What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S Bball scheduled to host Oregon (Thurs., 2/3/21, 8:00 PM MT, FS1) & OSU (Sat., 4:00 PM, FS1)

It has gotten better in recent years but I think the thing that disturbs me the most since Tad has been here is our tendency to have long stretches when we simply cannot put points on the board.

It seems like it gets into our heads and when it happens we pass up good shots and end up turning the ball over looking to give the ball to somebody else to take it. Even when we take good shots we choke on them leaving them short (sometimes a sign of a shooter who has tensed up) other time making them harder than they need to be by driving into the defense instead of taking the open shot.

I still think Tad is an outstanding coach and this is simply another one of his reset and rebuild years but it's still frustrating to see us lose at home to teams like Oregon.
Last night's offense came down to 2 things:
1) Not being able to finish. I love the kid, but there's no way jabari should be thinking of the NBA at this point. If you can't consistently finish at this level, you're going to get eaten alive in the league. And how about hitting a FT once in a godamn while? But, he's not the only culprit - how many times do we get to the hole and miss a layup? Or dribble recklessly into the paint, get converged on and freak out?
2) Being scared to shoot. There were long stretches where we'd pass the ball around the perimeter and there'd be 2-3 seemingly decent shot opportunities and the player with the ball would literally cinch up and pass the ball away as quickly as they could. Clifford and Hammonds were scared sh!tless last night for some reason. Tristan wasn't firing on all cylinders either. For long stretches it seemed like we were playing 2-3 on five on the offensive end.

Last night's offense came down to 2 things:
1) Not being able to finish. I love the kid, but there's no way jabari should be thinking of the NBA at this point. If you can't consistently finish at this level, you're going to get eaten alive in the league. And how about hitting a FT once in a godamn while? But, he's not the only culprit - how many times do we get to the hole and miss a layup? Or dribble recklessly into the paint, get converged on and freak out?
2) Being scared to shoot. There were long stretches where we'd pass the ball around the perimeter and there'd be 2-3 seemingly decent shot opportunities and the player with the ball would literally cinch up and pass the ball away as quickly as they could. Clifford and Hammonds were scared sh!tless last night for some reason. Tristan wasn't firing on all cylinders either. For long stretches it seemed like we were playing 2-3 on five on the offensive end.
My wife, who is MUCH less of a negative fan than I, was counting missed points last night. We were at 14 in the first half. Only counting missed free throws and layups.

In the first half.

Absurd.

I don’t think we only scored 16 points in the second half because “Oregon picked on” our 8th man, 10th man when we’re all the way healthy. You have a weird habit of blaming problems on deep bench guys. I tend to think the problem comes from our best 5 or 6 players playing like ****.
OK, here was my point
Parquet was out, one less experienced ballhandler
Simpson is going to be a stud, but he seemed a bit off, especially on that play when he did not sprint back after turning it over
Thus, Hammond was asked to have the ball more, and Oregon worked hard to keep the ball away from Kee in the second half.
Hammond had a ton of turnovers, and Oregon got rolling.
Did our best players play great, nope, Kee was on fire in the first half, but Oregon took him out of the game, and he did not work hard enough to get it back
Evan and Jabari have a lot on their shoulders, but they have to come through
Tristan was pretty darn quiet also. When players are out, and the other team makes a defensive adjustment, others must adjust, but the guy getting picked on also needs to realize with the help of the coaches how to stop the bleeding

OK, here was my point
Parquet was out, one less experienced ballhandler
Simpson is going to be a stud, but he seemed a bit off, especially on that play when he did not sprint back after turning it over
Thus, Hammond was asked to have the ball more, and Oregon worked hard to keep the ball away from Kee in the second half.
Hammond had a ton of turnovers, and Oregon got rolling.
Did our best players play great, nope, Kee was on fire in the first half, but Oregon took him out of the game, and he did not work hard enough to get it back
Evan and Jabari have a lot on their shoulders, but they have to come through
Tristan was pretty darn quiet also. When players are out, and the other team makes a defensive adjustment, others must adjust, but the guy getting picked on also needs to realize with the help of the coaches how to stop the bleeding
I also think KJ is going to be a terrific player, he's going through freshman road bumps right now. According to the box score, he had 6 turnovers. Evan had 5 (although I can think of 1 or 2 of those that while Evan got credit for the turnover, it really was on whoever was making the entry pass) Hammond had 1. Tristan looked like he was struggling with conditioning after being sick.

I also think KJ is going to be a terrific player, he's going through freshman road bumps right now. According to the box score, he had 6 turnovers. Evan had 5 (although I can think of 1 or 2 of those that while Evan got credit for the turnover, it really was on whoever was making the entry pass) Hammond had 1. Tristan looked like he was struggling with conditioning after being sick.
Evan did have the one where he threw it into the 3rd row behind the Ore bench. Still not really sure what happened on that one.

If you watch in the first half, KJ kinda had a weird step and stop where it looked like he tweaked a groin or something. He has taken some manly hits and bumps and I agree he is hitting the Freshman wall.
Evan got that one body slam no call out of bounds crap call also
Parquet has got to be in a bit of a bad headspace cause he was counted on for a lot of senior leadership and lockdown defense, but he has played pretty poorly when he was healthy, and now he is missing games. Nobody besides him and Evan understands lockdown high-effort defense.
Too much to ask Hammond to run the offense against a hungry and athletic Oregon team, and I was high on Clifford for a few good reasons, but then he was throwing a bunch of terrible hero passes all over and it kinda killed my point.
On to the next one

Turnovers and missed layups sums up this year's team. Playing soft imo.

Eli is done now. This year sux, but the minutes are sure to help KJ, Clifford, Hammond, and LOB.

I hope we can regroup for a magical push down the stretch.

Watching it, I believe there was about 5 or 6 to go, when the commentators said Oregon had 23 points off CU turnovers. That can't happen, I don't give a damn who you are playing.

Man that sucks. It was good to see his development over the years. Anyone know if he can come back next season(covid year exception)?
I'm pretty sure that everyone who played last year got a free year of eligibility, so we'll have the roster questions all the way until all of Jabari, Kee, Tristan, LOB, and Nique have moved on.

If you watch in the first half, KJ kinda had a weird step and stop where it looked like he tweaked a groin or something. He has taken some manly hits and bumps and I agree he is hitting the Freshman wall.
Evan got that one body slam no call out of bounds crap call also
Parquet has got to be in a bit of a bad headspace cause he was counted on for a lot of senior leadership and lockdown defense, but he has played pretty poorly when he was healthy, and now he is missing games. Nobody besides him and Evan understands lockdown high-effort defense.
Too much to ask Hammond to run the offense against a hungry and athletic Oregon team, and I was high on Clifford for a few good reasons, but then he was throwing a bunch of terrible hero passes all over and it kinda killed my point.
On to the next one
Losing Parquet is huge.

We knew that this team was going to be very up and down coming into the year. We lost a huge amount of last years key players and are a team with a lot of players getting their first real significant playing time. Evan is quality veteran leader but guys have to learn how to follow.

I love that the team has a very unselfish mentality to it but guys have to be more willing to take the available good shot or create one rather than keep passing the ball until we turn it over or have to jack up a bad shot to beat the shot clock.

One thing we know about Tad though is that this seasons frustrations will be turned into wins in the future. He is an outstanding coach, not just a recruiter.

I did watch. While it ended up being boring, it was fun that it was never close. I like when walk-ons get to play.

Took care of business is what I saw, hit shots, still turned it over just not as bad. Did better on the boards as well. Build on it.

Doubt we'll see another first half like tonight, 11-14 from three point range. It was quite something to watch in person. IIRC, the Buffs hit all of three treys in the second half.

Looks like the only goal of Tad's the team didn't meet once again was turnovers. But when you are hitting a bazzilion percent from deep the turnovers don't matter as much.

I would guess that one other thing Tad might have a quibble with is the inability to get the ball down low on a regular basis.

What the hell happened to UCLA? Yes, I saw the replay of the last shot, that fan who threw that ball or whatever it was, shouldn't be allowed to attend any home games. That said, I'm surprised UCLA had any trouble at all with ASU.

What the hell happened to UCLA? Yes, I saw the replay of the last shot, that fan who threw that ball or whatever it was, shouldn't be allowed to attend any home games. That said, I'm surprised UCLA had any trouble at all with ASU.
It's hard to win road conference games. If you're not right (bad shooting, not up for it, not healthy, etc), anyone can lose to anyone.

It's hard to win road conference games. If you're not right (bad shooting, not up for it, not healthy, etc), anyone can lose to anyone.
I get all that. Just a ****ing surprise to me with the garbage that ASU is right now.

Hopefully it's nothing but Ruffin was missing on the bench against Oregon and Tad said we wasn't even aware of it. I don't recall seeing him on the bench for the OSU game either.

There is no doubt in my mind that Tinkle made a deal with the devil last season. His big ass is going to rot in hell for eternity for that run. Hope it was worth it.

Back