What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How We Are Better

I saw CU get "ass raped" by Sacramento State and Montana State and recognize CU paid several hundred thousand for the privilege. And I thought of your candy ass OOC scheduling arguement about needing wins. Then I saw Folsom fill up with less than 40K against the likes of Charleston Southern. Again, I thought about your candy ass OOC arguement. [1]

The fans and recruits see through hollow victories. How much confidence do players really get by trailing Central Arkansas at the beginning of the forth quarter, while playing in front of a less than capacity crowd and on a TV network that isn't available in most US households? [2]

Then I see you once again bastardize my preference for an A-B-C scheduling scheme as some lecture by a college kid going to school on his daddy's dime who has never used his hard earned money to travel out of state to watch CU football game. You, 'Tini, are on record, as being a fan of USC, Michigan, adore Oregon's uniform fashion statement, and are one of the 85% of the Bama idiot fan base. Yet you have never attended a game at any of these institutions. [3]

Then on the very same day you lecture an OOS season ticket holder about needing wins, you hypocritically turn into a sunshine pumper in the game day thread, where you espouse the virtue of being positive and seeing progress in defeat. You can't have it both ways, where every OOC game is a win following the MSU and SAC disasters. Those FCS losses have done their part in damaging the program and the fan base. [4]

You framed your question wrong. I'd rather watch CU win. But when it comes to watching another loss, I'd prefer it be against a good team on some fabled campus and not against some chump that is scheduled to placate the likes of some dope smoking red light texting video game addict like yourself.

Then there is the reality that scheduling is done years in advance. CU has its schedule set for 2014 and 2015 with cupcakes UMASS, CSU and Hawaii already booked.

So in reality, by arguing that CU should continue with a candy ass OOC schedule, you have no confidence that Mike MacIntyre can win enough P12 games to get to a bowl game next year or the year after that. [5]

What CU needs is coaching and talented players who can execute for four quarters. What CU needs is leadership who are passionate about CU being competitive in the conference of champions. What CU needs are fans who fill Folsom to see some quality football.

You've got your CCC schedule this year and the two that follow. And the results of that existing schedule will speak for themselves in both bowl eligibility and attendance. I get that the schedule is what it is for now. And it's soft and safe and filled with cupcakes, just like you like it.

Congrats.

By 2016, we will be rolling, right? Good. Because we have an ABC OOC already set with SJSU, CSU and Michigan. Are you wanting to take Michigan off the schedule three years from now? Are you saying CU needs a CCC cupcake schedule in 2017 and beyond, too?

If you are so sure CU is going to need a weak OOC for the next five years in order to become bowl qualified, then you basically expect MacIntyre and CU to be mediocre for a long time. Nice statement, you nutless sunshine pumper.

1. That's true, we did lose to two FCS teams, and that is completely unacceptable. it is also an unlikely event to happen and your odds of getting a W against one of them is much, much better than scheduling a mediocre BCS team, especially since we have really struggled against any BCS team the past three years.

2. Well the last part of your comment has zero to do with CU and a W is a W and recruits like W's and teams who are rebuilding beating teams they are supposed to.

3. Cool story. I'm 21, sorry I'm not a well versed traveler at this point in my life. Maybe with all this cash I'm swimming in right now I can arrange those trips ASAP. Let's also ignore other obligations I've had damn near every Fall Saturday since I was 8, forget 'em, it's much more important to go to a stadium half way around the country. I would love to go to The Big House, see the Iron Bowl, see the great rivalries in college football but I do not have the money to buy airplane tickets to fly there on Friday night and fly back on Sunday, sorry but maybe you've heard of the whole broke college student thing. And what exactly is the issue with liking Oregon's uniforms? They are marketed to my age group, they don't really care what old ****s such as yourself think about them. And you know what? Millions of others like Oregon's uniforms just like myself, that's why Oregon is now the most well recognized brand in college football. Also, where the **** did I say I like USC? I despise every other program in the Pac 12.

4. Ah yes wanting easy OOC wins is the exact same as going on the road and playing a team that has been ranked in the top 10 this season and has two losses to top 15 teams, both of which were on the road. Bravo, Skiddy. Also, have you been paying attention at all in the time I've been here? I've always been a sunshine pumper, I don't just become one in gameday threads. I prefer to look at things positively, not negatively so shoot me. It is amazing how taboo being positive is on this site. I'm not denying that losing to FCS teams has hurt us, but so have a hundred other things.

5. I have 100% confidence in MacIntyre, but why do we purposely hold ourselves back? SOS isn't going to matter for us for a while, and 6-6 and going to a bowl game is a whole helluva lot better than 4-8 but being able to say that we played good teams, and going 3-6 in conference play is going to be a lot easier for us in the short term than having to win 4 games in conference to go to a bowl game. If I had to choose between 3-5 [CU's record] and 1-8 [Cal's record], give me 3-5 all damn day. We play nine BCS games/year in a top conference, we can afford to play two or three ****ty teams in the OOC. And you know what, if we are in the position to be able to compete with good BCS teams then I guarantee you we can use some $$ to schedule that game.

Playing easy OOC schedules seems to work fine for the dozens of other BCS programs that do it, but hey CU is too good for that. Woo gotta love that elitist attitude!

And yes I do want to take Michigan off the schedule, the biggest reason being that it is a one and done game. You must be a fan of Bohn's strategy and scheduling one and dones!

We play 9 conference games with 1 ooc game being csu. That leaves 2 teams we can schedule against.

If that makes a difference in who gets to go to the holiday bowl or the nm bowl sign me up for playing 2 shot teams.
:nod:

Why purposely hamstring yourself when rebuilding? hey we went 4-8 but at least we played a good OOC schedule! Who cares about bowl games? Certainly not recruits or anything, SOS is so much more important!

where the **** did I say I like USC? I despise every other program in the Pac 12.

Right here. A teen age kid has the right to change his mind.
it was a fun jog down memory lane finding that gem.

This would be a good time to point out that its okay to agree to disagree on OOC scheduling.
CU will be bowling in 2016, even with Michigan on the schedule.

Now get off my lawn!

And yes I do want to take Michigan off the schedule, the biggest reason being that it is a one and done game. You must be a fan of Bohn's strategy and scheduling one and dones!
I'm with tini on this one actually.

I don't want a CCC schedule, or a BCC schedule, or a BBC schedule. I too want an ABC schedule. But... the A's are home & home, or, maybe, in special circumstances, one and done true neutral site (Michigan in Chicago is not "neutral") games with ridiculous payouts from some media sponsor. The B's are 2 for 1's and the C's are one and done paycheck games. So yes, I want Michigan off the schedule unless they are going to pay a return visit to Boulder; if not, **** them, I'd rather play a mid-level B1G team home & home than a marquee team one and done in their place.

I'm with tini on this one actually.

I don't want a CCC schedule, or a BCC schedule, or a BBC schedule. I too want an ABC schedule. But... the A's are home & home, or, maybe, in special circumstances, one and done true neutral site (Michigan in Chicago is not "neutral") games with ridiculous payouts from some media sponsor. The B's are 2 for 1's and the C's are one and done paycheck games. So yes, I want Michigan off the schedule unless they are going to pay a return visit to Boulder; if not, **** them, I'd rather play a mid-level B1G team home & home than a marquee team one and done in their place.

In principle, I agree with the A game being home and home.
Resuming the ABC schedule in 2016 gives MacIntyre 3.5 years of recruiting and getting his system going. There had better be progress by then, including narrowing the talent gap with P12 quality players against teams like Utah, Arizona, Washington State, Oregon State and Cal.

I am reserving judgement on scrapping Michigan based solely on the one-and-done arrangement. I am pragmatic enought to realize that this isn't "Bohn's strategy", nor something I like. In my view, a 1-and-done against the likes of Michigan in 2016 (or Ohio State in 2011) is the AD being backed into a financial corner by DiStephano/Benson/Regents.

One of the first news item coming from Rick George was a request to forgive $9M in AD debt following the shortfall caused by switching conferences and buying out previous coaches and Mike Bohn. The Regents said, "no".

Where is George going to make up that shortfall?
Scheduling FCS schools to come to Boulder costs the school upwards of $400K-$600K per game. That's money out of pocket for what is proving to be a less than capacity draw in Folsom. And the FCS game is likely to be on P12 Mountain, excluding much of the country from tuning in on TV.

Scheduling a 1-and-done away game to BCS powerhouse comes with a paycheck in the neighborhood of $1.5M. This game has the likelihood of being carried on a major national network. The ONLY time this option makes sense is when season tix holders also are guaranteed SIX home games in Folsom.

So long as CU's hardlne leadership is not open to private donations (with strings attached) and not open to forgiving AD, debt, then the less than optimum away body-bag game becomes a strategy that is viable as a necessary evil. I'm not a fan of this. But I'm not some pollyanna who pretends CU is flush with cash from the P12 network, boosters, student fees, ticket sales, merchandise, and from the university itself.

If CU would be transparent and say, "We have a plan..." And that plan involves building a new IPF and Renovating Folsom on the condition of maximizing OOC conference revenue generation, then I'm all ears. The $9M could be covered by six 1-and-done over the next 12 years. Included in those six could be Michigan, LSU, Old Miss, Wisconsin, Texas, and Florida. It might jeopardize bowl eligibility. It also might deliver a signature win that energizes the fan base.

In some circumstances, I'd be perfectly OK with that strategy. And I suspect that this ABC arrangement with those powerhouse programs on the schedule might deliver equal or better recruiting than playing a bunch of CCC patsies that may or may not lead to a low tier bowl game in New Mexico or Shreveport or DFW.

Back