What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How happy are you with the 2023 CU football season overall?

How happy are you with the 2023 CU football season overall?

• Very happy

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Somewhat happy

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Somewhat unhappy

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
somewhat unhappy. still optimistic/but a little "show me" in the mix moving forward

edit: maybe encouraged is a better word than optimistic.....

Somewhat Happy, because we have Prime and his power of publicity and what his people at SMAC can do that nobody else can do
Shedeur is a plus with the right OC and system, and there is a lot of skill talent
I feel like if Prime can tap into his magic bag and help with NIL in the way that he wants to see NIL be used, then we could be super special
Lots of IF's

Happy
The First 6 weeks of the season were incredible, and now we're heading into Prime's wheelhouse (recruiting, promoting, and building) . . . How could I not be happy?

Somewhat unhappy solely based on the Stanford second half and the Oregon State decision before halftime. I've never been so pissed off based on coaching decisions as I was during those games. Thrilled to have Prime and hope we can regain that start of season energy, momentum, and media coverage. But that losing streak and specifically those two games, almost killed me 😅

Neither happy or unhappy. A whole lotta 'meh' with a feeling that the program took a step in the right direction.

I put somewhat happy cause obvious improvement. Need to continue that.

I also hate the end of the PAC12.

That reminded me of @Big Jim. He vanished halfway through the Stanford game. Is he okay?

Went with somewhat happy but was a bit torn between this and somewhat unhappy. Given the 3-0 start and what 100% should have been 5-2, to end up 4-8 is very disappointing. But on the positive side the win over TCU was an incredible high followed by the win over the fuskers and all the hype for those 2 weeks following the TCU win.

I meant to put somewhat unhappy but wasn’t paying attention. Already been said but should have won 6 at least, threw a couple games away.

Somewhat unhappy beause this team should have won 6. The bright side is that most of our losses were by less than 10. I see 7 wins next year if we can shore up the lines and get a decent OC in the building.

Anyone who isn't at least somewhat happy needs to go back to the DVR and watch a game or two from the Dorrell era.

I'm not happy with where we are but I am happy with how far we have come considering the program that Prime took over.

I'm very happy with the season. There have been disappointing moments, but being interesting and winning some really fun games at the beginning was wonderful.

Somewhat happy.

The things many feared could derail our season (trenches on both sides) were the exact things that did, in fact derail our season.

I'm confident Prime is going to land some good transfers along both lines. We have some NIL money now, and it needs to go to the hog mollies first and foremost.

I think many would agree that with just better play on the O-line, this team is sitting on at least 7 wins.

I had gotten to a place where I realized CU football was making me miserable.

So I did a lot of introspection and came out the other end accepting that CU was never going to ever fully commit to being a football power again.

Based on that, I was able to deal ok with having a HC and program that was mediocre at recruiting with realistic expectations of building a very professional operating culture that won more than it lost and every so often could deliver a year when we won 10 and were still in conference contention in November.

It's why I favored hiring Bronco Mendenhall - he fit that CU culture and expectation level.

It's why I wanted Coach Prime, but didn't treat it as realistic because it required CU to reinvent itself as something it wasn't.

Well, CU shocked me by going the CP path, reinventing itself, and committing to pursuing greatness in football. So it's impossible for me to not be happy, fully supportive, and 100% believing.

A first season that fell short of win potential and had some hiccups doesn't change anything for me. It's about the fundamentals and the process. We're in a great place right now and the recruiting is going to be on another level from last year - with the talent being brought onto a roster that is already far from being an empty cupboard.

Somewhat happy. If I have to grade this season, I'd go C+.

Positives: Definitely better talent. Shedeur and the skill spots.
Negatives: Coaching. We have the right guy at the top, but I see problems with the assistant coaches. I think you can make an argument that half this staff (or more) can be upgraded.

I tend to be pretty optimistic as a sports fan and truly thought we’d win 6-7 games going into the season. To be well on our way to that and just collapse in the second half of the season is pretty disappointing. After TCU, the Stanford game is the one I’ll remember most from this season, that one is probably going to stick with me forever.

I had gotten to a place where I realized CU football was making me miserable.

So I did a lot of introspection and came out the other end accepting that CU was never going to ever fully commit to being a football power again.

Based on that, I was able to deal ok with having a HC and program that was mediocre at recruiting with realistic expectations of building a very professional operating culture that won more than it lost and every so often could deliver a year when we won 10 and were still in conference contention in November.

It's why I favored hiring Bronco Mendenhall - he fit that CU culture and expectation level.

It's why I wanted Coach Prime, but didn't treat it as realistic because it required CU to reinvent itself as something it wasn't.

Well, CU shocked me by going the CP path, reinventing itself, and committing to pursuing greatness in football. So it's impossible for me to not be happy, fully supportive, and 100% believing.

A first season that fell short of win potential and had some hiccups doesn't change anything for me. It's about the fundamentals and the process. We're in a great place right now and the recruiting is going to be on another level from last year - with the talent being brought onto a roster that is already far from being an empty cupboard.
I was feeling pretty disappointed yesterday until I had a chance to think about it and read some stuff like what you’ve mentioned.

And here’s what I concluded:

We beat CSU and Nebraska this year. And any year we do both is a success and is also fun.

Let’s do it again in ‘24 but make some big leaps ahead too.

Before the season, I said that four wins with this schedule would be amazing. So by that standard, the season was amazing.

Of course, when you start 3-0, expectations change a little. But the standard is the standard, so I go back to that.

Here's the thing with college football: The highs are never meant to last. Even Alabama fans have diminishing returns on their decade plus at the top.

So it's good to enjoy the highs when they reveal themselves and bask in their pleasure. The lows will always come - it's part of the game.

From that perspective, the high of those first three weeks was unprecedented. I've never been part of something like that as a fan (it was a different thing than the 1990 season). If you measure a season by the high of the highs, then damn, that was a great season.

And then there was the feeling in Folsom this season. It looked different and felt different. The students were out of their ****ing minds.

That was a fun season.

Bowl game was my line and we underperformed.

1) We obviously had a blind spot in our recruiting for linemen.
2) in my opinion great coaching could have helped us achieve at least mediocre performance on the line
3) our play calling doesn’t seem to me to be all that innovative or adaptable (even with the change).
4) at times I think our program lets the hype over ride our own good sense.

Having said all that we went from 1-11 to 4-8, brought a ton of talent into the program, adjusted rules and policies to let us keep doing it, brought some passion back to the fan base, brought some serious money in so the machine is started. I’m looking forward to recruiting season around here.

Bowl game was my line and we underperformed.

1) We obviously had a blind spot in our recruiting for linemen.
2) in my opinion great coaching could have helped us achieve at least mediocre performance on the line
3) our play calling doesn’t seem to me to be all that innovative or adaptable (even with the change).
4) at times I think our program lets the hype over ride our own good sense.

Having said all that we went from 1-11 to 4-8, brought a ton of talent into the program, adjusted rules and policies to let us keep doing it, brought some passion back to the fan base, brought some serious money in so the machine is started. I’m looking forward to recruiting season around here.
It wasnt a blind spot. They went where the money was. It’s fools errand to believe we can sustainably compete against the bigger schools to buy good lineman. College football is semi pro now. There isnt really a level playing field anymore.

Last edited:
It wasnt a blind spot. They went where the money was. It’s fools errand to believe we can sustainably compete against the bigger schools to buy good lineman. College football is semi pro now. There isnt really a level playing field anymore.
He’s talking about a coaching blind spot for the OL. Also, it’s never been a level playing field in CFB.

Back