What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here we go again, another SI article.....

Tumpkin was never a candidate for the permanent DC job. Completely false.
The media, including the in-house CU media, was pushing that for about a month until they found out about what was going on. But neither MacIntyre nor George ever said a word about the bowl game being an audition or ever mentioned him as an interim DC... while stressing that there would be a national search.

The media, including the in-house CU media, was pushing that for about a month until they found out about what was going on. But neither MacIntyre nor George ever said a word about the bowl game being an audition or ever mentioned him as an interim DC... while stressing that there would be a national search.

Some fans wanted him to be the hire.

Some fans wanted him to be the hire.
For sure. I was in the camp that he'd earned consideration and had a resume for the position which justified it, but I wanted HCMM to look at outside candidates before making a decision. After seeing the way the defense played in the bowl game, that ended my desire for him to be considered (before I even knew about the DV issues). Now I suspect that his DV issues were a distraction to him and that he did not coach at his best. Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what we know now, it would have been better if HCMM had put JT on leave, coordinated the defense himself, and had Taye assist with DBs while Chidera assisted with LBs as on-field coaches.

Just heard Rocky from Hygene call Irv and Joe. Rocky is a long time caller and a big Buff fan. I think he may be a booster. He seems a bit connected. Anyway, he asked if they'd heard rumors about Rick George and Mac leaving. I don't give Irv and Joe a bit of credence regarding CU anymore. Back in the day they were close to people in the program but no more. But there are surely rumors out there. I would not be shocked at all if Rick left. I'm not sure what he has left to prove in Boulder. They think Mac would jump to the SEC if he has a successful season. Same for Bobo. I have my doubts Mac would, but this Tumpkin bull**** could put him over the top. Why put up with the Boulder BS if you could coach at a football friendly program?

Just heard Rocky from Hygene call Irv and Joe. Rocky is a long time caller and a big Buff fan. I think he may be a booster. He seems a bit connected. Anyway, he asked if they'd heard rumors about Rick George and Mac leaving. I don't give Irv and Joe a bit of credence regarding CU anymore. Back in the day they were close to people in the program but no more. But there are surely rumors out there. I would not be shocked at all if Rick left. I'm not sure what he has left to prove in Boulder. They think Mac would jump to the SEC if he has a successful season. Same for Bobo. I have my doubts Mac would, but this Tumpkin bull**** could put him over the top. Why put up with the Boulder BS if you could coach at a football friendly program?
Irv and Joe are still on the air? They are just doing a heck of a job.

Personally I don't expect Mac to remain at CU very much longer if he continues to win 10 games. On the other hand I would be surprised if George left for another AD job. I think both know they could have done better and made mistakes and they didn't lose their job. Situations like this are gaining heat across the country, not just in Boulder.

Personally I don't expect Mac to remain at CU very much longer if he continues to win 10 games. On the other hand I would be surprised if George left for another AD job. I think both know they could have done better and made mistakes and they didn't lose their job. Situations like this are gaining heat across the country, not just in Boulder.
I think RG would make a helluva GM for, say, an NFL team.

Pretty obvious the writer has an agenda and is trying to stir this story up in the national media in order to gain some sort of recognition as "the guy who broke the story" kind of thing.

I don't get the whole "Rick and MMac" are gonna move on narrative. Rick is at a school he loves and is having great success. MMac is the head coach of a P5 team with (finally) backing from the University and the best facilities in CFB. I honestly have no real insight as to what motivates these kind of people, but from the outside it seems they have pretty cherry jobs.

Based on what?
His knowledge of the sport.
His experience with the Texas Rangers (A major professional sport)
His organizational ability
His vision
His ability to get things done. What he did with the Champion's Center was borderline miraculous, in my opinion.
I played golf with former Bronco GM John Beake once. He was a great guy. But I guarantee you that Rick George would compare extremely well to John Beake.

But thinking about your question, maybe he doesn't have the requisite personnel experience in contract negotiation and talent evaluation.
So, I get your point. But to the point, I could see him ready to move to new challenges, whatever they may be.

Last edited:
His vision
His ability to get things done. What he did with the Champion's Center was borderline miraculous, in my opinion.

But thinking about your question, maybe he doesn't have the requisite personnel experience in contract negotiation and talent evaluation.
So, I get your point. But to the point, I could see him ready to move to new challenges, whatever they may be.
Maybe in a Joe Ellis type role as an NFL team President (much like he was for the Rangers), but he doesn't have any real credentials to be any kind of decision maker about NFL personnel, roster construction, how FA and contracts work, talent evaluation, etc.

His vision

Not downplaying RG's strengths as an executive, but you pretty much lay out why he is not a good fit for a GM position. He definitely has value to any sports organization though.

Not downplaying RG's strengths as an executive, but you pretty much lay out why he is not a good fit for a GM position. He definitely has value to any sports organization though.
If you read his resume, the guy is Midas. Under his leadership, the PGA Tour, Texas Rangers and now the Buffs all increased revenue. He was the recruiting coordinator for CU when we brought in the talent that would eventually win the National Championship. EVERTHING he has touched has turned to gold. One thing they say about a good manager, is that using principles of management, a good manager can manage anything even if they don't understand the business.

If you read his resume, the guy is Midas. Under his leadership, the PGA Tour, Texas Rangers and now the Buffs all increased revenue. He was the recruiting coordinator for CU when we brought in the talent that would eventually win the National Championship. EVERTHING he has touched has turned to gold. One thing they say about a good manager, is that using principles of management, a good manager can manage anything even if they don't understand the business.
That's not what a GM does in the NFL, though. VP of Operations & Business Development? Sure. President? Sure. But not GM. GM would work for him.

The job I'd be more concerned he'd leave for would be conference commissioner.

Reactions: DBT
That's not what a GM does in the NFL, though. VP of Operations & Business Development? Sure. President? Sure. But not GM. GM would work for him.

The job I'd be more concerned he'd leave for would be conference commissioner.
If it's the Pac 12 commish, might not be the worst thing, assuming CU could find an adequate replacement.

Not going to give them a click so going from others postings.

She stated that M2 kept Tumpkins around knowing he was beating on his girlfriend.

1. Is their any evidence at all that he had any idea that domestic violence may be occurring before the victim called him?

2. Is contacting your supervisor immediately after the information became known to him not sufficiently fast for her?

3. Based only on the information he had could M2 have legally responded in a more severe manner?

4. Once it became clear that the police felt the evidence was sufficient to act did CU not respond in an appropriate manner?

Question 1, No, zero
Question 2, Nothing that would indicate in any way that the allegations (and at the time that's all they were) were not acted on quickly, certainly no looking for a way to shove them under the rug.
Question 3, To fire or even suspend somebody in a visible public position without more evidence than the word of the reporting party would set you up for a huge lawsuit.
Question 4, Unlike what Nebraska has done through their history once the police became involved and reasonable cause to act was apparent CU acted to separate themselves completely from Tumpkins

This article coming from a supporter of a school that kept this guy around

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-patriots-giants-rape-kathy-redmond/20502967/

Back