1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growth in Colorado and the region

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Sep 30, 2014.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Colorado is the 4th fastest growing state in the US. Utah is 3rd. North Dakota (1), South Dakota (6), Arizona (8) and Wyoming (10), are all growing rapidly. What kind of short and long term impact might this have on CU athletics and revenue? The positive effects will be a bigger market, more potential in state students, improving high school athletics and, who knows, maybe a chance for more donor dollars down the road. All we have to do is turn these new residents into college football and CU fans!!

Is there a way the CU AD could reach out to new Colorado residents? Maybe send them some CU propaganda and a pair of discount cupons or vouchers for tickets to a game or something.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It means a lot for recruiting and media revenue. Other than the Dakota blip based on oil discoveries, most of the US demographic growth is in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones + Texas.

3. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Driving down I-25 around Lo-Do you can see the big cranes out doing work pretty much everywhere. Lots of construction and lots of dollar's being spent in Denver. That is good news.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I currently have eight construction loans in my portfolio. All single family homes. Ranging from mid 200's up to $860K. Good times have returned.

5. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

I blame Obama.

6. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Wrong forum.

7. sackman

The increased population should help with stuff like media contracts and the like. It's such a Broncos dominated market that I don't know how much of a dent CU would be able to make, though. I think if the folks moving here are already college football fans, that will make the difference. So the question becomes where are the people who move here coming from?

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Wow 8 houses! That is probably between 8 and 40 new people in the metro area. Booming

9. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

What's with the growth in the Dakota's?

10. DBT

Like Nik said. An energy boom. Probably temporary.

11. DBT

Construction loans, man! That means the owner is acting as the contractor. I assume that's a high number. Smart ass.

12. sackman

Not necessarily. Only two loans are with owners. The others are with contractors.

Its a decent number. Back Inna day, I might have had as many as 20 at a time, but things are definitely picking up.

13. DBT

Ahh. Thanks.

14. sackman

Ok smart guy. Figure this - of those eight loans, five are in excess of $700,000. We require a minimum of 20% cash equity into every project. How much do you think those houses will be worth once they're finished? And where, on the economic scale, will those people reside?

15. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

CO population was 3,294,473. Avg Folsom attendance was 51,729

CO population was 5,268,36 Avg Folsom attendance was 38,462

So if we ever get football going again you can extrapolate that predicted attendance would be 60% higher than the Natty year. That's ~82,766. Just look at the attendance that Tad has created.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  16. Buffnik

Got to get their kids.

17. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Wrong answer from Looney Buff.

18. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Can't wait to join you guys!

My buddy got a mailing that had a CU football player and the back of the jersey had his last name. It was a nice touch for a new guy from out of state. He said he'd be a CU based on that from here on out. Now I just have to get him to attend some games with me

19. Buffnik

There has also been a consumer preference shift away from going to stadiums for games. Attendance is down around the nation despite population growth. It's just really nice to watch the game on the 50" flat screen and expensive HD you've invested in.

The key is to get to where CU can maintain a crowd of 45-60k, but do it with premium seating and concessions that make it more profitable than 100k fans in bleacher seats. The larger population and booming state economy make that very feasible.

20. tante

They will reside in the houses once they are built. Any more brain busters?

21. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Most are likely coming from the apathetic left coast with some Texans and Midwesterners with other loyalties. We'll have more backyard talent to recruit, that's the main positive.

22. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Sure. So with that great point we could still anticipate 60-65k ... obviously the caveat is a top10 program.

23. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Rosstr - what is your alternative plan?

24. tante

Has a population boost helped Arizona State? The phoenix keep area has been blowing up for several decades.

25. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

The biggest problem that CU has is the Broncos. Look at the top 25 teams in the country right now. Only 2 of the top 25 teams are in a market where there is an nfl in their metro area (Stanford #14 and TCU #25).

26. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

No. The apathy for ASU athletics is truly astounding. ASU couldn't sell out the UCLA game, which is pathetic considering they could fill the stadium with the current enrolled students alone (about 70,000). A lot of "fake" ASU fans down here. Pitchforks everywhere, but little true support for the program. My understanding is ASU was a bigger draw down here 20 years ago than it is today. Nik probably has it with the HD problem resulting in fewer ticket sales. I think Phoenix is also becoming more of an NFL town, much like Denver.

Nik has it again with the key for CU. We don't need (any may never get) 80,000 on a Saturday. We need to sell 55-60,000 tickets at a premium price. The new additions should help with that.

27. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Guy at work who just moved here had the same thing. Idiot asked me if there was a [his last name] on the team.

28. sackman

The answer is that these will be million dollar homes, with wealthy people living in them. These are exactly the kinds of folks we want moving here.

29. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Why? Are their kids athletic?

30. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

If CU becomes an exciting football team to follow (which needs to happen first), it's reasonable to believe a lot of these new football fans in the state with other loyalties would go to a game provided it doesn't conflict with one their team is playing in. I knew fans of a certain school on the plains who spent that team's bye week tripping to Ft. Fun because a then-interesting Boise State was in town playing. I think CSU made bank on that game because of the opponent. Hopefully we get that secondary market of football fans who will go to see Ralphie and a good ass Pac-12 game scheduled around the actual time they want to be following their own team. Maybe we even get fans who are largely NFL fans with little college affiliaton who still want something to take their families to on a Saturday. But if we can market something that will actually entertain and not be another watered down atmosphere with a home team getting its skulls caved in then we're going to fill the seats, maybe even sell quite a bit of additional merchandise.