1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headed to Eugene. Any advice for places to hang out?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Bisonic, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Bisonic

Bisonic Member

I can hear it now - stay away from Autzen at Noon Pacific on Saturday. But hey, we're committed and we're Buffs. I'll cheer our guys on whenever they give me reason to do so. Hopefully we move the ball on these guys the way we did last Saturday.

So are there any "can't miss" spots around Eugene and near the stadium? From Google Earth I don't see any Uni Hill type neighborhoods close by the stadium, so any strategy advice is appreciated.

PS I think I'll skip the CU pre-game. $35 is steep (times four), plus kickoff is at noon. I'd rather just walk around with my crew & take in the surroundings.

Thanks for any advice. Go Buffs - Whack the Quack Attack.

Clean Undies likes this.
  2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

walk campus, find RV's, look for CU flags. hope you make friends with CU tailgater.

Report back.

3. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

The morgue.

4. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I think the report back part is optional.

5. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Bisonicvision?

Snap a few creeper shots to keep the miscreants happy.

6. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

fify

7. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

I'll be there - not sure why now, but perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment. :bang:

A CU at the Game mousepad for any Buff fan who makes the trip and comes up and tells me they are from AllBuffs. Come find me in the CU section (Section 29, Row 39 - the guy with the CU at the Game hat), and you'll have at least one souvenir which may be worth keeping (I'm guessing the game ticket will not be worth preserving for history) :thumbsup:

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Bisonicvision?

Post pics of hot chicks, bar hopping, running from cops, getting drunk, without being a [redacted] ***** about it.

9. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Advice? Don't go to the game.

10. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Have a reputation for delivering awesome content, get 15+ reps, don't deliver anything. Enjoy being awesome.

11. Bisonic

Bisonic Member

Taking pictures of drunk little hotties probably won't fly with my traveling party, which includes my wife. I'd like to help you guys in that regard but hell, I can do that in Folsom (with better success.)

There are a bunch of brewpubs in town, which is cool. I just don't see much very close to the stadium. I'm not sure I want to wander through a sea of green tailgaters blowing smack at me. We'll see how it goes, and I will indeed report back.

Last year we traveled to Stanford. We got hammered in that one too but I really liked the stadium. Very comfy, understated place. And they put on a nice halftime show for the Buffs fans too. (Being new to the 12Pac and all.) It was kind of a tour around the league, with the punchline that we all have something in common: A hatred of USC.

PS Montana - I may come say hi. Thanks for the generosity.

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

You might want to try posting on an Oregon board.

13. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

The whole Alumni Pre-Game Tailgate is a complete racket and pisses me off the school charges so much to attend....It's not like the plane tickets, hotel tickets, and inflated game tickets where you're subjected to the worst seats in the stadium aren't enough of a cost, then they try to gouge you just to hang out with any fellow travelers in return for a hotdog and a drink....This thing was actually $50 last week for USC, so must have had an inflated California tax on it as well :rolling_eyes:

14. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I'd stay as far away as possible from Autzen Stadium.

15. Bisonic

Bisonic Member

Yeah that's exactly the conclusion I came to after last year @ Stanford. It was $35 for some salad and burgers, a few speeches, and a cash bar. Plus we didn't get a chance to tour the campus. (Our bad - we stuck around there too long.)

PS get this - the game tickets for OR were $88! I've never paid that much for a regular season game anywhere (and I've been to a lot over the years.)

16. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

CU team bus will be arriving about 8 minutes after kickoff.

17. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I usually find someplace to eat on the fifth Street Public Market. It's still good around there, overall, though not great like it used to be. Restaurants still tend to be good.

Most often, when I'm in town, I grab a fly rod and head up the McKenzie--it's a pretty magic river to my way of thinking, and good fishing/scenery starts as close as Springfield.

You can always visit Cottage Grove (it's pretty blue collar) and see the site of the parade from Animal House.

18. Bisonic

Bisonic Member

Thanks - that's exactly what I'm after. When you travel all the way there, you want to get a feel for the town. I appreciate the advice - I'll take it with me.

19. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Take pics of the Oregon dance team at least

20. Walter White

Walter White Member

AMEN!! And this is why my interest in college football is on the downswing. It's all about separating you from your money.

21. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

You seem aloof.

22. Walter White

Walter White Member

4034910525_bd0d99d23f.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    NW Buff likes this.
  23. Walter White

Walter White Member

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

24. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

About 20 years ago, I lived a couple of blocks from the Fifth Street Public Market (my wife is a duckling). I haven't been back so my knowledge is highly dated, but I believe the Steelhead Brewery is probably still there for a beer and pub food if that's your thing. From there, you can walk up High Street about three or four blocks to end up in Skinner Butte park right on the Willamette River. The park is good for a easy stroll by the river and there is a loop trail that goes up a little hill. Heading down south from the park, you can walk the Ruth Bascom Bike Path down to the university. Everything is fairly flat and an easy hike for a Buff.

Google map it and you be able to see the Fifth Street Public Market, Skinner Butte Park, and the Bascom bike path to the U.

Pack some light rain gear. Have fun.

25. tante

Rouge is a great brewery and they have a location in Eugene and you should try Ninkasi if you like a good Northwest IPA.

26. Bisonic

Bisonic Member

Awesome. More great info. I'm pretty sure Steelhead is still there; I saw it on some map that I looked at over the last few days. My strategy is coming together! And yes I'll try to get some photos of the dance team. I just have to remember to come back to my seats armed with nachos.

27. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

JMHO, put if you get on the campus side of town, the Hayward Field (yes, the track facility) is worth walking by and taking a look at- they hosted the US Track and Field team qualification meet there this year (I think they do every year, but I'm not sure). It's pretty cool.

Trivia: Autzen Stadium is the football stadium in that movie. Autzen opened up in 1967 (I think). Guess who played in the first game? CU vs. the University of Oregon. Buffs won 17-13.

28. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

If you go to Rogue, do NOT try their Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale. It sounds good, but it tastes like cough syrup with liquid smoke poured in. Unpleasant.

29. tante

Bad advice. Don't get a full pint or a bomber but this exactly the kind of beer you want to sample. It smells like maple syrup and has a smokey taste. Did not get a huge amount of sweetness in mine.

30. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I would also avoid the beer made from beard yeast.