What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts Washington (Thurs., 1/19/23, 7:00 MT; ESPNU) and WSU (Sunday, 4:00 PM MT, ESPNU)

I was worried I was going to get charged with child abuse for taking my daughter to that game. KJs dunk was awesome. The 3 pointer to win was good. I think it's good Gabiddon is back. It's great we won the game despite playing this bad. The refs were horrible.

On that note let's forget this game happened

Yup. Notice that nique didn't play in the 2d half?

Yup. Picked up that 3rd foul(he played good D on that play, was just unlucky) around the 16 min mark and sat the bench the rest of the game. I dunno, maybe start Hadley and bring Nique off the bench for awhile. He has no idea on O right now.

Yup. Picked up that 3rd foul(he played good D on that play, was just unlucky) around the 16 min mark and sat the bench the rest of the game. I dunno, maybe start Hadley and bring Nique off the bench for awhile. He has no idea on O right now.
I'd start KJ, Hammond, TDS, Hadley and Lawson. LOB my first guy off the bench.

Personally, I'd start Kj, Hadley, LOB, TDS and LL.

Make anyone else earn the right to come off the bench.

Hammond, Gabbidon, for breathers. The rest can sit

It'd be really nice to have Barthelemy as the 2nd guard right now. Sorry, I'll let it go.
I’m honestly not sure he would help at this point. No ill will towards him but he wasn’t exactly a leader for us last year. Nor was he THAT good. I mean, it’d be a slight uptick over the Ivys but at this point I think @Darth Snow ’s daughter would be too.

I’m honestly not sure he would help at this point. No ill will towards him but he wasn’t exactly a leader for us last year. Nor was he THAT good. I mean, it’d be a slight uptick over the Ivys but at this point I think @Darth Snow ’s daughter would be too.
Ethan Wright needs to go behind Quincy. Gabiddon does positive things despite his offensive limitations. My daughter can dunk if the hoop is 2 feet tall tho

Basketball is interesting because of how much impact one player can have on a teams success because he was counted on to fill a certain role on the team.

Wondering if Tad was expecting Allen to be a significant contributor on this team as a scorer as well as on defense and grabbing some boards. With Allen as a non-factor is his expected contribution the margin that would have made this team significantly better?

Basketball is interesting because of how much impact one player can have on a teams success because he was counted on to fill a certain role on the team.

Wondering if Tad was expecting Allen to be a significant contributor on this team as a scorer as well as on defense and grabbing some boards. With Allen as a non-factor is his expected contribution the margin that would have made this team significantly better?
I think Nique was who he was counting on to be a 12/6 guy and cause havoc on defense.

I think Nique was who he was counting on to be a 12/6 guy and cause havoc on defense.
May be, and that hasn't worked either but based on Allen's recruiting rankings and offer list hard to imagine that expectations for him weren't much higher.

May be, and that hasn't worked either but based on Allen's recruiting rankings and offer list hard to imagine that expectations for him weren't much higher.
Nah. Tad had him for a year. He knew not to count on him.

Want to know how bad Ethan Wright is? He played 3 minutes today and during that time, WSU outscored CU 11-0. I was convinced Xavier Talton and Thomas Akyazili were the worst scholarship players in the Tad era, but Ethan has them beat.

Want to know how bad Ethan Wright is? He played 3 minutes today and during that time, WSU outscored CU 11-0. I was convinced Xavier Talton and Thomas Akyazili were the worst scholarship players in the Tad era, but Ethan has them beat.
XT was good enough to play professionally for a bit. But, yeah, everyone from Europe (other than TDS) plus the pianist... he's in that group.

Media after last night's win.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/22/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-wsu.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado's KJ Simpson hit the deciding 3-pointer in the final seconds and Tristan da Silva scored 27 points to lead the Buffaloes to a 58-55 win over Washington State on Sunday at the CU Events Center.

Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 12-9 overall and 4-6 in Pac-12 play while breaking a three-game losing streak. WSU dropped to 9-12, 4-6, and fell to 0-12 all-time in Boulder.

Simpson's 3-pointer came with 4.8 seconds on the clock after the Cougars had tied the game at 55-55. WSU then missed a shot at the buzzer to help the Buffs end their skid.

Da Silva hit his first nine shots and finished 11-for-13 en route to his sixth 20-point game of the season. Simpson finished with 16 points, five rebounds and three assists, J'Vonne Hadley added nine points and four rebounds and Luke O'Brien collected six rebounds.

WSU's TJ Bamba finished with 18 points, but Colorado's defense, led by big man Lawson Lovering, held Cougars leading scorer Mouhamed Gueye scoreless on 0-for-7 shooting.

The Buffs were by no means at their best, but they came up with big plays and big moments when necessary. Colorado shot just 14-for-23 from the free throw line, but the Buffs were 50 percent from the floor (21-for-42). CU also had a 30-27 edge on the boards, and while Colorado committed 17 turnovers the Buffs also forced 17 WSU miscues. CU also held WSU to just 39 percent shooting from the floor (20-for-51), including just 4-for-16 from 3-point range.

"That was a battle extraordinaire and we beat a good, good basketball team," Boyle said. "Nothing comes easy in league play. What our guys have been through, you know, over the last three, four weeks, I really just feel like we deserved this and they deserved it. This is a young team that continues to learn about itself and about what it takes to be successful in college basketball in a conference like this. You're not gonna be given anything and we earned everything."

TURNING POINT: This one wasn't decided until the final seconds and CU's Simpson came up with the game-winning play.

WHAT IT MEANS: The Buffs ended a three-game losing streak with a much-needed win. CU climbed into a tie for seventh in the Pac-12 standings, with five of their remaining 10 conference games at home.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs were 50 percent from the floor (21-for-42) … CU also had a 30-27 edge on the boards … The Buffs reaped 17 points off 17 WSU turnovers … Colorado held the Pac-12's leading 3-point shooting team to just 4-for-16 from long distance .

NEXT UP: Colorado heads to the Pacific Northwest next week for a pair. CU plays at Oregon on Thursday at 7 p.m., then faces Oregon State on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. Both games will be televised by the Pac-12 Network.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/washington-state/boxscore/16066

Last edited:
Back