What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How do we improve in 2014 (Offense)

No it's more of the fact that you just can't accept anyone else's view, especially if they happen to be positive. Your **** gets old. Who cares if I'm a homer? It's a Buff board. Doesn't it ever get old complaining all the time? Where's the fun in being a pissy negative person all the damn time?

If you had to gamble on this scenario here and which one would be the better unit...

1. A LB crew composed of Webb, Gillam, Greer/Daigh
2. A LB crew composed of Rippy, Gillam, Greer

Which would you take? #2 would be the smart bet to me
Having never seen Rippy play, I honestly don't know. Webb wasn't good, but you are basing a lot on Rippy being good. He could be terrible. He may never play. And isn't Daigh a Junior?

And your "complaining all the time" schtick is obviously meant for someone else. I'm less positive than you, but then, that's not a high bar :lol:

Besides, that's just a stupid comment. Don't you ever get tired of being ridiculously positive (delusional?) only to be disappointed 99% of the time?

We somehow need to land Devon Blackmon. That's the only way we replace PRich's athleticism and don't end up having a very bad WR corps. Spruce is the only receiving threat we have coming back.

I don't even know what to say about OL. I guess Maximus the Great is pretty optimistic towards them for next year. Yay.

Having never seen Rippy play, I honestly don't know. Webb wasn't good, but you are basing a lot on Rippy being good. He could be terrible. He may never play. And isn't Daigh a Junior?

And your "complaining all the time" schtick is obviously meant for someone else. I'm less positive than you, but then, that's not a high bar :lol:

Besides, that's just a stupid comment. Don't you ever get tired of being ridiculously positive (delusional?) only to be disappointed 99% of the time?

You're right, I am basing my evaluations of Rippy off of basically nothing. I do know a few things though...

1. Webb was a undersized and slow OLB who was a complete liability in the passing game. Rippy is a tall LB who has speed and is very athletic
2. I know rankings are whatever after they get on campus but Rippy was a big recruit, a lot of big time schools wanted him. While that thought is not fool proof it also gives me a higher hope than if we were talking about a 2* no one recruited

Daigh is a junior, but like Webb he is slow and short. Would have been a decent Big 12 LB, not a PAC 12 LB.

I'd also rather have high expectations and be disappointed than being negative all the time.

Webb was one of the most frustrating players on defense this year. Did not play like an experienced senior.

You're right, I am basing my evaluations of Rippy off of basically nothing. I do know a few things though...

1. Webb was a undersized and slow OLB who was a complete liability in the passing game. Rippy is a tall LB who has speed and is very athletic
2. I know rankings are whatever after they get on campus but Rippy was a big recruit, a lot of big time schools wanted him. While that thought is not fool proof it also gives me a higher hope than if we were talking about a 2* no one recruited

Daigh is a junior, but like Webb he is slow and short. Would have been a decent Big 12 LB, not a PAC 12 LB.

I'd also rather have high expectations and be disappointed than being negative all the time.
Webb's speed has never been his issue. He's a top special teams player for a reason. Where are you getting this slow stuff from?

Rippy certainly sounds promising, but wasn't he like 190 pounds when he arrived? He needs to put on some serious weight or he'll be failing to tackle people just like Webb.

Greer certainly looks the part, but hasn't ever really done anything that impressed me.

Webb's speed has never been his issue. He's a top special teams player for a reason. Where are you getting this slow stuff from?

Watching him try to hang in coverage with TE, maybe it's his angles...idk he's just never looked fast enough to me at this level to be a starting LB. His tackling for a senior is awful as well.

It sounds like we're really in agreement that the O-Line is the biggest thing to fix. That's great because I think that offensive line is pretty much the key to everything on offense. You give the QB more time to make progressions, WR/TE's more time to get open and RB bigger holes to work with.

Even if Jack Harris doesn't apply for the 6th year and get it... I think we're still in okay shape here.

LT- If Harris comes back, it's likely he keeps this spot. If he doesn't, we're still probably okay. Mark Mustoe could do well here, or he could see time at RT. Jeromy Irwin could be in the mix here, as could RS Freshman Sam Kronshage.

LG- This is still Crabb's job to lose, but my favorite to start here is Jeromy Irwin. The starting LG position could be a nice consolation prize for him if he doesn't win either tackle spot. He's a strong player but RS Freshman Johnathan Huckins could take this job as well. He's been the only RS Freshman to remain on the depth chart and if injuries dictated I'm sure that redshirt would have come off. Honestly I see Crabb competing to move to RG or C.

C- I believe that Dan Munyer is a good player. He's gotten a few accolades from his team and from outside sources. Maybe he struggled a bit as a guard, but I think he's probably better at center anyway. I think that's the first move that the team should make. Munyer should open at center. Brad Cotner is probably his most likely backup. Cotner has starting experience and he's pretty steady. Not great, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

RG- I'd put Crabb here. He's a decent player, but over here he'd probably have an easier time of it. Huckins could push for time here as well. Alex Kelley won the job out of spring, but never held onto it. He's an interesting name to keep an eye on.

RT- A lot of people are upset with Nembot, but he started every single game here. Hopefully that experience and another season of S&C and film study serves him well. He should face stiff competition from Mustoe, Irwin, Kronshage and others. There's some young talent on the way as well.

Combine all that with the fact that there are several JUCO's still on the way, I think our offensive line has a shot to be really good. With all the former Buff offensive lineman in the NFL (Nate Solder, Tyler Polumbus, David Bakhtiari, and Andre Gurode) we could start selling CU to players as "Lineman University".

The OL being good is wishful thinking IMO. Just hope we can be competent there. Depth is still very suspect.

Last game of the season and Nembot couldn't pass block for longer than a second. WTF

I'm excited to see Irwin, can't say I'm confident anyone else will make much of an impact. We'll have some depth and options at least I guess. Really hope we can land those JUCOs.

Hopefully everyone being a year older makes the difference. A guy like Crabb didn't play til RS JR and he was ok. Granted he got destroyed yesterday, but he was mostly solid all season for someone with minimal experience.

we need JC on O line in the worst way. I'm not impressed with anyone on the unit at this point. O line that can actually block makes everyone else on the team better. No line blocking and it doesn't matter if you have the best WR in the country playing for you.

And we need to quit calling the stupid read option if we are never actually going to have the QB keep the ball.

It's too bad the staff didn't steal Tyler Winston from their commit list when they came to CU. I really liked his film and he had a pretty awesome season for them as a true freshman. Would've helped a ton to have him this year and the coming seasons. Maybe had some bad grades and was limited to MWC schools.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546414/tyler-winston

Looks like he had an offer from Northwestern, so the grades couldn't have been that bad. Also looks like he committed after Big Mac split and before the new coach was announced. Not sure why they didn't go after him.

Looks like he had an offer from Northwestern, so the grades couldn't have been that bad. Also looks like he committed after Big Mac split and before the new coach was announced. Not sure why they didn't go after him.

Hm, I'm pretty sure I remember looking over their commits and only really liking him :lol: He had a UCLA offer apparently too, so maybe grades weren't the issue. Hard to believe he preferred SJSU over NW and UCLA, though..

Don't see a lot of 6'7'' guards out there.

We did it with Ryan Miller.

That was a matter of agility following his injury. It wasn't an attempt to cover up technique problems. Miller was pretty solid that way.

Nembot's the opposite issue. But Miller is about the same height as Nembot and we had OTs that were shorter than him on that OL. (I just wanted to make that point.)

That said, I don't like the idea of moving Nembot inside. When a guy's struggling with techniques, the solution is not to switch his position and make him learn new techniques.

That said, I don't like the idea of moving Nembot inside. When a guy's struggling with techniques, the solution is not to switch his position and make him learn new techniques.

I think you're right. Nembot's got a lot of potential. I think keeping him at tackle and working on his technique makes the most sense.

Back