1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best to build a college football coaching staff?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

In the NFL, assistants don't do draft pick scouting or have anything to do with attracting free agents to sign with the team. Their entire job description is focused on player development, implementation of schemes, and game planning.

College, of course, is different. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program.

As I saw brought up on Rivals, the conventional wisdom in NFL circles is that a college head coach should build his staff of 10 assistants as follows:

1. Hire 2 guys who are great at x's & o's, game planning and play calling to be your coordinators. If you get anything from them on recruiting, it's a bonus.

2. Hire 8 other guys who are dynamic recruiters. Then, when it comes to player development, just make sure you're "coaching the coaches" so that they're following marching orders to implement techniques the way you and your coordinators want things done.

Within that, the special teams coordinator is primarily a recruiter also so the HC would have to be more hands on with scheme and technique there.

The more I think about this, the more I agree with it.

And that leads me to have some serious questions about the assistant coaches on the CU staff. I think that many of them excel more at the teaching aspect of coaching than they do the recruiting aspect... and this isn't the NFL.

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Bring in ones who are good at cheating,

3. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

^^^^This /thread

4. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I don't see any way that can go wrong!

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don't think it is realistic to expect every position coach to be a dynamic recruiter.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That's the way James Franklin does it. It's possible.

Maybe "dynamic" was a poor word choice? I was thinking in terms of "passionate" or "tireless" or "organized" or "smart". Someone you want both in the meeting room when evaluating film & stacking your board as well as someone you want talking to parents, recruits and HS coaches.

I'm thinking that at minimum you want assistants to be as focused on recruiting and as good at it as a guy like Kent Riddle, who had been a recruiting coordinator at Army and was good at the recruiting game. Bernardi from the current staff fits that description. I don't know if "dynamic" is the right way to describe either of those guys, but they're good recruiters to have among the assistant coaches.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Kent Riddle was too busy running clinics to recruit. Everybody knows this.

8. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I dunno, aren't there many more salesmen than brilliant football minds? I've worked in sales for most of my working life, it seems like there are a lot of people who have great interpersonal skills and a way with words than people who are innovative with X's and O's. Guys can learn a system and they can pass along techniques they've been told. That's easily learned, but being a natural salesman? That's something you're born with.

9. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Not if you're in the SEC !

Only two SEC recruiting rules:

1) There are no rules; and

2) See Rule No. 1

h/t to Old No 10

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  10. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no formula. And I disagree you cannot teach people to do sales - some are going to be better than others but it is a matter of learning the right techniques.

11. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

This. Obviously as Duff mentioned, it is very difficult to assemble a staff like that, but it can be done.

FYI - If I hear one more person say we need a dynamic recruiter at the DC, I will throw myself through a wall!

12. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

You know the one thing we need is a dynamic recruiter at the DC.

13. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I really think we need a dynamic recruiter at the DC

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  14. Mr. Babar

Mr. Babar I have no elephant books Club Member

It hasn't been said for a while, but hopefully our next DC is a dynamic recruiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

AllBuffs should make a t-shirt...

16. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Ok boss, as long as you say so.

17. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

**** YOU!!!!! I endorse this plan........ **** YOU ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!

18. bigskybuff

bigskybuff Club Member Club Member

I think you're way off base on this. I assume you come from the Operations side of your work. The difference between someone that you have to train to sell versus a natural salesman is astronomical. 2 great salesmen on this staff, along with the new facilities, Boulder ect... We could be bringing in 4-6 4* players a year. I think MMac is a really good coach. We just need some closers.

19. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I am the perfect example. I am not a natural sales person but I was trained to use the things I was good at - like relating to people and listening. I found I was really good at sales using what I was comfortable with. I would have less opportunities that some but had a very high close rate. As I said some are going to be better than others but I think you will find a lot of sales people had to be trained plus there are a lot of bad sales people out there.