What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts Oregon (Thurs., 1/5/23, 7:00 MT; ESPN2), and OSU (Sat., 7:30 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
After an overall tough start to conference play, Men's basketball (9-6 overall, 1-3 in conference play) can hopefully use some home cooking to get healthy against the Oregon schools, who visit Boulder this week . The 1st game is this Thursday night against the Oregon Ducks (8-6, 2-1), after which the team faces off against the Oregon State Beavers (7-7, 1-2) Saturday evening.

This Thursday's evening game is slotted for ESPN2, while Satturday's is scheduled to be on the Pac 12 Network. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note- In the NET Ratings dated yesterday (1/2), the Buffs are at #74, while the Ducks are #72 and Beavers #221.

Go Buffs!!!

(Previews not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on the upcoming opponents:

Oregon:
Roster
- https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats - https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23
Schedule - https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.

OSU:
Roster
- https://osubeavers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats - https://static.osubeavers.com/custompages/MBBStats/2017/teamcume.htm?path=mbball&path=mbball
Schedule - https://osubeavers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video:
Vs. Oregon
- Game is being shown live on ESPN2. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the game can also be streamed on the ESPN App or at https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/41a20722-83ea-4e04-b846-c1d98a2394b5 . (If there are any issues with the detail link, the general Watch ESPN link is https://www.espn.com/watch/ .)
Vs. OSU -Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National, Oregon and Mountain channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/event/2023/01/07/oregon-state-colorado .

Live audio - In addition to being available on 850 or 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like free audio streams for the games will be available at:
Vs. Oregon - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2747&type=Live
Vs. OSU - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2749&type=Live

Link to link to live stats (All games) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=colo
For specific games:
Oregon
-
OSU -

Game notes: (Note- Left empty for games that don't have any as I type this.)
Oregon -
OSU -

Preview of this week's games - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/3/m...egon-osu-in-critical-homestand-this-week.aspx

"
BOULDER — With 16 Pac-12 games still remaining — 80 percent of the conference schedule — it might sound like a stretch to say the Colorado Buffaloes are facing a must-win weekend in Boulder.

But if Tad Boyle's Buffs have any designs on an NCAA Tournament berth, home wins against Oregon on Thursday (7 p.m.) and Oregon State on Saturday (7:30 p.m.) would go a long way in keeping those hopes alive.

Just a week ago, the Buffs (9-6 overall, 1-3 Pac-12) were in decent shape in the postseason hunt. Despite some disappointing losses early, CU was situated comfortably in the mid-40s in the NCAA's NET rankings, and they bolstered their situation with a road win at Stanford.

But a shocking New Year's Eve defeat at Cal — only the second win this year for the struggling Bears — handed CU its first Quad 4 loss of the year and pushed Colorado down into the 70s in the NET.

Now the Buffs need to right the ship in a hurry, especially with their annual road trip to the Los Angeles schools coming up after this week's two-game homestand.

QUICK LOOK OREGON: Picked to finish third in the Pac-12 in the preseason media poll, the Ducks (8-6 overall, 2-1 Pac-12) have had their ups and downs this season as well. Their losses included defeats at the hands of UC Irvine and Utah Valley, as well as three straight defeats at the hands of ranked teams — Houston, Connecticut and Michigan State.

But they are still a very talented team and have put together a decent 2-1 start in conference play. Guard Will Richardson leads the Ducks in scoring at 15.6 ppg and is second in the conference in assists with 5.9 per game. The Ducks are also getting good production from big man N'Faly Dante, who is averaging 13.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.

One interesting note: the Ducks have played just one true road game this year, a 65-56 loss at UCLA.

QUICK LOOK OREGON STATE: Wayne Tinkle's Beavers (7-7, 1-2) are also struggling to find some consistency. They own a conference win over Washington (a team that beat CU in early December), but they have also lost to Portland State (twice), USC and Texas A&M (who the Buffs soundly beat earlier this season).

The Beavers have three players averaging in double figures, led by freshman guard Jordan Pope (13.1 ppg) and junior forward Glenn Taylor (12.1 ppg).

Overall, the Beavers have struggled offensively, averaging just 65.5 points per game, 11th in the Pac-12.
________________________________________________________________________________________

"

I’m taking my two nephews to the Oregon State game on Saturday as their Christmas present from me. Where is the best place to park up there for a hoops game? Been a couple years since I was last at a game.

I’m taking my two nephews to the Oregon State game on Saturday as their Christmas present from me. Where is the best place to park up there for a hoops game? Been a couple years since I was last at a game.
Dark Horse or surface lot north of the CEC. By all things holy, do not let yourself end up in the north side parking garage.

/signed newbie who has only attended a few games

Lots of us are having a hard time figuring out what's happening with this team - including Tad.
I think he has to change the starting lineup - make a strong statement that a lot of the guys just aren't playing well.

IMO, this isn't about ability or Tad's schemes - this is players not getting 100% into the games.
It will be interesting to see if the presence of CP, and the extra press coverage, effects them.

Lots of us are having a hard time figuring out what's happening with this team - including Tad.
I think he has to change the starting lineup - make a strong statement that a lot of the guys just aren't playing well.

IMO, this isn't about ability or Tad's schemes - this is players not getting 100% into the games.
It will be interesting to see if the presence of CP, and the extra press coverage, effects them.
I could be wrong, but I just think the players aren't very good.

I could be wrong, but I just think the players aren't very good.
Bingo! Due IMO mainly to poor recruiting and also a lack of player development to a lesser degree, this is simply not a very good team. On his radio show, Boyle himself said this is not one of his more athletic teams. To me, the two Ivy League transfers, Allen, Clifford, Lovering (on offense) and Hammond have been very disappointing this year. Even da Silva has underperformed.

I think Boyle needs to meaningfully turn over the roster, which he will be able to do with much greater access now to the transfer portal.

Bingo! Due IMO mainly to poor recruiting and also a lack of player development to a lesser degree, this is simply not a very good team. On his radio show, Boyle himself said this is not one of his more athletic teams. To me, the two Ivy League transfers, Allen, Clifford, Lovering (on offense) and Hammond have been very disappointing this year. Even da Silva has underperformed.

I think Boyle needs to meaningfully turn over the roster, which he will be able to do with much greater access now to the transfer portal.

Very disappointing: Wright, Clifford, Allen
Moderately disappointing: Gabbidon, TDS (on defense), Lovering (on offense), LOB (3 pt shooting), Hammond (Turnovers), Free Throws
Mildly disappointing: Tad's rotations

Very disappointing: Wright, Clifford, Allen
Moderately disappointing: Gabbidon, TDS (on defense), Lovering (on offense), LOB (3 pt shooting), Hammond (Turnovers), Free Throws
Mildly disappointing: Tad's rotations
So you're saying that 8/10 guys have disappointed (and you could have added Hadley's inconsistency & FT problems to make it 9/10)... but you think Tad should be able to figure out what rotations will work from game to game, half to half? Even KJ has had his inconsistencies. This is a very difficult group to coach. Not just holes, but guys you can't count on to simply do what they're good at doing.

So you're saying that 8/10 guys have disappointed (and you could have added Hadley's inconsistency & FT problems to make it 9/10)... but you think Tad should be able to figure out what rotations will work from game to game, half to half? Even KJ has had his inconsistencies. This is a very difficult group to coach. Not just holes, but guys you can't count on to simply do what they're good at doing.
I think it's fair to blame Tad for assembling this group. Being mad at his rotations is silly.

I didn't list my mild and pleasant surprises :LOL:

But anyhow, I agree that this group is difficult to coach. My complaints with the rotations in-game and are related to pulling the hot hand at times, sitting LL too long when defensive intensity wanes and not staggering KJ and TDS so at least one of them is on the court at all times. I only think the rotations have been a mild disappointment because Tad has his hands full with this team.

I really think the biggest problem with this team is the lack of leadership. When Battey graduated, he left an enormous vacuum and none of the players who have been in the program for 3 years have shown much of anything on the leadership front.

I didn't list my mild and pleasant surprises :LOL:

But anyhow, I agree that this group is difficult to coach. My complaints with the rotations in-game and are related to pulling the hot hand at times, sitting LL too long when defensive intensity wanes and not staggering KJ and TDS so at least one of them is on the court at all times. I only think the rotations have been a mild disappointment because Tad has his hands full with this team.

I really think the biggest problem with this team is the lack of leadership. When Battey graduated, he left an enormous vacuum and none of the players who have been in the program for 3 years have shown much of anything on the leadership front.
Frankly, Battey had trouble leading these players. It took a while last year until it happened. Pretty much coincided with the rotation shrinking down to like 7 guys and him becoming more of a focal point of team success.

Frankly, Battey had trouble leading these players. It took a while last year until it happened. Pretty much coincided with the rotation shrinking down to like 7 guys and him becoming more of a focal point of team success.
The rotation last year didn't really shrink until LL and Parquet got hurt, which forced Tad's hand. Parquet was being given too many minutes based on his level of play prior to the injury.

I love Tad, but his rotations and minutes distribution can also be called into question, along with bringing in some of the guys on the current roster. Why is Clifford still starting and getting 20+ minutes every game, despite regressing? What has Wright shown at all, besides one hot hand against A&M? I

The rotation last year didn't really shrink until LL and Parquet got hurt, which forced Tad's hand. Parquet was being given too many minutes based on his level of play prior to the injury.

I love Tad, but his rotations and minutes distribution can also be called into question, along with bringing in some of the guys on the current roster. Why is Clifford still starting and getting 20+ minutes every game, despite regressing? What has Wright shown at all, besides one hot hand against A&M? I
Guys are playing because the guys behind them aren't doing their jobs either.

Agreed, but Junior Clifford isn't nearly the defensive player Sophomore Clifford was.
Yup, but the problem with this team is defense, not offense. Tad's not going to fix that by rewarding a guy who is bad at defense. The options are bad.

Tad either has to compromise his rules or get someone to play defense. Could be disastrous long term to take the bad option. However, the other one is potentially impossible.

Reactions: '99
Back