a favorite by any means to win the conference next year. I think this is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Cain should be good, but he was not an All-American type that we should expect immediate impact from. Dinwiddie - don't know...hopefully he earns some playing time, which I think he will. They will both be freshmen - it is rare that a freshman makes a huge impact, and they tend to be your All-Americans. We are losing a great player in Higgins and a solid starter in Relphorde. I do not understand why a lot of you think we're improved next year. Because of Harris Tunks being a force inside? Are you expecting an improved Burks if he stays? I'm skeptical of both.

UW, UA, and UCLA will be good with Arizona potentially being great. Sean Miller is a good coach, and their recruiting (watch out for Josiah Turner and Angelo Chol) is great as mentioned by others. Turner is a potential one-two year player, and Chol is highly rated. I think Chol is great and underrated. UCLA should be vastly improved next year too, especially if Malcom Lee stays. I think Oregon really will become good - Altman signed his star recruit, and Altman is one of the best in the business.

Pac 10 will eventually be better than the Big 12 in basketball. We need to keep improving in order to be competitive, because the rest of these squads will keep improving.

UA's worst recruit right now is a 4*.

They're the team to beat for the next few years, and it's not even close...

UA's worst recruit right now is a 4*.

They're the team to beat for the next few years, and it's not even close...

I don't think you can say that it's not even close. UCLA returns pretty much everyone and they're also one of the few programs in the nation that can recruit a Final Four team with a single class.

What Tad's doing is what has worked so well at Texas A&M. If we can bang, have a lot of athleticism, and can wear teams out... then we can win our fair share against the finesse teams that UofA and UCLA routinely put on the court even if they do have a lot more NBA talent on their rosters.

Especially in the regular season. The NCAA tourney favors finesse with the quick whistles, but the regular season favors a more aggressive style.

I don't think you can say that it's not even close. UCLA returns pretty much everyone and they're also one of the few programs in the nation that can recruit a Final Four team with a single class.

What Tad's doing is what has worked so well at Texas A&M. If we can bang, have a lot of athleticism, and can wear teams out... then we can win our fair share against the finesse teams that UofA and UCLA routinely put on the court even if they do have a lot more NBA talent on their rosters.

Especially in the regular season. The NCAA tourney favors finesse with the quick whistles, but the regular season favors a more aggressive style.

..****...there goes the response I had. Anyway, I agree with DesertDawg on this one. UA is doing great on the recruiting trail - check out who they've signed, and they are looking real strong in 2013 too. UCLA signed one guy (a little due to limited schollies), and although their heritage and Howland's success makes them a threat in recruiting, the plain truth is that they have not recently been a huge player. Josh Smith is the only real battle I can recall them winning, and even then he was very West Coast biased.

I'm also not sure on your finesse points, although I completely understand where you're coming from - Big 12 is much more physical than the PAC10. However, the Pac10 is not pushovers, and their great teams have been physical. You have to be in order to succeed nationally, and this would bring me to your point about NCAA and regular season. Yes, the Big 12 and Big East regular season games at times are much more physical than the NCAA tournament, but I wouldn't say that finesse is favored in the NCAA. I think it's necessary to have a solid inside presence to make some real noise. You might find some S16 or even E8 teams that were all finesse, but there are very few FF teams that get there on "finesse". Izzo's teams are rarely finesse, or any Big 10 team while we're at it. Big East teams can often be a combination, but still, definitely not finesse.

Boyle's model is a good one to follow, but I don't think we're beating UA or UCLA consistently in the next few years. UA is adding beef up front in 2013. Someone else said that they're glad they don't see a KU annual 2 losses...UA may end up being that soon. I think soon, the Pac12 will be stronger than the Big 12 in bball.

UA is nothing like KU. Sorry. The comparison doesn't work for me. True, they may have some great talent coming in, but they are not the consistent top 5 team that KU is. CU has been competitive in every game they've played in the Big 12 this year - save for the game at KU. I think with Burks on this team next year, CU would have to be one of 3-4 teams with a legit shot at winning the conference.

UA is nothing like KU. Sorry. The comparison doesn't work for me. True, they may have some great talent coming in, but they are not the consistent top 5 team that KU is. CU has been competitive in every game they've played in the Big 12 this year - save for the game at KU. I think with Burks on this team next year, CU would have to be one of 3-4 teams with a legit shot at winning the conference.

We'd be a darkhorse, though. Arizona would be the obvious favorite. UCLA and Washington would be in the next group. CU would be talked about in a group with Washington State and a couple talented teams that have drastically underachieved this year (ASU and Cal).

I'm not sure anyone is comparing Arizona to Kansas. I'm sure most would give the nod to Kansas over Arizona for historical strength. And right now.

Of the current Pac-10 and BigXII teams, UCLA and Kansas are the top 2 (traditional) programs overall hands down. #3 would be Arizona IMO. I don't see any team outside of Kansas right now in the BigXII with a better traditional basketball history. You just don't go to 23 consecutive (or whatever their number was) NCAA tourneys without being a very strong program. If you don't view Arizona as a traditional power then you haven't paid any attention to the Pac.

Some could argue that Derrick Williams (#23 Arizona) is the best player right now in the Pac or Big XII, or at least one with the best NBA potential. He's a sophomore. There is not a program in either the Pac or BigXII that is recruiting better than Arizona right now. Arizona has been a sleeping giant since Lute Olson left, and it looks like they are re-awakening.

Having said all of that, the Pac does not currently have the depth of the BigXII. CU could certainly become a top 4 team in the Pac-12. I just don't see CU winning the conference title next year. And right now, Arizona is putting distance between itself and everyone else. It would not be surprising at all to see them in a Final Four or with another national title in the next 2-3 years.

Arizona's basketball program is unique in its conference - much like Kansas in the Big XII - in terms of passion for the program in its city. I lived in Tucson for a year, and there is really no other game in town during basketball season. Every game sells out, students camp out, and the players and coaches are local celebrities. As long is this is the case, and there is no reason to believe it will not be, the Wildcats will recruit better than any team in the conference.

Having said all of that, the Pac does not currently have the depth of the BigXII. CU could certainly become a top 4 team in the Pac-12. I just don't see CU winning the conference title next year. And right now, Arizona is putting distance between itself and everyone else. It would not be surprising at all to see them in a Final Four or with another national title in the next 2-3 years.

Correct. CU is a longshot to win the Pac-12 next season. Not to say we cannot be very competitive right away, but let's not get carried away here.

I never said we'd be favorites to win it all, just that we'd have to be considered one of a group of 3-4 teams that the eventual champ would likely be from. This is dependent on Burks staying. I'm not getting carried away, just saying that CU has played remarkably well in a very strong and deep conference this year. The Pac isn't a murderers row like the Big 12 is.

agree with sackman. With Burks staying we have to be considered the upper tier of teams in the PAC-12. Arizona likely wins the conference. I see us making the semifinals or the championship game in LA next march. If Burks doesnt stay then... I guess we will see just how good Boyle can coach.

I never said we'd be favorites to win it all, just that we'd have to be considered one of a group of 3-4 teams that the eventual champ would likely be from. This is dependent on Burks staying. I'm not getting carried away, just saying that CU has played remarkably well in a very strong and deep conference this year. The Pac isn't a murderers row like the Big 12 is.

Remarkably well? For a team to be championship caliber, there needs to be a killer instinct. We do not have that and have not had it for a while.

We are playing our best basketball in several seasons (not necessarily saying much), but tap the breaks a bit.

Remarkably well? For a team to be championship caliber, there needs to be a killer instinct. We do not have that and have not had it for a while.

We are playing our best basketball in several seasons (not necessarily saying much), but tap the breaks a bit.

Against A&M and KU at home, and Baylor on the road, we lacked the killer instinct. Against Mizzou, OSU and KSU (x2) we did have the killer instinct. I chalk that up to playing in a very tough conference where every team can beat every other team.

...sorry sackman, but no. The Big 12 this year is not a murderer's row. There are two good teams, KU and UT, with one of them being potentially great (I still think KU sucks, but I'm probably very biased). The Big 12 is better than the Pac10 this year, and will probably be next year too. However, I think you're selling the Pac10 quite a bit short. Sure, we could be in the top half of the Pac12 next season, but top 3-4? I think that's way too optimistic.

...sorry sackman, but no. The Big 12 this year is not a murderer's row. There are two good teams, KU and UT, with one of them being potentially great (I still think KU sucks, but I'm probably very biased). The Big 12 is better than the Pac10 this year, and will probably be next year too. However, I think you're selling the Pac10 quite a bit short. Sure, we could be in the top half of the Pac12 next season, but top 3-4? I think that's way too optimistic.

Do the events of today change your mind at all? The Big 12 is most certainly a murderers row. Every team can beat every other team.

And I'll stick to what I said, CU - with Burks - is a top 3-4 team in the Pac next year. Hell, there's a chance CU could finish as high as 4th in the Big 12, and the Pac 12 isn't as good as the Big 12. It just isn't. Boyle is the real deal, and CU will have the talent to make a lot of noise in a league that is simply not as deep or as talented as the one we're currently in.

There's no reason the Buffs shouldn't be competitive next year, regardless of the losses. The Pac-12 is in a major slump right now. The Buffs are obviously going to be in serious rebuilding mode, but many Pac-12 teams are in far worse shape than we will be.

Terrible: Utah (13-15) , Oregon State (10-17) , Arizona State (10-18), Oregon (14-14).
Mediocre: Stanford (14-14) , Cal (16-13), USC (17-12), Wazzu (17-10).
Decent: UCLA (21-8), Washington (19-8)
Top 25: Arizona (23-6).

I hate to see our new conference struggle like this, but it sets up nicely for the Buffs to come in and compete right away despite a major reloading campaign. The Pac10 is struggling so much this year that UCLA only likely sealed their tournament bid today by getting to 12-4 in the conference.

I took a look at the Pac-12 schedule, I couldn't believe my eyes how easy it is compared to this year's schedule.

We should be 5-1 against the Mountain schools with the lone loss being in Tucson. Anyone want to argue about UA...just look at their loss in Corvallis to the very same team we trashed. We should sweep Utah and ASU next season.

We should sweep the Northwest schools since we play both Oregon schools round robin and the Washington schools visit Boulder for their lone matchup against the Buffs. That's 6-0 for ya.

The real key will be how CU does against the California schools. I think the Buffs could sweep at home but I think the Buffs could split the road games at best so going 3-3 or even 4-2 would be considered successful.

Adding these numbers up, we should have a serious shot at winning the Pac-12 next season due to the very favorable schedule similar to what Utah got in football. The record that I could see us at best is 15-3 in the Pac-12. if we had that record in the Pac-10 this year, we would win that league since UCLA and UA have four losses in Pac-10 play so far.

There is a reason why I'm jumping off the football bandwagon onto the basketball bandwagon.

15-3 in conference play would be insane. With that kind of record we should go undefeated at home. The students would definitely get into if that was the situation.

I took a look at the Pac-12 schedule, I couldn't believe my eyes how easy it is compared to this year's schedule.

We should be 5-1 against the Mountain schools with the lone loss being in Tucson. Anyone want to argue about UA...just look at their loss in Corvallis to the very same team we trashed. We should sweep Utah and ASU next season.

We should sweep the Northwest schools since we play both Oregon schools round robin and the Washington schools visit Boulder for their lone matchup against the Buffs. That's 6-0 for ya.

The real key will be how CU does against the California schools. I think the Buffs could sweep at home but I think the Buffs could split the road games at best so going 3-3 or even 4-2 would be considered successful.

Adding these numbers up, we should have a serious shot at winning the Pac-12 next season due to the very favorable schedule similar to what Utah got in football. The record that I could see us at best is 15-3 in the Pac-12. if we had that record in the Pac-10 this year, we would win that league since UCLA and UA have four losses in Pac-10 play so far.

There is a reason why I'm jumping off the football bandwagon onto the basketball bandwagon.

I think that is very possible. You have to keep in mind we will likely not show up to a game or two and lose those, but still on a consistant basis, I dont see any of the PAC schools being heavily favored over us next year. A top 3 finish is definatly possible and reachable.

I think it's way too early to make these types of predictions.

If Alec doesn't come back, this will be a very difficult team to have a decent pre-season read on. Two of the biggest keys to the season, Carlon Brown and Shane Harris-Tunks, didn't play this year. On paper, though, I like our frontcourt a lot better in 2011-12.

It's all dependent on whether Burks comes back or not. If he comes back, we have a shot. If he doesn't, it'll be tough.

Back