1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good article on differences between the 4-3 and the 3-4

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, May 27, 2009.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

This is from the Milwaukee paper, as the Packers are switching to the 3-4. With the Buffs (and Broncos) tinkering with making the switch, it was nice to see an article break it down position by position.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/45873682.html

2. broncos1

broncos1 Member

Thanks...very good writeup

3. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Thanks for the link...

I think many fans say that if you have more talent at linebacker then switch to the 3-4. It is not that simple...I noticed that Casserly said to give yourself 2 years to get it implemented...

Running the 3-4 is a totally different philosophy because you are changing your base defense - it is not like going to the nickel or dime package out of the base defense.

Biggest issues for CU, lack of a true Nose Tackle (think Joel Steed). To me, the NT position is critical to the 3-4. I think you have to have a couple of guys that you can substitute in and out of the game. Second issue, this is a change in defensive philosophy and you have to commit to it not just jump into it once in awhile. Dan Hawkins regime seems to have an issue strongly committing to anything on either offense or defense.

I believe that teams have to know what systems they are trying to run and recruit the talent for their system.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

:nod: Spot on. :smile2:

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

B&G nailed it. The NT is important, as is the pass rushing OLB. We do seem to be targeting bigger DTs and the athletic hybrid DE/OLB prospects.