What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #24 WOMEN'S BBall visiting Cal (Friday, 1/20/23, 12:30 PM MT; Pac 12 Networks) & #4 Stanford (Sunday, 3:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Networks)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Women's basketball (14-3 overall, 5-1 in conference play) heads to the Bay Area hoping to extend its 7 game winning streak (which includes a forfeit win over ASU) as they face off against the Cal Golden Bears (10-7, 1-5) early Friday, followed up with a Sunday matinee against the #4 Stanford Cardinal (17-2, 5-1).

In the latest NET rankings available for the season (dated 1/15), the Buffs are at #21, while Cal is #77 and Stanford #4.

Both games are slotted for the Pac 12 Networks. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview(s) not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on these upcoming opponents:

Cal:
Roster
- https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster?path=wbball
Stats - https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/?path=wbball
Schedule - https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule?path=wbball
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.

Stanford:
Roster
- https://gostanford.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://gostanford.com/documents/2023/1/15/2022-23_Stanford_Women_s_Basketball_Combined_Stats.pdf
Schedule - https://gostanford.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Vs. Cal:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Bay Area channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/01/20/colorado-california .

Live Stats -
Live audio - In addition to (if like in past seasons) being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2759&type=Live .

Games notes - Not available as I type this.

Vs. Stanford:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 Mountain and Bay Area channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/01/22/colorado-stanford .

Link to link to live stats - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=433310

Live audio - In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2760&type=Live .

Games notes - Not available as I type this.

While I happy we are finally ranked, I think it's too low. We handily beat both Utah and Arizona. Arizona then lost to Utah by 1 point. So they lost both games last weekend. Why didn't they drop farther?

I do know the team has it's work cut out for it this weekend. Stanford got beat last weekend and they will be looking to not lose again. We better beat Cal.

Split each road trip, win each home game and earn a #5/6 seed for the NCAA Tourney. That is my hope for the rest of the season.

Preview for this weekend -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/19/womens-basketball-no-24-buffs-head-to-the-bay.aspx

"
BERKELEY – The newly minted No. 24 Colorado Buffaloes take to the road again this weekend, making the voyage to California and No. 4/3 Stanford.

Colorado (14-3, 5-1 Pac-12) jumped into the Associated Press' top 25 after beating its second consecutive top-15 opponent in then No. 14 Arizona last Friday. CU's appearance in the rankings marks its first time since Jan. 17, 2022. CU's appearance in the rankings in back-to-back seasons marks the first time since the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

"The last week was huge for us to beat No. 8 [Utah] and then No. 14 [Arizona]," head coach JR Payne stated. "It was just a cool opportunity to have two top 15 teams in a row at a time that we feel like we're playing really good basketball. We expected to win both those games, not because we don't respect our opponent but because we feel pretty good about how we're playing."

CU got some unexpected time off after Friday's win. The Buffs were set to play Arizona State as scheduled on Sunday, but the Sun Devils were unable to play. Instead of a quick turnaround that is accustomed to the Pac-12 schedule, the Buffs took Saturday off and practiced on Sunday as the beneficiaries of an ASU forfeit.

Both Cal (10-7, 1-5 Pac-12) and Stanford (17-2, 5-1 Pac-12) were on the road last weekend for a pair of games at UCLA and Southern California. CU's two opponents this weekend are on the opposite end of the Pac-12 standings, but both offer the same kind of threat.

"I think most of us that have been in this league long enough that every team in this conference is dangerous," Payne explained. "I honestly think that Cal is one of the most dangerous teams in the league. They've been so close [to winning]. They were in a two-point game against Stanford with a minute to go. They led UCLA down to the wire. I think both teams will be tough, but when you play great teams every night in this league, you feel prepared for anybody."
One key to the Buffs' success this season, especially these past two games, is the team's ability to produce from multiple spots on the floor. Four players are averaging more than 10 points again in the last two contests, led by junior Frida Formann's 21.5 points per game. She posted 20 points in CU's win over Utah and then hit a new season-high with 23 points against Arizona. Aaronette Vonleh (13.5) Quay Miller (12.5) and Jaylyn Sherrod (11.5) have all played large roles of late.

"We had a great year last year, but I think we're a better team this year because of our balance," Payne noted. "We have a couple of important seniors that have played a lot of minutes. Jaylyn and Quay have played a lot of important minutes. Frida is leading us in scoring in the last few games. It's just an unselfish group, and no one cares who scored or gets the glory. They just want to win."

Nobody can argue with the results. CU's 5-1 start to Pac-12 play has the team tied for the top seed in the conference. It is also the team's best six-game start since joining the Pac-12 in 2011-12. CU's last 5-1 conference start was back in the 2003-04 season as a member of the Big 12.

"We feel like no matter whom we play, we're the same Colorado," Payne added. "We're tough. We're physical. We're aggressive. We never wilt. I think they [the team] feel like that is something that can travel. That can stand up against anybody. Whether you go 10-for-10 from 3 or 0-for-10, those are the types of things that will keep us in games."

Friday's game is set for a 12:30 p.m. MT tip at Haas Pavilion. Sunday's game at Stanford will get underway at 3 p.m. MT. Both contests will be on the Pac-12 and the Colorado Radio Networks. Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will be on the air with pregame 30 minutes before tip.
"

Weird seeing Peanut T in the box score for Cal after rooting for her the last 4 years. Grad move was good for her education wise and she gets to play in front of her mom more. Wish her the best except when her team is playing the Buffs.

Weird seeing Peanut T in the box score for Cal after rooting for her the last 4 years. Grad move was good for her education wise and she gets to play in front of her mom more. Wish her the best except when her team is playing the Buffs.
I liked her. She was willing to do what it took to make a difference and didn't mind mixing it up a bit with opponents. Glad she's getting free grad school at Berkeley

Pretty sloppy 3rd, and a buzzer beater by cal to end it. Just gotta focus up and reduce the turnovers (also have no idea what happened with that skirmish, should've been techs on Cal)

Was really tight there for a bit with the Buffs falling behind. They now are up by 8 with less than 2 minutes to go.

Also, I hate the refs for WBB every year. I know they probably have less experience than the ones assigned to men's games, but it's just so bad and inconsistent, even more than men's games.

Was really tight there for a bit with the Buffs falling behind. They now are up by 8 with less than 2 minutes to go.
One thing that has definitely improved and has been really good of late, closing out games. This one got a little close, but mostly because Cal was lights out from 3 to cut the deficit. On to Furd!

I think I saw this correctly:

Last minute, Cal takes a 3, and while the ball is in the air, a Buff, who had been moving, crashed into a different Cal player. The replay shows the ref raise her arm signaling the foul, as the ball is in flight. Originally they put up the 3 points, then take them off and Cal gets 2 free throws.
Strange

Last minute, Cal takes a 3, and while the ball is in the air, a Buff, who had been moving, crashed into a different Cal player. The replay shows the ref raise her arm signaling the foul, as the ball is in flight. Originally they put up the 3 points, then take them off and Cal gets 2 free throws.
Strange
They determined the foul occurred before the shot motion started

Media after today's road win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/20/...do-battles-late-defeats-california-73-66.aspx

"
BERKELEY – Colorado's Quay Miller put in a career-high 26 points to help the Buffaloes pick up their seventh consecutive win on Friday. The Buffs overcame a 3-point fourth-quarter deficit on their way to the 73-66 win at Haas Pavilion.

"I think that my scoring came from my energy—everyone's energy to be honest," Miller said of her career day. "We tend to find the person with the hot and a lot. It comes naturally. It's not like we're trying to force it to me, Netty [Vonleh], Frida [Formann] or anyone who is going off. That's just the flow of our offense. If someone's in a rhythm, we just keep that rhythm going."

Colorado (15-3, 6-1 Pac-12) trailed to start the fourth quarter for just the third time this season. The Buffs weren't phased, using a 30-point effort in the final quarter to put away the Golden Bears. CU went a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter and went 80% (16-20) from the line on the day.

"I 100% expected the game to look like this—an athletic matchup with a lot of back and forth," head coach JR Payne expressed after the win. "They have players that have the confidence and ability to hit really big shots when they need to and they rebound. I expected it to be exactly how it was. I was really proud of our team down the stretch. We executed and hit some big shots. Kindyll [Wetta] had a baseline runner. Quay some in a row that were huge and we got stops and hit free throws when we needed to."

California (10-8, 1-6) hit 10 3-pointers to keep the game tight the entire way. Evelien Lutje Schipholt led the Golden Bears with 17 points. Jayda Curry and Kemery Martin contributed three 3's on the day, finishing with 13 and nine points, respectively.

Former Buff Peanut Tuitele was scoreless on the afternoon, picking up six rebounds.

"We knew that this was going to be one of the hardest games in the league this season," Miller explained. "We were studying for about four or five days in preparation. We knew that they had their heart shattered in games prior to us and that they were going to leave it all on the floor."

Key Moment
CU's Tameiya Sadler came up big for the Buffs in the fourth quarter. She went to the free-throw line and knocked down a pair to break a 52-52 tie. Cal came back and tied the game on its next possession and CU turned the ball over to give the home team a shot at the lead.

Sadler came up with a steal on Curry and made a layup on the fast break to put CU ahead 56-54 with 5:22 to play. CU's defense then stepped up and forced two empty possessions that led to a Miller layup and a 58-54 CU lead.

The Buffs would go on a 13-3 run to the 1:39 mark after being tied at 54. The run handed CU a 67-57 lead and the Buffs would close the game 6-for-6 at the line.

Up Next
Colorado will close out the road trip with a shot to take down another ranked opponent on Sunday. The Buffs will head over to Maples Pavilion to take on No. 4 Stanford at 3 p.m. MT.

Notes
CU has now won seven in a row…The Buffs are now 6-3 on the road this season…CU's 30 fourth-quarter points were the most in a quarter this season and the most since posting 32 in the 1st quarter at Denver (Dec. 12, 2019)…Friday was Miller's 8th career 20-point game (four this season)…Sadler tied a season-high with eight rebounds…Vonleh has scored 10+ points in 13 straight games…Formann passed Brittany Wilson for 13th on CU's career 3-point list with 141.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/1/20/18_California.pdf

Strange

Not only were the 3 points taken away, but the player missed the 2 free free throws.

We also had Jaylon and Frida swishing free throws at the end.

This team has come together as a team. They have learned to finish games. I know last season, the Buffs let up in the 3rd and 4th quarters and lost some games they shouldn't have. That isn't happening this year.

JR is able to bring in higher quality transfers than previously because she and her style of coaching are a known commodity.

Now if this freshman class is as good as it sounds, we will be even better next season.

This team has come together as a team. They have learned to finish games. I know last season, the Buffs let up in the 3rd and 4th quarters and lost some games they shouldn't have. That isn't happening this year.

JR is able to bring in higher quality transfers than previously because she and her style of coaching are a known commodity.

Now if this freshman class is as good as it sounds, we will be even better next season.
She’s definitely done a great job. She’s created a positive culture and I think all of the players really love her.

They should talk to the men's team, they haven't yet.

Back