1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great write-up on Xavier Johnson today

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 22, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://socalrecruitspot.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/xavier-johnson-just-ask-austin/

Breakdown of XJ's game and projecting him to college. Well-done, even if the blogger has a bit of a misconception of CU as being a slow-paced offense (Boyle wants to run and will if he's got the horses). Here's part of the blog:

Most impressive about Xavier Johnson’s game is his “easy athleticism”. Take a couple looks at “the Dunk” and you start to realize how effortlessly, and under control, he dribbles down court and quietly explodes to the rim. There’s potential for significant versatility given his length, quickness, and body control. Although my initial read raised concerns regarding his fit with Colorado, further review revealed the upside of the decision. Johnson will receive effective coaching, will play in a disciplined system, and will not be thrust into a high pressure role until ready. He has the talent to succeed early in his NCAA career, but for the long-term development of his skill-set, I think he’ll benefit in being afforded time to transition to the next level. By the start of his Junior season I fully expect Johnson to serve as the keystone of Colorado’s game-plan and PAC-12 success. He’s too talented, too focused, and too driven not to succeed.

2. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

I'm sure this guy just did a cursory look at our Kenpom profile. 189th in Adj Tempo last year, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Our commitment on defense can force more time off the clock, leaving potential possessions out there. When the ball is in our hands, we're looking to attack, and quickly.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This. I can't remember how many times we got the ball because of a shot clock violation. It was a lot. Or we forced up some seriously crappy shots with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

4. Buffnik

The length of our defensive possessions is also a function of not having the horses we would like. We didn't force a lot of turnovers last year.

5. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

That's fair. Turnover% has been in the 200's each of the past two years, big drop from the Bz era (byproduct of zone?).

6. Buffnik

Zone allowed us to jump passing lanes a bit. With the personnel we've had, it definitely would generate more turnovers.

But I think the biggest issue has been that we haven't had shot blockers on our front line. You can't overplay as much when you don't have a 2nd line of defense that's able to cover your mistakes.