1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holtz: Huskers would be a top 5 team right now

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

If they would have hung on to the win at VT. Calls NU the most surprising team so far.

I would have to agree with him.

2. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call them surprising at this point. A close loss at VT with a team that was appears to have been looking forward to a Miami showdown, and a 4th quarter comeback against a Mizzou team without the magic of Chase Daniels.

Why wouldn't you expect them to be sitting at 4 - 1 right now? With as crappy as we have played so far, with that schedule we might be sitting at 3-2 or 4-1 (if our D showed up and played against Mizzou the way they played against Texass). NOTE: I said might.

I don't know, maybe it is surprising they didn't lose a game to the sun belt. :smile2:

3. HeftyHusker

HeftyHusker Member

We SHOULD have beaten VT, and had them beaten, but ****ed it up. NU secondary sucks as usual.

Anyway, even at 5-0, we're NOT top 5 material just yet. I agree w/ '92, our schedule has been far too easy so far. however, I do like what I'm seeing from the defense. And Zac Lee has a cannon arm. I'll be glad if we can crack the top 10 and win the North.

LongHaulBuff and FlatironsBuff like this.
  4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I think Miami is the most surprising team so far, with Iowa deserving a mention. I'm still not sure how good Iowa is though.

5. Dunken

Dunken Member

I agree, Miami is a big surprise and Iowa is a mystery right now.....with NU secondary they will have to play lights out up front the rest of the yr, but a top 5 team even with a win against VT, no way. Their OOC games are real weak, and they are no surprise for what they have done this yr, they showed promise last yr and it has carried over to this yr.

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yea, Iowa had an impressive win at Happy Valley but they also had near-miss losses against Northern Iowa and Arkansas State. :wtf: I'm calling for them to lose at Wiscy tomorrow and wouldn't even be surprised if they lost at Michigan State the following week. Plus they still have to go to Columbus.

7. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

You aren't a top 5 team when you haven't beaten a team that ended the season ranked in 8 years.

8. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

The Huskers season started with a win over Missouri, and will end when the NU vs CU game is over:smile: It comes down to conference play

9. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

so, your saying that knu wont make a bowl? geez!!! how bad are they going to be in big XII play?

i thought the buffs fans were down on there team but, thats a bit extreem, hm.

:smile2:

10. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

This guy is smart! :cool: He can stick around...

11. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Huskers are having a nice year so far. Who knows what happens if they win against Va Tech, though. Maybe they don't come out hungry against Mizzou or aren't as focused on finishing the game strong. You never know. I think they're ranked about where they should be.

12. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

They've got 9-3 potential if they handle their business against Tech and do something unspeakable around Thanksgiving, or pull of a surprise against OU or KU. Cotton or Holiday in their future if they do that. Of course, hit a few snags and worst case they're looking at 7-5 and Sun Bowl.

13. huskermike

huskermike Member

Personally I don't think a win at KU would be a surprise at all. If we beat Tech I think the Huskers will be favored in every remaining game except Oklahoma.

Edit: But they shouldn't be ranked in the top 5. I'm ok with 15 for now. We don't know anything yet.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  14. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Who gives a ****?

15. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

This is just stupid. Firstly, 15 points and a porous secondary doesn't "deserve" anything, and leash, you really need to let this fusker love go...

Holtz also said tonight "Notre Dame has a great offense led by a QB." He's a damn genius.

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Good point. WTF are we doing talking about Nebraska? :lol:

17. west coast

west coast Guest

u call miami the most suprising and they got their ass kicked by VT??

18. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

I think UH has a crush on the fuskers:smile2:

19. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

I thought the Huskers exposed VT's overrated status well, but the Husker coaching staff decided they weren't interested in winning, relying on unimaginative offense play-calling and pretending an already well-known slow secondary to A Single Big Play Defeat.

I've hated hearing Pellini claim "if not for one play!" when in fact he had 40-50 chances to do many, many different things. It was HIS choice to leave the game dangling for a "one play defeat" and he got what he wanted.

It wasn't just a slow secondary - the D-Linemen were prissin' and prancin' around, trying to out-juke the QB instead of driving for him and keeping him running. Instead, they decided to give him enough time to look all over the field and find the open receiver.

Neb had so many chances to make correct decisions, but they decided to lose instead. Best of luck - leaving choices to the other team is the best way to decide to lose.

20. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Good post, and I just wanted to say that it is nice that even the NU cheerleaders have made it over to Allbuffs!!:smile2:

Welcome rep!

21. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I can't beleive that we think we can win against KU this week and that NU would be an underdog. OU may be a bit better-- depends on where they play (and I am not going to go look it up). At NU and NU has a decent chance of beating them, away and maybe not so much.

NU is where CU should be right now. Not a MNC contender, but much improved from 3 years ago. CU is where we all hoped NU would fall to when they hired Pelini.

No Fusker love there-- just the facts as I see them. Now I will wait for DBT to come call me a bad fan and polish Hawks knob some more.:smile2:

22. huskermike

huskermike Member

Your DL analysis is entirely wrong. The game plan was to contain Tyrod Taylor's running ability and not open running lanes. The whole point was to make him try to beat Nebraska with his arm. Unfortunately he was able to do so.

That said, the defensive game plan was damn near perfect . . . other than being in a cover 2 when VaTech had to go deep.

23. DallasFlier

DallasFlier Member

I've heard comparisons saying Callahan was our John Blake and in Pelini we found our Bob Stoops. Here's hoping that since its looking like Hawkins is your Callahan, that CU finds your Stoop/Pelini to replace him soon!

24. aik

Oh, I don't expect them to be the underdog next month. They could be ranked #1 for all I care. I just consider one outcome of that game to be unspeakable, regardless.

25. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle.

26. aik

Yeah, to this point USC and LSU are probably in the top 3.