What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-(RV) MEN'S BBall begins Pac 12 play hosting Washington (Fri., 12/29/23; 7:00 PM MT; ESPNU) and WSU (Sunday, Noon MT; Pac 12 Net.)

OFI: Two plays where Lampkin had the ball near top of the paint, drew double team, and made a great pass to an unprepared teammate in the arc, resulting in turnovers. Carrington and Diop, I think.

First place Colorado Buffaloes!!!!
You're right on Diop. I remember the play.

OFI: Two plays where Lampkin had the ball near top of the paint, drew double team, and made a great pass to an unprepared teammate in the arc, resulting in turnovers. Carrington and Diop, I think.

First place Colorado Buffaloes!!!!
Carrington progressed a little throughout the game, but he looked completely lost on both ends of the court when he first entered the game.

I specifically remember that second pass to Diop that resulted in a turnover.

Carrington progressed a little throughout the game, but he looked completely lost on both ends of the court when he first entered the game.

I specifically remember that second pass to Diop that resulted in a turnover.
He hustled his ass off out there and was part of some big plays that first half. Cleanup bucket on a fast break, part of a couple deflections to turnover UW, couple tough rebounds. You’re right he doesn’t really belong out there, but I sure bet the coaches are happy with what he did.

Great full team effort by everyone who played, gutty win.

When we play them in seattle, that needs to be the Eddie lampkin show. Their bigs cannot guard him. Mean fouled out and they have nothing else.

I agree it should be but he needs to be over 50% shooting from where he is taking shots and he needs to be better than 7-12 on free throws. They did not go to him every time for a reason. He takes space and did draw a ton of fouls but he is clumsy and uncoordinated and he hurts the team at times. He is not a go to guy
Eddie was easily the 2nd best player on the court tonight. If the refs had eyes, he'd have been 14-24 or better on fts. Not sure how many times he went up up for a latup or short bunnies and his arms didn't go with him.

He hustled his ass off out there and was part of some big plays that first half. Cleanup bucket on a fast break, part of a couple deflections to turnover UW, couple tough rebounds. You’re right he doesn’t really belong out there, but I sure bet the coaches are happy with what he did.

Great full team effort by everyone who played, gutty win.
Completely adequate on the defensive end and not a walking turnover is great from a walk-on freshman. Apparently he dropped 40 in a prep school game looking at his bio.

Lampkin played a great game. Sure he missed a few close ones, but he played tough D and created a ton of points for other players. He's gfreat at screening on drives and opening up the lane. He was the catalyst when CU got down.
Agreed. The nitpicking of certain bad plays throughout game threads is silly. Lampkin scored double what he’s averaging on the season and logged another double double. Some bad turnovers, but so what? He had the ball a ton and basketball is hard. His best game of the year helped us get our second best win. Forget the bad stuff, let the coaches handle that. ENJOY THINGS, people!

Edit: similar thing for Hammond. Dude scored more than his average (by a couple), had three big time 3s (50% from 3), and toughed out a lot of minutes despite looking like he was battling a sore back and/or sickness (my own speculation on sickness, looked off).

Last edited:
Every win we can get with only 3/5ths of our starters and 1/3rd of our top three scorers feels like a bonus. Especially since we have to win home games.

Media after tonight's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/29/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-washington

"

Buffs Rally Down Stretch To Sink Huskies In Pac-12 Opener​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

BOULDER — Colorado's KJ Simpson and Eddie Lampkin Jr. stepped up with double-doubles Friday night to lead the shorthanded Buffaloes to a gutsy 73-69 win over Washington in their Pac-12 opener at the CU Events Center.

Tad Boyle's Buffs, playing without injured stars Tristan da Silva and Cody Williams as well as RJ Smith and Bangot Dak, won their fifth in a row to improve to 10-2 overall and 1-0 in Pac-12 play. Washington fell to 8-4, 0-1.

Simpson finished with 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists while Lampkin had his third straight double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Luke O'Brien just missed a double-double, finishing with 11 points and nine rebounds, and J'Vonne Hadley and Julian Hammond III each added 11 points.

Keion Brooks Jr. led Washington with 20 points, but he needed 7-for-17 shooting to hit the mark.

The Buffs led by six at the half, 32-26, but the Huskies slowly chipped away at the lead, then used a 9-0 run to take a 63-56 edge with 5:50 to play.

Colorado, though, wouldn't quit as the Buffs answered with a 17-6 surge over the final 5:13 to take the win. Hadley had six points in the run and Simpson had five in the final 1:46.

Colorado shot just 44 percent from the floor (26-for-59) but the Buffs held UW to 38.5 percent shooting (25-for-65). CU also held a commanding 49-31 edge on the boards.

Colorado is now 88-6 under Boyle when the Buffs hit the "gold standard" of holding an opponent to 40 percent or less shooting and having at least a plus-8 margin on the boards.

Da Silva, CU' second-leading scorer and third-leading rebounder, went down with an ankle injury in the final minutes of Thursday's practice. Williams has missed the last four games with a wrist injury. Boyle admitted, "I didn't sleep very well last night," but he told his team they still had the talent to win and his players proved him right.

The Buffs were by no means at their best. They committed 15 turnovers and Simpson and Lampkin — the only two Buffs to shoot free throws — combined to hit just 15 of their 24 attempts from the line.

Still, they made plays when most needed.

"Gritty win, obviously, with adjusting to being without one of your best players," Boyle said. "I knew we had enough talent in that locker room to win this game but I also knew that our margin for error went down significantly. The good news is we didn't play our best and we found a way to win this game. That's what good teams do. That's what high character teams do. That's what teams with toughness do and we beat a quality team, a talented team in Washington. I'm really proud of our guys and the way they handled the adversity."

WHAT IT MEANS: With two home games to open Pac-12 play, the Buffs definitely needed a win — something that was clearly in doubt with da Silva out. But CU showed its depth and toughness, something that will no doubt be of value as the conference schedule progresses.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado shot just 44 percent from the floor (26-for-59) but the Buffs held UW to 38.5 percent shooting (25-for-65) … CU also held a commanding 49-31 edge on the boards … The Buffs outscored Washington 40-28 in the paint.

NEXT UP: The Buffs return to the Events Center on Sunday for a noon home game against Washington State (Pac-12 Network). CU then hits the road for three straight games: next Thursday at Arizona (Jan. 4), Saturday at Arizona State (Jan. 6) and a Jan. 10 game at Cal.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/washington/boxscore/16626

To be frank, that’s plenty of an excuse.

Most teams would lose with having 2 out of their top 3 scorers at home against a top half of the conference opponent.

Washington has had their entire team too.

Great win.
Dude, we already have a Frank and don't need another one.

You're right on Diop. I remember the play.
The announcers were joking about what an unpredictable pass that was, and they could see why a freshman wasn't ready.
My recollection, it was a very low, behind the back pass.

"No disrespect to the guys we didn't have, but it's next man up," Simpson said. "Everyone on our team is capable of putting on a show."

TdS was moving better than I thought he would be, after the game.

The announcers were joking about what an unpredictable pass that was, and they could see why a freshman wasn't ready.
My recollection, it was a very low, behind the back pass.

We we're discussing that last night.

My buddy made the comment, "if you're under the basket, you need to be ready for a pass"

I couldn't disagree.

I’m throwing the red flag! We need an official review of Tad’s comments.

The ruling on the field that Old Man Heard What He Wants to Hear Then Yells at a Cloud has been confirmed. DBT is charged with his last and final timeout.

giphy.gif

Lampkin played a great game. Sure he missed a few close ones, but he played tough D and created a ton of points for other players. He's gfreat at screening on drives and opening up the lane. He was the catalyst when CU got down.
He had a decent night. The guys he played against were not good last night. He had a huge advantage and did get one to foul out and then 32 should have been dunked on all night. Did not happen but was enough to win on a very short night. Gutsy team win where a bunch of guys stepped up

We we're discussing that last night.

My buddy made the comment, "if you're under the basket, you need to be ready for a pass"

I couldn't disagree.
That's true, but there is a reason if you don't get the pass. I'm not talking about CU, just the game in general.

He had a decent night. The guys he played against were not good last night. He had a huge advantage and did get one to foul out and then 32 should have been dunked on all night. Did not happen but was enough to win on a very short night. Gutsy team win where a bunch of guys stepped up
I swore 32 was playing for Nebraska last year.

Going to the wsu game with the family. Parking suggestions for those of us who don’t make it to many games?

Back