1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we finish?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by CVilleBuff, Jan 13, 2013.

?

Final Regular Season Pac-12 Record

Poll closed Jan 16, 2013.
  1. 7-11

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 8-10

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 9-9

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 10-8

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. 11-7

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. 12-6

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. 13-5

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

So, this hasn't been the start to the Pac-12 season we had hoped for. We're 1-3 and now forced to head on the road on a tricky 2 game swing. Does this team claw its way back, or does the bottom fall out (so speak) with our inability to win on the road coupled with an inability to protect the Keg as successfully as recent seasons? Personally, I have a hard time seeing us finish better than 10-8 at this point, but I'd love to be wrong.

2. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

Inside, duh.

3. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'm thinking 10-8 as well, but 11-7 wouldn't surprise me either. I think we finish 7-2 at home. The question, as always, is the road. At Washington has now turned into a loss - they're playing really well. But Washington State is winnable, as is Utah, Oregon State and Stanford. It won't be easy, but take those four and we're sitting pretty again.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

we rally and go 11-7, go to the NIT, and people freak out about it.

5. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

I think 11-7. But the P12 bottom dwellers are better this year, there are no gimmie wins this year.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I see an 10-8 finish for some reason. 1-3 (possibly 1-5) is a deep hole to dig from.

7. CVilleBuff

Yep, unfortunately Washington has turned it on. Very impressive start to Pac-12 play for them. Not out the question that they're due for an off-night, but we desperately need to find a W at Wazzu

8. CVilleBuff

11-7 has us safe for NCAA Tournament. JMHO. (Of course there are a ton of variables, but generally speaking)

9. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

11-7 better get the Buffs into the NCAA tournament!! That would be a serious screw job if it didn't, especially given the Buffs RPI.

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

well, when you keep getting ****ed, at some point you s hould just expect it.

11. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

We could be 1-5 after this Saturday, so I don't know how anyone can project more than 10 wins. That's a huge hole to dig out of for this team with no upperclassmen leadership, and we are not playing anywhere near our best bball.

I think best case is 10-8 and worst case is 7-11, so I will pick .500, 9-9, which means we will win two road games (at Utah, and maybe at Oregon State without Moreland?), and I hope we can steal one this week. Neither Washington nor Wash State are world beaters this year. That would really help this team's confidence. We aren't nearly as good as the Charleston Tourney indicated. The team is talented enough to beat anyone home or away, but we don't have the will to put away teams at home or on the road, so no leads are safe with this team.

We aren't a tourney team right now, and unless we pull off a miracle in the Pac 12 tourney, we aren't a tourney team this year unfortuntaly. The Pac 12 isn't strong enough yet to just get away with winning one or two road games and making the tourney. Our RPI is inflated no doubt, and CSU showed last year that you can sneak into the tourney without winning on the road with its inflated RPI, so maybe we can replicate that?

As with all of Boyle's teams, we will improve as the year goes on, but unless we somehow win on the road this week, we won't win more than 9 games in conference.

12. CVilleBuff

The more I think about it, the more I think a road win comes our way this week. Trust CVille logic.

13. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Remember, 5 of our last 7 are at home. While there are at least 3 road losses still on the schedule, I bet we close strong and finish 11-7 or 12-6. essentially in-line with projections.

This trip to the Washingtons, with both being winnable, will go a long way towards telling us how it's gonna be.

14. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Would that be assuming that CU improves at the free throw line?

15. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

The free throw shooting isn't that bad. Take out the 22% FT shooting in the win over Baylor and CU's FT % is 72% on the season, that would put them in the top 1/3rd in DI.

RumblinBuff likes this.
  16. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

We were great against UCLA. I'm with JG, it's not as big a deal as is often cited. Ski is slowly returning to form, which makes the overall picture better.

17. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

I agree with this. One of my biggest concerns before was Ski's regression at the line. With him shooting better, we're not that bad, with the exception of Dre and XJ.

18. CVilleBuff

Wish I was as relaxed about FT's as you guys are. I think it's brutal and stats aren't making me see the light!! Let's prove we have some stones (and focus) by shooting 75% from the charity stripe on the road this week and I'll be on board. We'll get at least 1 win if we can manage to shoot 70% or better (assuming it isn't something like 40 FT's for the home team to 8 for CU). Somebody PLEASE help XJ

19. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

We gotta win out at home and pick up 3 wins on the road. 11-7.

20. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The run has to start in Washington.

21. iSmellChip

iSmellChip Well-Known Member

I say we either finish 11-7 or 12-6 I think they will get their **** together.

22. CVilleBuff

Exactly my train of thought. We've got to get at least one. Time to step up