What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD - Colorado at Cal 5pm MT (P12N)

Ok, but that has nothing to do with Jay Mac and accusations that he’s purposely dogging it and not catching passes because he’s made about his dad. Calling somebody’s ingetrity and character out like that is a pretty serious claim, especially when it’s a kid like Jay who has been a great player for CU.
You are right, it's frustration for us too. I looked at JMac like I did Scotty McKnight. Then I read Ann Henry. I also was one of the only ones unimpressed by his tribute to his dad this week, then the MM all over today, then the perceived lack of effort.. Changed my opinion. Made it easy to mob mentality jump on this. In the end though you are right, it shouldn't be the judge of his character, it's just what I want to believe right now. It's wrong, and I'll get over it. Maybe.

Oh!! Even more interesting on Montez interview: “I really hope they keep Coach Roper (as part of new coaching staff).”

No mention of Chev.
That seems to be the theme--no players (that I know of) have gone out of their way to praise and/or stick up for Chiaverini (or Eliot for that matter).

The common denominator for sucky offense since Lindgren left is Chiv. He’s a good recruiter but the offense is a hot, uninspired **** show. Fire all of them, now!

MM turned us into a higher quality G5 team, which was an improvement, but still nowhere near good enough. There is some serious talent in places (thanks in large part to Chev) but there’s still so little depth and we are so weak in a lot of the areas that really matter. The team could give a heck of a fight to a lot of teams in the nation, but ultimately there’s just not enough talent, speed, size, etc to get them over the hump playing almost exclusively a P5 schedule, which is how you could define most good G5 teams.

Frustrating season but I’m glad it’s over and I’m hopeful that we can recruit a ton more like 2017 (and better) than what MM did the rest of the time here. No more classes in the ****ing 60s and 70s.

Actually outside of the OL, TE, and RB (now that McMillan is leaving) we have P5 talent, at least as starters. We have some other areas where our depth is almost non-existent but this is a team that for the most part can line up against most P5 teams.

The OL situation kills us though. With a decent OL McMilan could have had a much bigger year, he is a talented guy. We almost abandoned any passing attack that required time to develop because Montez just wasn't getting it. By the end of the year he had the look of a QB who had been under constant pressure and taken too many hard hits.

We had a lot of complaining about our DBs but looking at other P5 teams we were still at least as good as most of the mid-level teams at DB. We got spoiled by having a bunch of high draft choices in years past but these guy while not outstanding were at least decent, and that with Miller basically out all year and Abrams missing multiple games and playing some hurt.

Why though can't we figure out special teams. Blackman isn't a punt returner, he doesn't have sufficient ball security. period. His potential to break one is not sufficient to compensate for his inability to cleanly secure the ball. A head coach with a functioning brain would have made the switch after the first couple bad games.

What will we do without the read option 4 times a drive? Honestly our playcalling was awful down the stretch, cal game included. Plane Jane awful scheme and guys like Montez are allowed to do whatever the hell they want. The discipline in this game was atrocious. We need to find somebody who will coach these guys hard. I can’t take any more of Montez’s terrible mechanics, throwing the ball off his back foot amongst hundreds of other things.

What will we do without the read option 4 times a drive? Honestly our playcalling was awful down the stretch, cal game included. Plane Jane awful scheme and guys like Montez are allowed to do whatever the hell they want. The discipline in this game was atrocious. We need to find somebody who will coach these guys hard. I can’t take any more of Montez’s terrible mechanics, throwing the ball off his back foot amongst hundreds of other things.

I actually think that Montez could have called a better game on his own. The kids has really added a lot of knowledge and is obviously paying attention to it. I think he made a few audibles on his own and each one was effective.

bet you weren't thinking that 6 weeks ago

I’ve been largely critical of Montez. Way more than a lot of sunshine pumpers here talking about him being a 1st round draft pick. It’s comical to think of him as anything other than a udfa and won’t make it anywhere close to the league unless he grows the f up in a hurry.

The effort today with it all on the line was pathetic. He deep sixes everybody’s season almost by himself.

Last edited:
First, Beau Baldwin needs to go. Want him? I wouldn’t suggest it. I like you guys. We seriously need to recruit better talent on offense and this staff has not been able to do that at all. Hopefully, we can get a competent big time OC and convince some kids to come to Berkeley with the combo of early PT and an amazing defense.

Defense travels well though, especially yours, although your D-Line does not seem to generate an incredible amount of pressure. Your LB's and DB's are really well coached and scheme the heck out of each play. Seems like you may as well focus on being a simple running team first, and then use a dual threat QB to make a few throws per game.

Someone better address the discipline problems on this team. I'm so sick of Wigley costing us yards, standing stiff-legged and pawing and gesticulating at his crotch every time he gets a lick on a guy. Lewis is almost as bad.

I actually think that Montez could have called a better game on his own. The kids has really added a lot of knowledge and is obviously paying attention to it. I think he made a few audibles on his own and each one was effective.
He’s frustrating for me. He makes a ton of horrible decisions on where to go with the ball, especially for a junior. Then, he’ll make a great read, like the TD pass to Nixon. I just expect him to be better with those decisions. Too often he throws into coverage and too often he shows a complete lack of awareness in the pocket, rolling out of it when he doesn’t need to. He just doesn’t seem to be progressing like you’d expect an upperclassman should.

IMO Chev's obvious recruiting chops got mentally transformed by many in Buff Land up to a level of OC prowess that he doesn't yet have. Hope he does the work in FCS or G5 to re-boot. I think he gets a WR coaching gig in G5 and continues to be a successful recruiter. Best of luck to him.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with Jay Mac and accusations that he’s purposely dogging it and not catching passes because he’s made about his dad. Calling somebody’s ingetrity and character out like that is a pretty serious claim, especially when it’s a kid like Jay who has been a great player for CU.
Calling him a "great player" for CU is a little much I think. He had some great moments but he has been an average player for his career. And his attitude today, and all week really, has been quite a bit short of all about the team.

Tough situation for him certainly, but are you about your dad or about your team?

Oh. U$C has our same problem now. 5-7 no bowl. And maybe looking for a new coach. Haaaa!!!

Though, would have been the perfect year to beat them.

Calling him a "great player" for CU is a little much I think. He had some great moments but he has been an average player for his career. And his attitude today, and all week really, has been quite a bit short of all about the team.

Tough situation for him certainly, but are you about your dad or about your team?
I agree. Not a great player. Punched above his weight more often than not but his career here will not be memorable.

YeZpij.gif

Did we win?

I agree. Thankful for the great efforts he gave during his career here. That said, he didn't want to be out there tonight and it showed.
And yet the coaches still had him out there. You'd think the coaches maybe would have given other guys a shot, but this is the CU coaching staff we're talking about.

He’s frustrating for me. He makes a ton of horrible decisions on where to go with the ball, especially for a junior. Then, he’ll make a great read, like the TD pass to Nixon. I just expect him to be better with those decisions. Too often he throws into coverage and too often he shows a complete lack of awareness in the pocket, rolling out of it when he doesn’t need to. He just doesn’t seem to be progressing like you’d expect an upperclassman should.
Could it be that the design of our plays is absolute trash as well? I have a hard time figuring out if our routes are designed to actually get anyone open or if they're just routes.

Could it be that the design of our plays is absolute trash as well? I have a hard time figuring out if our routes are designed to actually get anyone open or if they're just routes.
Good question. When other team’s QB scrambles, they find WRs running free for big plays. When Montez scrambles it’s like our WRs just stop or disappear completely. It’s like they have no plan whatsoever for a scrambling QB.

we're winning at life, man. don't worry!
Oh, ****. We didn't get annexed by Nebraska while I was out, did we?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Back