1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hank Gathers.

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by BuffLuKe, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Well, I think it's been 25 years now. You younger guys on the board that didn't see these guys, it was amazing. They averaged well over 100 a game, played at a break neck pace. Never seen a team like that and then Hank died. Watch tonight if you don't know the story.

Hoops Fan likes this.
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Thanks for the heads up. Loyola-Marymount was THE story in college hoops for a couple years... from the funnest show to tragedy that broke my heart.

3. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I second Luke's post, but unfortunately did not get to watch LMU when they were running with Hank and Bo. Guru of Go was a great 30 For 30 piece and I'm glad they're showing it again to mark this anniversary.

4. BuffLuKe

I was really young but I remember it well. They put a beating on Michigan who'd won the title the year before. 149- 115, that's crazy.

5. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

Jeff fryer is the uncle of one of my good friends at CU. Fryer was the guy who hit all the 3's against Michigan. He came up and I was at her house. I wasn't born yet but i saw some tape. That was a fun team to watch.

6. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Wow. That was some fun to watch back in the day. Shame, in his passing, but Hank kicked A** while he had the floor. Was fun to watch him and team shock opponents.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I know that LM was before the time of a lot of folks here. The thing I remember that can give you the best idea of how crazy and revolutionary their run 'n gun style was, you have to remember that this is not too long after NC State won a national title by stalling and fouling to disrupt Phi Slamma Jamma... Dean Smith was running a 4 corners offense to lull teams to sleep. The book was that this was how you win. Then LM re-wrote the book. They would actually let teams score in order to speed them up, countering with a quick inbounds off the make to push the ball the other way into a quick shot. No one knew how to deal with that at the time.

8. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

Loved watching LMU play. It was new and fun to watch. Then poor Hank ....

9. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

That Michigan game in the tournament was unreal. You'd see the score and figure a lot of time had passed since you last looked at the clock, and maybe 2 or 3 minutes had gone by. Just relentless.

[video=youtube;P52H4x7ZdH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P52H4x7ZdH0[/video]

10. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

25 years? Holy **** am I old.

11. BuffLuKe

25 years yesterday man and I had the same thought lol. Long time since little league.