1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guard question Yaz vs Talton

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by absinthe, Mar 17, 2016.

1. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Similar builds, different games, differing expectations. Who has a better Soph season for the Buffs when we look back this time next year? Yaz or XT's former soph season?

here they were as frosh:
    Yaz - 38% of minutes played - Otrg of 91.5 - shot 40% efg - 68% FT - 28% 3pt - 3.8 ppg .9 TO 1.5rpg
    XT - 18% of minutes played - Otrg of 92.4 - shot 56% efg - 44% FT - 50% 3pt - 1.5 ppg .5 TO .68rpg

Yaz certainly got more burn than Talton did as a frosh, rebounded marginally better and turned the ball over less.

XT as a Soph: 51% of minutes - Otrg of 96.0 - shot 50% efg - 67% FT - 44% 3pt - 4.8 ppg .1.4 TO 1.7rpg

Talton progressed a limited amount statistically from freshman to sophomore season before dropping off a cliff jr year, but a lot of that is accounted for in the 250% increase in his minutes year over year, Yaz has gotten a lot more burn so he couldn't see his minutes increase that way but given he plays 50% of minutes available to him next year like Talton did as a Soph - how do you think he finishes out?

2. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

What is going on with the mods and thread titles tonight?

Take a break. The tournament will be back tomorrow.

3. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

I think Yaz is definitely a superior talent, and will have a better soph, junior, and senior year than Talton.

...that is assuming that Yaz continues to see a lot of court time, because who knows, maybe Tad recruits over him?

4. absinthe

fixed

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Good question. Surprising how close they were efficiency wise in some ways. Give me yaz. He's not going to shoot like this again

6. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Yaz gets in the lane easier as a freshman that Talton ever did. TadBall needs a PG like that. Talton played well enough as an underclassmen to create some moderately high expectations, and then crashed his junior year. Better this year, but certainly not the player we were hoping for. Hopefully Yaz can avoid that.

7. Buff_nc

Buff_nc Club Member Club Member

I forgot how bad XT was at FT his freshman year (though I remember the turnovers).

Cudos to him for improving that has much as he did, particularly for his senior year. Must have put in the work.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I hope the new guys are really good.

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Thomas has much more size to defend and get into the lane. I hope his shooting improves, but also hope we don't need him to be a really good shooter. Be a solid backup PG for 3 years by taking care of the ball, locking down who he's guarding, provide a spark off the bench with drives to the basket and dishing to our scorers. If he meets that, I'll be extremely happy with his career here.

absinthe, Goose and Buffnik like this.
  10. absinthe

Agreed although him getting to say 33% from three would be a huge help, he doesn't need to be great but good enough to keep guys honest and help to open up that drive to the lane.