1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess the Attendance: Stanford

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by StormTrooper, Jan 24, 2016.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Millennial Liason Club Member

7pm on a Wednesday. No conflicts or excuses. Still lots of unsold tickets at the moment.

2. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

4. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

5. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Personally, I have rearranged my schedule to make attending this one possible. Games only get bigger from here, and beating the cardinal sets up a large rematch on Sunday.

6. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

10500!!!

7. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

9. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

10. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

11. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

12. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

13. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

9347. Feeling like this will be a good crowd.

14. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

15. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

If I had to guess after attending then I'd say 7500. Tad deserves better.

16. NBDefektor

NBDefektor Well-Known Member

from watching it on TV and hearing the crowd, I'd estimate about maybe 750.

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Still tickets for Cal.

18. StormTrooper

8,001 was the number. Not a great showing from either the general public or the students, though there were more people actually there than Oregon or Oregon State. Cal looks to be selling well. It had better be damn near sold out. When are people going to get behind this team?

Average of 12 guesses was 9,274. We were all too optimistic. Nobody guessed under the actual number.
    Closest was Darth Snow.

19. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

Utah had over 13,000 for their game last night. They draw that many for gymnastics too. Boulder is just too hip for this college sports stuff

20. Darth Snow

ugh. crowd and students were sort of there. The crop of students we have this year are very quiet even when they do fill in (usually around half time).

21. Shldr2Shldr

Not nearly drunk enough.

hokiehead likes this.
  22. Darth Snow

No kidding. Sitting down every break (except for the front 2 rows). They all know the free throw thing though. I think the band needs to be used more.

chitownbuff likes this.
  23. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

AllBuffs should supply cases of Four Loko to the student section

chitownbuff likes this.
  24. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

Agreed. My friend asked the tubas why they don't spin faster anymore and they didn't appreciate that much. Outside of the, "You can't touch him there" after every opposing foul, they're more interested in creepy flirting with each other than the game.

25. Shldr2Shldr

The change in directors has changed the dynamic of the band. Also some outside factors have limited what they can do. They used to really drive the student section response and were told to cut it out. Like the drum set rim shots after a foul to encourage a response from the student section for example. Gone. They have also had band donors say they would cut their donations if the band didn't stop playing x, y, z. Ridiculous PC sports culture...

C-Unit being wrangled by the AD isn't helping either. They play much nicer with others than they did in the past. Noticed limited amount of big heads, few costumes, few choreographed cheers... The AD has done a poor job of cultivating the culture within the student section. I am not sure we will ever see it like it was a few years ago. Not until the AD makes a choice that they want that type of home court. They are too concerned with making sure the students are "family friendly"

26. Darth Snow

This is godawful. @RumblinBuff, fix this!

27. Shldr2Shldr

@StormTrooper @CUnit and whatever other student leadership is on this board. What do you guys need to make the section what it should be? Is it funds, support, etc?

If its fund raising, what kind of avenues do you have to do that? I know you can't go ask for dollars from sponsors and I know they won't ear mark donations for you guys either. Would some other avenue like Kick Starter work?

If its support, who does the fan base need to direct their emails to?

28. Shldr2Shldr

The former band director, Dr. Dana Biggs, is a huge basketball fan. Graduated from Kentucky. In the spirit squad coordination meetings he would really stand up and fight for what he knew created a great college basketball atmosphere. Didn't hurt that Bohn was in favor of that kind of stuff anyway. The new director and the new AD I don't think are too concerned with it. At least not right now.

29. StormTrooper

Everything C-Unit and Folsom Frenzy does has to go through marketing. We can't interact with potential sponsors as independent agents. Also, C-Unit had an official T-shirt each of the first two years I was at CU. There were also 10,000 shirts for whiteout/blackout games provided through a sponsor for a number of years. Those things aren't happening this year, and the explanation we got was basically just "Because".

That said, the sitting down during stoppages in play is BS and has to stop somehow. That's just on the students completely. I did notice that in the last 10 minutes of the Oregon game the students stayed standing pretty much the whole time. Other than that it's been pretty weak this year. When I sit across the court from the student section when I cover games for Ralphie Report I've really been struck by how quiet they've been for the most part.

This year just didn't have a huge early season non-conference game that was fun to entice them for the rest of the year and make people feel like they were missing out if they didn't go to basketball games. Three years ago there was the CSU game, two years ago there was Kansas, and last year there was even the Auburn game, which had a packed and rowdy student section.

I will say that the student sections for conference play are vastly improved over where they were at this point last season. The Washington State, Cal, Stanford and Arizona State games last year were all pathetic showings. I think this year has been a lot about re-establishing CU basketball and rebuilding trust with the fanbase after last year. Neither the students or the community have bought in as quickly as I was hoping they would, but I think you could really see the benefits next year if the team finishes this season strong and in the NCAA tournament. Season ticket sales will go up and students, who have memories like goldfish, will tell freshmen that our basketball team is "good" instead of "terrible" based on their one year recollections.

SuperiorBuff, Goose and chitownbuff like this.
  30. Shldr2Shldr

This is kind of where my question was aimed at. You guys cannot seek sponsors or donations because it all has to go through the AD right? Could you perhaps get funds through kickstarter, then buy your own, non sponsored gear for giveaways? I mean hell could you have a car wash or something? There is no reason, as a student group, that you shouldn't be able to try and acquire funds.