What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's Bball hosts #7/9 Oregon (Friday, 8:00 PM) and #17 OSU (Sunday, 2:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Based on national rankings, this should be the most challenging (which I'm sure ='s fun for competitive athletes!) weekend of the season for the Buffs, which includes a chance for Coach Payne to lead her team against (I believe) her main coaching mentor's (the Ducks' Coach Graves) squad.

Preview article-

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/1/25/w...ork-paying-off-in-first-season-as-a-buff.aspx

"
BOULDER – Peyton Carter grew up just 20 minutes from Boulder. Naturally, she has been a fan of CU basketball since birth. It was only fitting for the standout at Monarch High School to take her basketball talents to the University of Colorado when she graduated last spring.

"I grew up watching CU," Carter said. "I grew up watching Chucky Jeffery, the Wilson twins (Brittany and Ashley), and Lexy Kresl, and I would sit in the stands thinking 'I want to be like them.' That was always a dream of mine, so to be here is like a dream come true."

Carter joined the Buffs during the summer of 2017 as a preferred walk-on, with the agreement that she would be on scholarship during her junior and senior seasons once current juniors Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson graduated. But Carter made an instant impression on her teammates and coaches and head coach JR Payne has put her on scholarship already during her freshman season.

THIS WEEKEND:
CU hosts No. 7/9 Oregon at 8 p.m. on Friday and No. 17/17 Oregon State at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Both games will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.

PROMOTIONS:
There are a number of promotions and events surrounding the weekend's games. It is alumnae weekend as all former players are invited back for activities and will be recognized during Sunday's game.

At Friday's game, fans 21-and-older are invited to participate in Paint & Sip before the game. The promotion includes a game ticket, paint and a canvas, and one glass of wine for $35 ($30 for fans with a ticket already). The art class will be taught by POSH. Tickets can be purchased at CUBuffs.com/PaintAndSip.

Friday's game will also have free light sticks for the first 500 fans and all fans are encouraged to wear black.

Sunday's game is part of National Girls And Women In Sports Day. Skill and fitness stations will be set up around the Coors Events Center concourse starting at noon. From 1-2 p.m., CU women's sports teams will be available for autographs on the concourse. Boys sixth grade and under and girls eight grade and under will receive free admission.

CU students will receive free Half Fast Subs before the game and will be able to enter a drawing for a 50-inch television and Buffs apparel.

It is also the Elevation Game as the goal is to put 5,345 fans in the arena, the same number as the elevation of Coors in feet.

SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS:
The Ducks are among the top teams in the country, currently ranked No. 7 in the AP poll and No. 9 in the WBCA poll. At 18-3 and 7-1 in the Pac-12, they sit alone atop the conference standings.

All five starters average double figures in scoring, led by national player of the year candidate Sabrina Ionescu. The 5-11 sophomore guard averages 19.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 7.3 assists, leading the Pac-12 in scoring and assists. She became the NCAA's career triple-doubles leader earlier this season with her eighth, incredibly in less than two seasons. She is shooting 45.2 percent from the outside.

Oregon State enters the weekend ranked No. 17 in both the AP and coaches poll with a record of 14-5 overall and 5-3 in the Pac-12. The Beavers' signature win this season was the overtime victory over Oregon in Corvallis last Friday, OSU's third consecutive win. However, the Ducks enacted revenge on Sunday in Eugene.

Marie Gülich, a 6-5 senior, leads the Beavers in scoring (17.1) and rebounding (8.9), while shooting 66.0 percent from the floor, ranking fourth nationally in field goal percentage. She is 12th in the nation in blocks (3.0 per game). Gülich has now recorded a double-double in three straight games, including 28 points and 15 rebounds in the overtime win over Oregon last Friday.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________
As also noted above, many promotions for both games this weekend, including -

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Coverage-

Live stats
(Both games) - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

Vs. Oregon (Friday, 8:00 PM MT start)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Oregon channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to those Pac 12 channels, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2018/01/26/oregon-colorado .

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1184&type=Live .

Vs. OSU (Sunday, 2:00 PM MT start)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and Oregon channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to those Pac 12 channels, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2018/01/28/oregon-state-colorado.

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1185&type=Live .

Last edited:
But the unanswered question is: Will Janea Bunn be playing or not? She was not on the Arizona trip last weekend for "personal reasons".

But the unanswered question is: Will Janea Bunn be playing or not? She was not on the Arizona trip last weekend for "personal reasons".
Huge question, because I think with this team you can say that if JR can get Leonard, Robinson, Janks & Bunn going that there's a clear path to how this CU team is able to compete in every single game. Lose one of those players and the margin for error on being able to compete if things are even a little bit off becomes so slim.

I do think Bunn's absence contributed to losing to Arizona last weekend. We will find out tonight if she plays.

The game is going to be on Pac 12 National network so I don't have to watch the game on a computer. I may not want to watch very long. I hope I am wrong about that.

Hoping Bunn is playing and everyone else is ready to go. Every player will have to be at their best in both games if we have an opportunity to win. Go Buffs.

I do think Bunn's absence contributed to losing to Arizona last weekend. We will find out tonight if she plays.

The game is going to be on Pac 12 National network so I don't have to watch the game on a computer. I may not want to watch very long. I hope I am wrong about that.

Hoping Bunn is playing and everyone else is ready to go. Every player will have to be at their best in both games if we have an opportunity to win. Go Buffs.

I think it contributed to both losses. Before last weekend, I didn't think we had a chance vs ASU with Bunn but we played them pretty close. Hope we see her tonight.

I think it contributed to both losses. Before last weekend, I didn't think we had a chance vs ASU with Bunn but we played them pretty close. Hope we see her tonight.
I agree. Having Bunn as a good post presence in the Arizona game to go along with Correal playing in her first game post knee surgery would, imo, have resulted in a Buffs win. As for the ASU game, I was pleasantly surprised with how close we played them. There too having Bunn might have swung the result our way.

Some nice insight into Annika from Brian Howell this morning to go along with the game.

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...nika-jank-remains-confident-despite-struggles

I just think she needs to get her confidence back and she will be fine. Annika should realize that she has already played well against teams like the PAC when she played Miami and UNC and she had excellent games against those two, who are darn good ACC teams. I think it is just a little 'mind game' that all freshman get into at some point and she will overcome this.

Despite all the nonsense in that other thread on the AZ State game, I thought the Buffs actually played a pretty good game, especially after JR crossed them up with that change of PGs. Charli is a darn good coach but her players are always a little slow to react and they went crazy trying to find Kennedy when Peyton ran the point. I am slowly gaining more and more confidence in this coaching staff as this year goes along. I also like the way the new players are being given play time during crucial game minutes, rather than mop up. We're not going to the dance this year so it is important to groom the younger players, while still playing to win.

Finally, I also want to say how pleased I am to see Peyton Carter doing so well. It was a real nice stroke when she mentioned Chucky, Lexy Kresle and the Wilson twins in that article. That's the really best thing about a local gal finding success with the Buffs, her ties to the team growing up. Nice touch and I am sure the alum will appreciate that.
http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/1/25/w...ork-paying-off-in-first-season-as-a-buff.aspx

After getting the deficit down to 3 at 36-39, Buffs look to have trouble scoring the rest of the 3rd, and were down 55-43 at the end of the 3rd. It's now 46-61 with around 7 minutes left.

This one slipped away from around the 6 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, and Buffs lose 55-74.

Just looking at stats, it wasn't a horrible turnover stat line for the Buffs compared to some other games (only lost the stat 14-8), especially against a highly ranked Oregon squad, but the later was MUCH more effective converting, and held an 18-2 advantage in points off turnovers.

Last edited:
Oregon is just at another level. Oregon State is too. Will need to play our best and hope they don't. Need big games from Robinson and Bunn along with Kennedy.

This one slipped away from around the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, and Buffs lose 55-74.

Just looking at stats, it wasn't a horrible turnover stat line for the Buffs compared to some other games (only lost the stat 14-8), especially against a highly ranked Oregon squad, but the later was MUCH more effective converting, and held an 18-2 edge in points off turnovers.

Kennedy had 9 assists and 1 TO. That's amazing. Cayla-Do and Hollingshed had 3 turnovers each. The offense was a huge problem (33% FG) and giving up too much inside and too many easy 3's on D. Regardless, we were never going to win that game. Sigh.

Scoring droughts hurt against any team. They kill you against a team like Oregon. Shooting 33.9% is not going to win in the Pac 12, even if against a good defense. Team wasn't able to get to the free throw line but sent Oregon to free throw line.

Didn't have too many turnovers but the ones we had led to 18 points by Oregon. We only got 2 points off their turnovers.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, we maybe get a win against Washington in Boulder. Every other game would be an upset.

There are some good signs with this team.

Like what? Help me out. I need to be cheered up. They did play hard. I guess I'm still upset how we blew last weekend due to missing a key player. I see three players that can score in PAC 12 play and a team can't win like that unless all 3 shoot well. Also, all 3 need to be on the floor and not missing road trips or not starting.

Scoring droughts hurt against any team. They kill you against a team like Oregon. Shooting 33.9% is not going to win in the Pac 12, even if against a good defense. Team wasn't able to get to the free throw line but sent Oregon to free throw line.

Didn't have too many turnovers but the ones we had led to 18 points by Oregon. We only got 2 points off their turnovers.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, we maybe get a win against Washington in Boulder. Every other game would be an upset.

Agree. Scoring and giving up easy threes on D are our biggest weaknesses.

Like what? Help me out. I need to be cheered up. They did play hard. I guess I'm still upset how we blew last weekend due to missing a key player. I see three players that can score in PAC 12 play and a team can't win like that unless all 3 shoot well. Also, all 3 need to be on the floor and not missing road trips or not starting.
I'm seeing more fight and more playing for each other. Teams that have that get better and find ways to pull upsets.

I’ll give you a few
Bunn is back
Q is getting back in the form she had last year and the brace on her hand is gone
Correal is playing
Lex has hit 9 3s and is averaging 15 ppg in the last 3 games
Kennedy is averaging 17ppg, 4 rebounds, 8 assists and a 2.5/1 assists to TO ratio the last 3 games

I'm seeing more fight and more playing for each other. Teams that have that get better and find ways to pull upsets.

I just don't think that creates much offense. We might pull an upset or two because basketball is like that. I just think we lack offensive firepower to beat a good team this year.

What I am hoping for is everybody gets better and stronger for next year. We will have 3 SR's starting next year and all can score. I think Robinson will benefit greatly from a full offseason of practicing instead of rehabbing. Maybe Bunn will work on her post game. Same for Jank. The FR should all be better as SO's. Knight/Jank/Hollingshed should all be considerably bigger and stronger and improve their outside shots with a full offseason in the program. I am also hoping the two 2018 FR will be in the rotation right away. I honestly think we will be the most improved PAC 12 team next year and finish in the middle of the league. Maybe I'm a homer.

Last edited:
I’ll give you a few
Bunn is back
Q is getting back in the form she had last year and the brace on her hand is gone
Correal is playing
Lex has hit 9 3s and is averaging 15 ppg in the last 3 games
Kennedy is averaging 17ppg, 4 rebounds, 8 assists and a 2.5/1 assists to TO ratio the last 3 games

I like what I saw from Kennedy last night for sure. I hope it continues.

Lex played great vs AZ but I don't think her last two games were very good and especially last night. She was 4-13. She made her first two shots then went 2-11. I just have high expectations for her and she's averaging 10 ppg the last two games.

I'm very happy Bunn is back as she is one of our three scorers. She continues to get into foul trouble though. We need her to play 30 min, not 20. I hope correal can play the other 10 or so but she is having a hard time finishing on O and playing D on permitted on screens. I feel bad for her because she looks like she's in pain.

We need Cayla-Do to score some and hopefully last night was a start to that. She doesn't have her confidence back on 3's yet.

I don't want to be a negative poster. I just think this is just one of those years that we have to take our lumps and get better for next year. I found it interesting the head coach for Oregon said the second year for a new staff is always the hardest. I hope he's right. See above on my expectations for next year.

I just don't think that creates much offense. We might pull an upset or two because basketball is like that. I just think we lack offensive firepower to beat a good team this year.

What I am hoping for is everybody gets better and stronger for next year. We will have 3 SR's starting next year and all can score. I think Robinson will benefit greatly from a full offseason of practicing instead of rehabbing. Maybe Bunn will work on her post game. Same for Jank. The FR should all be better as SO's. Knight/Jank/Hollingshed should all be considerably bigger and stronger and improve their outside shots with a full offseason in the program. I am also hoping the two 2018 FR will be in the rotation right away. I honestly think we will be the most improved PAC 12 team next year and finish in the middle of the league. Maybe I'm a homer.
They absolutely lack firepower. I learned with Tad's 2012 men's team that this can be overcome by teams that have grit, play for each other, defend and rebound. You don't need firepower to get stops and take good shots. It limits you because you'll run into teams that will out-talent you by hitting tough shots all night and being able to disrupt the flow of your offense (and then you don't have the firepower to win enough 1-on-1s on offense). But you can win a lot of games playing this way despite the shortcomings.

They absolutely lack firepower. I learned with Tad's 2012 men's team that this can be overcome by teams that have grit, play for each other, defend and rebound. You don't need firepower to get stops and take good shots. It limits you because you'll run into teams that will out-talent you by hitting tough shots all night and being able to disrupt the flow of your offense (and then you don't have the firepower to win enough 1-on-1s on offense). But you can win a lot of games playing this way despite the shortcomings.

We have a problem in the area of rebounding and defense so...

Have pre-game on the radio. Bunn will not be playing due to personal reasons, no Curtis or Diop due to concussion protocol.

Have pre-game on the radio. Bunn will not be playing due to personal reasons, no Curtis or Diop due to concussion protocol.
Hope that Bunn gets it figured out. Otherwise, it's hard to see her returning next season.

Back