1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I agreed with the fake punt on 4th down

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Fire away. But right before it happened, I said that HCMM needs to show that he's trying to win instead of just cover the spread and that I wouldn't be against going for it in that spot. Didn't work, but they weren't going to win that game by punting. I was glad to see the fake even though it didn't work.

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Weren't they down by 14 at that point? I didn't object to going on 4th and goal for exactly the reason you're stating. But a long shot play (Darragh had to make up a lot of yardage just to get to the LOS, much less gain another 7 or whatever they needed) in field position where they're pretty much guaranteed to make it a 3 score lead if you don't make it? I really didn't think that was a smart risk.

But as much as we can debate those two decisions, do we feel significantly different if they kick a FG, then punt, and end up losing 37-23? In hindsight, the fake punt ended their realistic chances of winning. The way it played out, it didn't do much but make the final score look worse...

3. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

I agree. If you have a team that is physically outgunned, this is what you do.

4. OrangeBowl

OrangeBowl Club Member Club Member

For where they were on the field,seemed like a hawkins call to me.
    Might as well keep the unit on the field thats supposed to be able to pick up 5 yards.In theory atleast.

5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I get that we need to take some risks to win in the conference. That wasn't a wise one, IMO. I'd just assume keep the offense out there. Need some help in making fakes far more convincing (see Oregon today)

6. b3buffs

b3buffs Club Member Club Member

My only issue with it was that you have an upback standing there talking to O'Neill for about 20 seconds making it obvious they were going to fake It. That is stuff that needs to be talked through on the sideline before heading out.

7. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I agree. He was playing to win rather than trying to milk the clock and keep the score respectable.

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This. It was a stupid move. A desperate move.

9. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

First, not kicking the FG was idotic. There was little chance we were going to get the TD. on the fake punt, I was so disgusted, I was leaving and didn't see the play. Just heard it on the radio To me, the punter has to read the play and decide whether he can get it or not. On 4th and 10, he has to pick up 25 yards. A quarter of a football field. If you are dead set on doing it you either snap to an up guy and or throw a pass. But maybe they told O'Neil to use his own discretion.

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

agreed with both the fake punt and going for it on 4th.

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Wrong yet again! :lol:

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

That said... I disliked HOW we executed the fake punt. having Darragh run for it to the short side of the field... ugh. Wish we had a blocker with athleticism.

13. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I joked about running the fake. I did not expect it.

14. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Mike MacIntyre, the Irish riverboat gambler...I don't know, I would have kicked the FG, running a fake punt that deep is damn risky, but I'm not going to criticize the call.

15. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

The problem is MacIntyre couldn't figure out whether he wanted to win or just keep the score respectable. I have major issues with the coaching at the end of the first half. We were down four and it didn't seem like we were trying to put points on the board, we were just trying to get into the locker room down four. So we don't get a first down and Zona scores to go up eleven going in, and gets the ball to start the second half. Game over. MacIntyre coached to keep it close/not to lose for three plus quarters, then decided he wanted to win too late.

16. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

Me too. I could only laugh when it actually happened.

17. class01

class01 Active Member

Terrible call by Coach Care Bear (the whole HCMM thing makes me want to puke). When I was in school I saw Neuheisel try the exact same BS against K-State right in front of the student section and it has stuck with me as one of the dumbest calls I had ever seen. Deja vu.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Macintyre as he definitely seems to be doing good things, but there are areas where I hope he improves. For one, his half time speech must need some work, because we've come out FLAT in the 2 pac12 games we had a sliver of hope in.

18. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Coach Mac didn't make that call according to Darragh on Twitter:

Darragh o'neill @Darraghneill8 Papers got it wrong that Mac made the bad play call on the fake. That was 100% on me, shouldn't have run it

19. class01

class01 Active Member

Well f@&$ him then....:lol:

20. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I know he's supposed to read it (according to Mac), and obviously made a poor read. However, I'm really impressed that a player would go out of his way to take 100% of the blame away from a coach who deserves at least some of it.

21. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Not really. We answered with a TD and were down 7 late in the 3rd iirc

22. Buffnik

I think that's the point. HCMM is trying to keep us in the game into half and then rolls the dice when the time comes where the team needs to make some extra momentum plays to steal a win. We're not good enough to just line up, play by the book, and finish with more points than a PAC-12 opponent. We need turnover margin, fortunate penalties, some explosive plays, and the opponent to miss some chances. We'd gotten all that and were down 2 TDs late despite giving up like twice as many yards as we'd gained. HCMM was rightly in desperation mode. We weren't going to win by kicking field goals and needed to find a way to manufacture extra possessions. If Sefo would have hit that 4th & Goal touchdown throw, HCMM wouldn't have had to fake the punt. If we'd kicked the FG and had been down 11 instead of 14, he still would have had to fake the punt.

Going back lack to the end of the 1st half, doing nothing with the drive that started with around 3 minutes left was the killer and flipped the game... especially with the defense allowing an easy TD on the AZ possession that followed.

23. Buffnik

Like that Darragh is such a stand up guy. Accountability is hugely important in a winning culture. This is a positive sign.

Also like that HCMM took the heat instead of throwing a player under the bus.

We we just need more Jimmies & Joes. Coaching, play calling and players 'wanting it' and 'getting it' do not seem to be the issues right now. We're just outgunned.

24. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Confused by your post, you discredit yourself with the "coach care bear" comment, then want to puke about MM, and then cautiously optimistic? The anecdotal Neuheisel comparison doesn't make sense either. MM is a (one-time) proven program builder, and the other guy systematically disassembled a program.

25. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I think some on this board want to take anything that MacIntyre does and try to turn it into something great. The fake punt was a bad call, when I saw it my first reaction was WTF!!! That has not changed thinking about it. But in the course of any game there are going to be some calls that any coach wishes he would have back. The bigger issue is we got steamrolled again by a lower level Pac12 team.

26. class01

class01 Active Member

Your thinking too hard. I threw out the "care bear" nickname as pushback for the "Head Coach Mike Macintyre" references because it seems like some pathetic SEC college FB coach worship.

The jury is still out on Macintyre - one good season at SJSt doesn't make him a proven program builder a la Jim Harbaugh. Like I said, there have been some encouraging signs but I'm not ready anoint him yet. I'm not crazy about touchy-feely football coaches and some of his calls have been questionable. If he called the fake punt then I'm worried because I've seen it before...

27. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Personally, using HCMM is a lot easier than typing head coach mike macintyre over and over again. But, it's obviously a sign of hero worship for the others on this site.

28. Buffnik

I have a small shrine to MacIntyre in my home. That is why I type HCMM.

29. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

His initials and title make you sick? The ****?

Sent from a red light

30. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

^Has not read the thread

Sent from a red light