What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gus Johnson

Idot Buff

I really enjoyed the broadcast team for the Washington St. game. Typically, I mute the sound because I cannot stand listening to Yogi or whatever no name is doing the game. I have already mentioned that Joel was great yesterday, but Gus was superb. What a unique call of the game. Check this out (thanks to Nik for retweeting this last night).

He can be a bit much (over sensational) but I like the enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Hahaha that was hilarious. That's a great crew, I was almost sad not to see the broadcast. But going is so much better

I've always enjoyed listening to Gus. He has unbridaled enthusiasm and can make a boring game sound fun. I hope this crew calls the game on Saturday. Klatt has really turned into a good color guy too.

I have to admit that there were times I was VERY annoyed with Mr Johnson. He has this awful habit of calling what is going to happen on a play before it does. Including saying Sefo would be short of a first down before the play was over only to have Sefo push the pile four yards down field and calling a play a touchdown before a WSU WR caught the ball only to have the ball dropped. He also called out Joel for the ONE time in the game Joel said us instead of CU. Really Gus, after flubbing two calls yourself you're going to call Joel out for one error? Otherwise he was good and I think both he and Joel did a nice job of leaning towards WSU a little in their announcing to be certain that no one thought Joel was being a homer.

I have to admit that there were times I was VERY annoyed with Mr Johnson. He has this awful habit of calling what is going to happen on a play before it does. Including saying Sefo would be short of a first down before the play was over only to have Sefo push the pile four yards down field and calling a play a touchdown before a WSU WR caught the ball only to have the ball dropped. He also called out Joel for the ONE time in the game Joel said us instead of CU. Really Gus, after flubbing two calls yourself you're going to call Joel out for one error? Otherwise he was good and I think both he and Joel did a nice job of leaning towards WSU a little in their announcing to be certain that no one thought Joel was being a homer.

I wasn't annoyed by Gus at all, but I could see myself being annoyed if my team was getting blown out in a game. I watched the recording when I got home last night. Gus said Joel said "we" and had been good up to that point. I rewound the recording and Joel did no such thing. That's probably why he suggested that they go back and check the tapes. At times, Gus sure seemed more like the homer than Joel.

I called Sefo down before the first down and Marks for the TD before he caught it as well. Everyone did.

I wasn't annoyed by Gus at all, but I could see myself being annoyed if my team was getting blown out in a game. I watched the recording when I got home last night. Gus said Joel said "we" and had been good up to that point. I rewound the recording and Joel did no such thing. That's probably why he suggested that they go back and check the tapes. At times, Gus sure seemed more like the homer than Joel.
Glad you checked the recording. I was sure that Joel did not say "we".

Had a hard time listening to Klatt yesterday. He did more than a fine job remaining objective, sounding more like a former WSU player than a former CU player throughout most of the game. In other words, he did a great job. Just hard for me to listen to a fellow Buff talk that way. (I.e., I know this is a "me" problem.)

Klatt kept ****ing up Sefo's last name, it's pronounced G.O.A.T. (no but seriously he kept calling him Loo-foe). Also screwed up some other names. Plus he kept sucking Falk off even when he missed throws.

I've always enjoyed listening to Gus. He has unbridaled enthusiasm and can make a boring game sound fun. I hope this crew calls the game on Saturday. Klatt has really turned into a good color guy too.
Unfortunately we get Brady "Can't Count" Quinn and crew.

How I pictured Klatt in the booth, after a CU TD, before taking a breath and making a calm objective comment.
giphy.gif

I have never been able to stand Gus calling a football game. Basketball I will agree he is great, but for me his style just doesn't translate over. Especially when he sounds like he is about to make some grandiose statement, and then then there is a pause and something totally bizarre comes out.

I also feel the same way about Joe Buck. Good at baseball, not at football.

Back